Carrier ATT Next Iphone Upgrade - tradein required?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eleite, Sep 12, 2016.

1. eleite macrumors regular

eleite

I'm on the ATT Next plan. My current iphone is completely paid off. I upgraded to 7+. Am I required to trade in my current iphone or since it's paid off can I sell it on ebay? Everywhere I see says I have to trade in, but nowhere does it seem to say if that's the case or not if the phone is 100% paid off.

2. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

You don't have to trade in the phone. In fact - don't! If its paid off it's your phone.

3. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

If you trade it in, they will credit you the cost of a new iPhone 7 32g and you will only have to pay the difference since u got a 7+. But u will be locked into another two year contract.

4. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

I forgot about the trade in special ATT is doing. Thanks for mentioning it.

5. eleite thread starter macrumors regular

eleite

So the trade-in locks you into a two year contract even if you go with the Next plan? Hmm... I will visit my local store - thanks for the tip!

6. elistan macrumors 6502a

I don't think 2-year contracts exist anymore...? Instead, eleite will be on the hook for the cost of the phone. Which for eleite will be retail price minus trade-in credit of the old phone if they decide to do the trade-in, which isn't required. Pay it off day one, and eleite can do anything they want with the service. Pay it off via installments, and eleite can still do anything they want with the service - but will remain on the hook for the installment payments.