ATT offering $200 credits to switch from T-Mobile!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Lammercy, Jan 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lammercy macrumors regular

Lammercy

2. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Hmm... I'm very excited for CES from all the carriers.

That being said, I don't understand why these credits are becoming such a big deal. 3rd party dealers have offered similar credits for years. My local Sprint dealer has been offering a $250 credit to switch for a long time now.

If the marketing teams for AT&T/VZW/Sprint were smart, they would be directly attacking Sprint customers right now. NV has been notoriously delayed and in cities after the upgrades, it STILL sucks.

3. Lammercy thread starter macrumors regular

Lammercy

3rd party deals like that have always scared me. Heard way too many stories of people being cheated of those deals because the third party reseller didn't communicate with the actual corporate retailer. This is interesting because for once it finally seems that consumers are winning in the cellular phone market.

4. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Until we are able to buy the phone we want and take it to whatever carrier we choose, we will not win in this market.

Prime example: Take your ATT iPhone to Sprint, or vice versa. Even with LTE, it won't work because of the different bands used. You'd still have to buy a new phone that works on their network.

BL.

5. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

That's the nice thing about Verizon iPhones. They work on anything.

6. CEmajr macrumors 601

Excellent. I like it. Competition is doing wonders for the cellular situation in the US lately.

7. VTECaddict macrumors 6502

Nice move, but I don't think this will have as big of an effect. With no-contract T-Mobile plans, people that want to leave are people that don't have coverage where they need with T-Mobile. In which case they would have probably switched out with or without the incentive. This is just a nice bonus to help with the cost if they bought a phone through EIP. I'm guessing AT&T will require a new device purchase to be eligible for the credit.

It's not going to entice any one that's happy with T-Mobile service over, because you will still end up paying more per month for service. T-Mobile paying off ETFs for Uncarrier4.0 (supposedly) has the opposite effect, because you can get out of your other contract AND save money per month on top of that.

8. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

I would take this offer, but id rather not sign a 2-year contract.

9. blarivee macrumors 6502

You can do that, just don't get a subsidized device.

10. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Problem is, T-Mobile is going the way of the dodo. After Dutch Telecom abandons them that is.

11. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

Really? Tell that to the 2.1 million new customers they got in 6 months last year. If anything, they're taking over.

12. 6thDAY macrumors 6502a

$200 to rid my no-contract, unlimited text and data?

no thanks

13. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Dutch Telecom has wanted out for the longest time of US market. Why do you think T-Mobile was offered to AT&T?

If Dutch Telecom wants out, they'll get out, regardless how well T-Mobile is doing in the last quarter. Mind you one quarter != entire performance since T-Mobile started.

14. VTECaddict macrumors 6502

It's Deutsche Telekom (translates to German Telecom). Not Dutch Telecom.

15. MarvelouzV macrumors member

I will never go back to AT&T until they lower their monthly prices and offer unlimited data. I don't care how much they offer to switch I will not switch.

16. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

As above poster said, it's a different company, and 6 months = 2 quarters, not one. I'm starting to have grave concerns for your grasp of the situation.

17. EbookReader macrumors 65816

isn't T-Mobile USA on the stock-market?

isn't T-Mobile profitable? (see their income statement)

isn't T-Mobile gaining a lot customers? 1.1 million in 2Q and 1.0 million in 3Q, with a lot more to come in 4Q?

It's hard to fantom a company that is profitable, gaining customers to go bankrupt.

18. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Didn't know spelling of name, hence I use Dutch, which gives you the idea behind it. Otherwise, irrelevant as the European company behind T-Mobile wants out.

Doesn't matter. End result is Deutsche Telekom still wants out. After that T-Mobile will be left high and dry. 2 good quarters don't matter when the entire company has been performing very poorly since the start.

Gaining customers does not necessarily mean or imply more earnings. You have to check how much was spent to get those customers. If the expenditures were very high (but profit made) it means T-Mobile will grow, but very slowly.

Yes, they are in the stock exchange, but Deutsche Telekom holds a vast percentage (I think majority) stock holdings.

19. EbookReader macrumors 65816

if DT abandon T-Mobile by selling their shares on the stock market, why would T-Mobile goes the way of the Dodo?

Other investors will buy their shares.

Yes, gaining new customers can be a bad thing if these new customers are unprofitable. But that is not the case. These new customers are profitable customers for T-Mobile.

T-Mobile is better off with 45 million customers than with just 43 millions. If you don't believe me, check their stock price back in April/May vs today.

20. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

If DT goes away by selling everything, T-Mobile's stock price will plummet. Investors will be very wary of T-Mobile if T-Mobile's main investor goes away. A fear shock will go around and it is more likely that current US investors will bail further crippling T-Mobile.

Of coarse all this sounds horrible and gloomy. But it is a real fear. So real DT offered T-Mo to AT&T. But we know how that ended up. Also, real enough that T-Mobile also pushed for the deal and DT was also known for pushing it.

21. JackieInCo macrumors 603

If I could only get better than 0.00 and edge speeds on AT&T here in Denver, I would love to switch back. T-Mobile has them beat where I live so I just can't go back. It hasn't changed in seven years since getting the original iPhone so I see them never changing.

22. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

What you guys with the gloom and doom are missing is that, yes, T-Mo was in dire straits for a while, but the last year has been superlative for them. They're adding customers, increasing revenues, profiting just fine.

What's going to happen is that T-Mobile is going to grow and grow until they're one of the "big three". AT&T and Verizon, initially secure, will respond by shaking up their plan structures to be more consumer friendly, and T-Mo will lose its previous momentum. They will jostle and jockey back and forth, all the while improving their respective networks, and in 5-10 years which one people have will be determined mostly by who has the best signal at their house or place of work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.