ATT or Verizon for Better Calls?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BlindMellon, Jun 20, 2011.

1. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

A year ago I bought out my Verizon contract to get an iPhone with ATT, but boy does the calling part of the plan suck.

Now that Verizon has the iPhone, who has better, more reliable calling?

At this point, I'm not too concerned about data speeds, I just want good, dependable calling.

2. aristobrat macrumors G5

Every major consumer report I've seen varies voice quality by region. Where are you primarily going to be making calls from?

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Verizon is more reliable for calls. I've been disconnected on both ends maybe 1/5 of the time. It really depends on where you live and travel frequently because Verizon has dead spots too. But in the entire US overall, Verizon is more reliable. I know in the LA and SF area, Verizon is rock solid versus AT&T's spotty connections. And where I live in Silicon Valley, AT&T isn't that much better either. If you travel internationally, stick with a GSM iPhone, preferably one of those new unlocked iPhone 4s.

4. wordoflife, Jun 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2011

wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

This whole thing is dependent on your location. In my opinion, I haven't noticed that big of a difference between them both. When I plugged in my very old Sprint phone the other day and accidentally tried calling a number, it gave me a message that the phone wasn't activated, but the quality seemed to be really nice. That just might be due to the mentality of "CDMA has a better call quality" thing.

I think this video will help you, but again, it's really dependent on your location.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Opp3CcnrjYo

I haven't heard a big difference in call quality based on this video, or my personal experiences with both AT&T/Verizon.
    If, in general, you want more calling coverage in the United States, then you want CDMA. If you want more calling coverage around the world, you want GSM.

5. alent1234 macrumors 603

my call quality on at&t went up when i traded my iphone for a $20 htc phone

but the vz iphone has a qualcomm radio which is better than the crapfineon that the at&t iphone has

6. jackhdev macrumors 6502

Definitely Verizon. I tried out an AT&T iPhone for a month and dropped a call twice when I was talking with AT&T Support, lol! Verizon almost never drops my calls, and since AT&T doesn't know how to run a network properly, Verizon has noticeably faster network speeds (theoretically, AT&T's Internet is faster, but as I said, they don't know how to run a network, so Verizon's Network is much better performing).