ATT REP: "Removing Sim Voids Warranty"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by matty1551, Jul 15, 2009.

1. matty1551 macrumors 6502

Wow so i was calling regarding the activation process since I just got my 3gs in and I wanted to use it on a different line on my account than the one I upgraded it with. She told me that swapping the sim out on my own will void my warranty? WTF kind of crap is that. "Only a licensed apple proffessional can do this"

Sorry Guys, had to rant about this one

2. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

Right, did you ask why they include the McGyver paper clip, I mean the SIM ejector tool?

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

4. matty1551 thread starter macrumors 6502

She asked if I have a sim tool to remove it, im like "i can just use a paper clip"

5. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

He's right - an answer like that from a phone carrier is balderdash!

6. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

If you turn on your iPhone, it voids the warranty. If you so much as look at your iPhone, it will combust into flames.

IF YOU PURCHASE AN IPHONE, STEVE JOBS WILL BEAT YOU WITH A RED HOT POKER.

Did they not mention that too? Silly AT&T Reps.

7. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

Why not just use the tool it came with?

8. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Whoever you spoke to was obviously totally confused...

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Oh using a paperclip is wrong.

10. kicko macrumors 65816

thats funny!! they tell you to take the sim OUT when you have a hard time receiving a signal or data problem.

11. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

Wow. This means Apple sent out Aplle genius devices for the 3G and 3G S! We should feel so special!

12. Jeremy08 macrumors regular

The way i look at it when i call usually is not that they are totally confused, but that 9/10 att reps dont are ignorant and usually fairly incompetent and completely incapable of understanding the simplest issue without putting you through some sort of computerized line of questioning. The att reps might as well be outsourced to the middle east and asia like most of apple's calling (although i think some is), that way the person on the other end of the line would at least have half a brain, the problem then is being able to understand thick accents. Either way, i think that customer service and att are an oxymoron.

13. samcraig macrumors P6

Wait. That's a SIM removing tool?

I thought I used that to test the scratch-proofing of the screen.

Wow.. EPIC FAIL on my part!

14. dave006 macrumors 68020

Well that is an easy one, just ask the RSC to show you the MyCSP item that explains that warranty exclusion. This ranks up there with the Apple / AT&T reps that claim there are / were special iPhone only SIMs. :eek:

It sure is not in the Apple Warranty and the iPhone User Guide even shows you how use the included SIM removal tool that they included in every new iPhone 3G or 3GS.

Dave

15. matty1551 thread starter macrumors 6502

The sad part is... I almost took it to the apple store to have them do it. I didnt realize there was a sim unlocking tool right in the box.

16. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

I can sell you a box of 100 SIM removing tools for only $9.95. Just give me your credit card number :)

I'm surprised they said anything about the warranty. AT&T seems to want to keep as far as possible from the Apple warranty, claims and support. It's nice that employee was looking out for your best interest. ;)

17. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

I can sell you a box of 1000 SIM removing tools for only $0.95. Just give me your credit card number ;)

18. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

My son is in college in England and would really like those SIM removing tools. However, I am in Nigeria and would like to send you $400 for them. He really wants them, which is why I am willing to pay top dollar. Can you ship them to me? I will send check. :)

19. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

But mine has the patented red non-slip coating shown with the ejector retracted for your safety...

[​IMG]

No need to send a check. For your convenience please provide me with your bank routing and account numbers and we will expedite your order.

20. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

Thank you for a great laugh.

21. David G. macrumors 65816

Oh wow, it's been patented. And it's red, My favourite color too! Where do I sign up?

22. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

See, that was the OP's problem right there. He had a "red" paperclip which will definitely void the warranty. In order to avoid voiding the warranty (if not using the included SIM removal tool), one must use a "green" paperclip like this one...

[​IMG]

23. Speedracer04 macrumors 6502a

Speedracer04

Hahahaha this was great. I actually just got one of these emails. Thanks for making me actually "lol" at work. :D

24. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1438 I paperclip is what apple says to use.

Exactly, otherwise they'll confuse it with the water damage sensor in the SIM card slot, not to be confused with one of hundreds of other things that turn red there.

25. TsuaSai macrumors 6502