ATT Reversed CC Charge on iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 184550, Aug 9, 2009.

1. 184550 Guest

I did a quick Mroogle search and didn't come up with anything similar to my situation.

The brief version is I bought my first iPhone on July 2nd. The charge appeared on my credit card that night. The iPhone shipped to my local ATT store where I picked it up and activated it on July 6th. Then 2-3 days later the charge for my iPhone disappeared from my online credit card statement. The paper bill for my credit card charges for July came about 1 and half or two weeks ago and there wasn't a single iPhone charge.

The ATT bill for July has arrived and shows the new iPhone data plan and $18 early upgrade charge but doesn't show any type of charge for the iPhone.

So I was wondering if this has happened to or if anyone has heard of this happening to anyone else? If not, then hopefully I got a 'free' iPhone out of it. I should also note that that I am on a family plan with my parents and brother. The same thing happened to my brother also with his iPhone. The new data plan and upgrade charge but no charge for the actual iPhone.

2. chstr macrumors 6502a

chstr

color yourself lucky and whistle down the road

3. WinkWink726 macrumors regular

WinkWink726

+1
    Score! Bonus Round!
    Keep your mouth shut and revel in your good fortune! ;)

4. 184550 thread starter Guest

That's what I'm hoping for.:D

5. jacobgaul macrumors regular

it would be smart if you changed ur cc number, just call and tell them you lost your card this will prevent the charge from showing up down the road

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Now that would be acting like a theif.

To the OP:

Maybe your card was enrolled in "Your bank picks the tab" programs and your iPhone purchase happened to be one of the winning ones.

If his wasn't the case then consider yourself lucky but don't run from the charge. If it happens it happens and it was just late. You never know, for now enjoy!

7. calvy macrumors 65816

I'd keep the money tucked away somewhere for a while in case you do have to pay it. I don't think bank errors absolve you from debts. On the other hand I would not be surprised if AT&T's order system screwed this up and only put a hold on you card, but never an actual charge.

8. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

AT&T is waiting for you to spend the money and then they'll take the money from your credit card. You'll have the price of the iPhone and a negative balance with a nice fee, AT&T will get their money, while you take out a loan to pay the credit card company.....:eek::eek::eek:

9. 184550 thread starter Guest

That's what I'm thinking, when I ordered it, it took the guy several tries to get the 'charge' to go through on the on the computer.

Yeah, this is the only major purchase I've made all summer. I usually work all summer so when I go back up to school I don't have to work, so I'll defiantly have the $300 if and when the charge comes through.

10. army91c macrumors 6502a

Had the same thing happen when I bought a SA 1911 loaded lightweight (.45 cal pistol). Paid with my Amex. Charge NEVER showed up on the bill! 5 years later still hasn't. I wouldn't run from the charge as another has said, but I wouldn't bring it to their attention either. I didn't mind getting a $950 firearm for free.....