ATT Sales Rep at Local ATT Store......U'll Love This!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KidStallyn, Jun 4, 2010.

1. KidStallyn macrumors 6502

KidStallyn

So I've been trying to convince my wife to get an iPhone......But she's insistent that she doesn't need all the cool features. And that she doesn't want to pay $200 for the iPhone. I told her just to wait till Monday (end of the month at the latest) and you will be able to get a 3GS for 99 bux.

Long story short, she's anti apple for whatever reason, she just thinks she doesn't need all "those" features. So she goes out and gets a Samsung Impression. Nice phone, I love Samsung products, but there is absolutely no documentation on the phone. She has an issue with it in not displaying names on people in her contacts list. So she goes to a corporate ATT store for help. Turns out her only issue is that she didn't have the area code in the local numbers. Not a huge deal.

But in the whole process she tells them that how I'm suggesting her to wait and get an iPhone 3GS. The ATT rep starts saying that I have no idea what I'm talking about, and how they aren't even sure if there's going to be a new iPhone out, becasue Apple keeps pushing back the release date because of all the problems they're having with the new phone....and that Apple's not going to release the new iPhone until October at the earliest.......

Now you tell that to my un-tech-savvy wife, she immediately calls me to tell me that I'm full of crap because the ATT guy has to know more then I do about the release of the iPhone.....

Seriously....would HAVE LOVED to be there when this idiot started speaking out his tailpipe. If that were true....that kinda information would be ALL OVER the tech news websites. It's just crazy how adamant this guy was about his information.

So, until Monday, my wife doesn't think I know what I'm talking about..........Her quote...."It's like you going to a Dr. and telling him he's full of Crap and doesn't know what he's talking about". As I told her....it's actually a lot different.....I'm an engineer, and pretty much monitor every Apple related news website..........I would say that I have a LOT more credibility in this particular field this this un-degreed salesman who's trying to sell you a phone to make his paycheck bigger this week.

2. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

You need to divorce your wife- or demand more respect. :D

J/K about the divorce part

3. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

To be honest, the AT&T employee's opinion is worth as much as yours. No one really knows. This could be why Steve was so angry with the Engadget incident - because the phone isn't quite ready for production. Announcing it at WWDC, if it wasn't ready for sales, would be suicidal given that it would basically kill any iPhone sales, so if we don't see at WWDC, clearly something went wrong along the way ...

4. alm99 macrumors 6502

Tell her to get back in the kitchen and make you a sandwich.

5. elephunkman macrumors 65816

6. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Now's the time to profit!

See if she'd like to enter into a friendly wager.

And profit ;)

7. ImpostorOak macrumors member

ImpostorOak

Well, you have only three days until Apple announces the new phone and you get to have a nice chuckle and tell her, "I told you so!"

I remember back in 2007 when I was going to buy my first Mac (a MBP for college). I was waiting for them to update them and I knew it was going to be long before school started. I was at an Apple store with my parents (can't remember where or why...) and we were talking to a sales rep. I said I was going to buy a new MBP when they updated them in the summer. The sales rep said I was wrong and the earliest they would release them was in October when Leopard came out. My prediction was about 6 days off, but hers was like 6 months off, so I think I win :p It just goes to show, though, that the employees don't necessarily have any idea what they're talking about.

But Wal*Mart already has the iPhone 3GS for $97 with contract, so you don't really have to wait if you don't want.

8. Iphoneness macrumors 6502

Iphoneness

Yeah I just had a local AT&T guy say he thinks they're probably not even gonna come out with a new one. Last year a few weeks before launch I asked a question about the 3gs and they said there was no new iPhone coming out.

They obviously don't know what they're talking about....

9. amann76 macrumors 6502

amann76

i have a friend that works for ATT and i can confirm that the rep was not speaking out his tailpipe. They don't know anything ahead of the consumers only thing they have to go on are the same rumors that we have. Nobody knows for sure that there will be a new phone come Monday.

10. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

Hey OP.

Go back to the store, and ask him about the unlimited Data plans. :D

11. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

Couldn't have said it any better.

12. iPhone3GCrazed macrumors 6502

iPhone3GCrazed

I've found that most of the employees at the AT&T store seem like they are told to provide answers to any question at all costs; whether those answers are based on fact or fiction is completely up to the speaker. I've generally found them unknowledgeable and normally leave the store with conflicting information and in a general state of confusion. It may seem, however, as if they do know what they're talking about if you are uninformed or misinformed on the topic of discussion.

I try to avoid the AT&T stores at all costs... except to buy my iPhones of course. :D

13. KidStallyn thread starter macrumors 6502

KidStallyn

I should......I really wish I was there for the whole initial discussion........

14. slider5634 macrumors newbie

Make sure to invoke Sudo if she denies the command... :p

15. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

Its all no big deal.
    $99 for an iPhone 3GS now. She could care less about a 4G or whatever its called when it comes out.
    Save the $100.

The rep doesn't want you to wait. He wants you to buy now.

16. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

This gave me a chuckle. :)

Well, OP, now’s the time to get some respect when the new one comes out in June, huh? I wonder what she’ll say then.

17. Amacfa macrumors 65816

Amacfa

i lol'ed irl

18. iphone529 macrumors regular

okay lets think about this logically guys. ATT sales reps make money for pushing certain phones, The prob do not get any money for pushing apples phones because it pretty much sells itself, but if they sell for instance a Samsung or Nokia phone they might get a kickback or some sort of incentive. So they will tell you that the newest iphone will not be out for months so you buy one of the phones they can get an incentive on now.

19. elephunkman macrumors 65816

Makes sense because they know apple products will sell out or be close to it without any sort of huge marketing from the sales reps.

20. Maverick713 macrumors 6502

wait, I am confused. He wasn't talking out of his tailpipe but he gave inaccurate info, so wouldn't that be talking out of said tailpipe?

21. Fabienne macrumors 65816

Fabienne

tigres is right. You need to turn up at your house dressed in nothing but a leopard skin loin cloth, carrying a bottle of Veuve Clicquot (vintage of your choosing), 2lbs of raw filet mignon, 2 Idaho potatoes which are as big as small pumpkins, sting beans, 1 gallon of the best ice cream money can buy and wait. You have constructed the trap...next move is your wife's Don't worry, she will fall right in.

Good luck, buddy. With any art whatsoever, she will be eating out of your hand. Next time any AT&T poppinjay opens his mouth He. Will. Be. Sorry.

Trust me, I am never wrong in matters of charm.

Or, you could try arm wrestling her. Or send her here and WE will straighten her out.

22. sblocker macrumors newbie

thats pretty funny because i was in my local rogers wireless store a couple of weeks ago and one of the rep's i was talking to said he had already seen the new iphone.

23. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Wrong. The OP's opinion is worth more than the ATT reps. The ATT rep just wanted a quick commission, and since lowly retail employees aren't given any more information than normal consumers, the edge on information goes to people with a passion for Apple products that religiously monitor interviews and announcements, and analyst opinions (most macrumors members). I have seen this kind of situation more than once with reps who claim to know more about iPhones than I do.

It will be announced at WWDC. It was the gizmodo incident. It will not be significantly delayed.

24. CooKieMoNs7eR macrumors 68000

CooKieMoNs7eR

The AT&T sales rep doesnt want you to wait for the new one, he just wants you to buy a phone RIGHT NOW so he can make his paycheck bigger.

25. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

Everyone knows that ATT reps do not know what they are talking about. Every time I go and talk to one I end up informing them or showing them how to do something. It is a low paying job andf you get what you pay for.