ATT service Rep called my new iphone to harass me!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NovemberWhiskey, Jul 28, 2009.

1. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

I need your advice on what to do about this situation (scroll down for the crazy part; the beginning is a pretext to the situation):

About a month ago, I went in to my local ATT store to check out the iphone. The store rep and I were talking, and he said he could get me 15% off my monthly bill and waive the activation fee.

I went in this week to get my phone, and apparently he had some trouble pulling the strings to get what he promised me. Anyways, to make a long story short, he works for a while on the computer and asks me for my credit card and he swipes it and asks me to sign it. At this point, he hasn't shown me a contract or anything, so I have to ask him for a copy/receipt so I know what I am getting. He goes and gets the receipt and it does not show the 15% off, and it does not show the activation fee waiver. In fact, it shows the regular plan, the activation fee, 911 fee, some other surchages, and some outrageously high taxes that I calculated to be 12-19%. I kept insisting I get a receipt, but he said it would all show up in 1-2 billing cycles and that it should show up in a couple weeks. At the end of the transaction, he just ignored me by not shaking my hand (I didn't extend it, but I was looking to see if he would; he would not) and not saying anything. I just said thanks and left.

So I left the store, and enjoyed my iphone. I went back today to ask what the 911 fee and surcharges are; I pulled up right in front of the store, and could see him with another customer. I am pretty sure he could see me as I walked right in the front, and he was 2 feet away from me facing me. I looked at him to say "hi" but he ignored me, and another rep approached me to ask if he could help. So I talked to this rep, and he didn't know anything so he got the manager. The manager came and said some BS like "sorry we are just a sales store, you have to call ATT to see what those are." I asked him if I could get a print-out or a verification of my 15% off and the activation fee waiver, and he said that my sales rep should not have done that and that he would have to talk to him. I had no idea what was going on with this store, so i just said "thanks" and left.

A little while after I got home, guess who gives me a call??? The first sales rep that handled my transaction called me up and basically goes off yelling about how I got him in a lot of trouble because he was trying to do me a favor with the discounts. I told him I wouldn't be harassed, and if he kept yelling I would hang up on him. He wouldn't stop, so I hung up.

My problem is this guy obviously looked up my personal information (or remembered it) and he has crossed a line. This is extremely unprofessional. He seems not to care about his job, as he said he was quitting anyways, and so I am starting to worry that with the information he has he may do something like charge me for lots of things I didn't agree to, or give my number out, or even come to my house to harass my family.

What can I do in this situation? I don't want to make things worse, but how can I prevent him from hurting me and my family? I feel like if I just let it go, I will always be waiting to see what will happen; if I call to complain, he will get fired and he will take revenge.

All I did was ask for a receipt or a document specifying the terms we agreed to in-person, and ask some questions about my bill. The other reps were pretty dismissive and rude, and this first guy now has my number and has crossed the line by calling me on it to harass me.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Call AT&T's Customer Service, they will definitely take care of it. Someone is getting fired.

3. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

OMG that is scary, that's a violation of some privacy rights.

4. NovemberWhiskey thread starter macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

The problem is I feel that if I get him fired, he will use my personal information to hurt my family or myself.

I mean, he already has my phone number--and he has decided to cross the line by calling me up about all this.

What if he gets my address, CC info, etc.? The other sales rep even pulled up another member's personal info and showed me the screen to prove everyone gets charged for the 911 fee.

I thought that in itself was a violation of that person's privacy.

I love the iPhone, but my experience with ATT has been aweful--and it hasn't even been two days.

First it was just some rudeness, but now I have reps harassing me on my private phone number? Any lawyers on here know what I can do?

5. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Your best bet would be to leave it where it is now. You taking strides to get him fired is only going to agitate him and possibly push him over the edge. I'm not saying the dude's going to bust in and shoot up the house, but there are plenty of anonymous ways you can make somebody's life miserable (calls at all hours, slashing tires, etc...).

6. NovemberWhiskey thread starter macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

I don't want to get him fired, but I want to make sure my personal information is not used against me. Currently, he still has access to all of my info. Frankly, I would be satisfied if we both parted ways, and never spoke again. But I have no idea what he will do. He crossed a serious line already--there is no telling what else he will do.

Can I change my number and have my personal information locked from sales reps?

7. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I understand that. But as stupid as you may think this guy is, there's really no way to know.

He could have just been having a bad day and made a bad decision by calling you to vent his frustrations. He may have realized this after the call and moved on with his life.

Of course there's always the possibility that it's the extreme opposite of this situation. If this is a strong concern for you, perhaps another trip to that store and a conversation with him is in order.

8. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

He can see your address, but not your credit card or social security number. Those are both blocked out on their computer. Certain agents can see the last four digits depending on what they're doing to your account.

I would e-mail the CEO of AT&T with a professional letter of the above events. Keep to the facts, make sure they know you're upset but don't get overly emotional about the situation. I would also be careful about using words like harassment because they have legal definitions.

Regular customer service is likely not going to do much for you. However, the CEO or president's office will get you directed to the right person. The AT&T CSR crossed the line, and should be punished accordingly.

9. skball123 macrumors regular

In my opinion, I would call the police. So, from what I have read, he HAS violated privacy that is clearly stated when you are an AT&T rep. He has even gone to call you, which can be even charged with harassment in a court.

This calls for the men in uniform (no joke, all seriousness). They will handle it appropriately.

10. BigOrangeSU macrumors regular

I agree, I mean you do pay taxes right? This is a perfect opportunity to utilize the police force to file a restraining order. After you file the restraining order/during the process I would recommend that you send a letter to the CEO of ATT and get a resolution on their end. Yes as a person you have to feel bad about him possibly losing his job but at the end of the day you are entitled to certain rights and you deserve the benefits that were promised to you.

11. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Don't hit a bees nest with a stick. I would leave it as it is. If he persists, call the police, and email the CEO. But for now, I would walk away as agitating him more is probably a bad idea.

12. samcraig macrumors P6

The police won't and can't do anything other than file your complaint. He didn't threaten you in any way. Based on (and only on) what I understand from harrassment cases that I've read about (mostly women being stalked) is that it takes a LOT of contact and actual threats for the police to step in.

The best thing you can do is

a) leave it alone and as mad as you are, just let it go (not suggesting this, but always an option)

b) Go into the store and speak to the manager. Sure you can call, but it will be far more effective to go in. When you do speak to the manager - stay calm and rational. Emotions have no place here. It might be difficult not to get excited or heated - but it's really best to state the facts. That you didn't appreciate the phone call you got and you assume this is NOT policy or accepted behavior of AT&T employees. Tell him you would like to resolve this locally but if something isn't done that you will take it to corporate.

If you'd rather not do a) or b) you can just deal with corporate - but again - stay calm and focused. You're not angry at the person you're speaking and explaining the situation with. Too many times people call customer service reps and scream at them when that rep has absolutely nothing to do with the incident. Don't misplace your anger. Same rules apply as above - explain the situation and that as a customer, you felt VERY uncomfortable with this situation. If the rep can't really do much, you can ask for the report to be escalated to a manager there and that you'd be happy to either call back or ask them to please call you.

my .02

13. TheNewsPaperBoy macrumors regular

TheNewsPaperBoy

He definetly crossed the line and violated the at&t employee terms and conditions, he can be fired in two seconds. Secondly, you can protect your account by setting up a password, when he types in your phone number it will prompt him for the password and without knowing it he cant gain access to the main screen of your account with address rate plan etc. etc. Third, go to a different at&t store and ask these questions, 1. Does my account show my FAN discount number? 2. If not there ask them to please set you up. 3. Ask them to look in the account notes and see if he put in to waive the activation fee, if not call customer service. 4. If it would make you feel better they can change your phone number in like two seconds.

14. paulyras macrumors 6502

Calling the police may escalate things, but is probably the best move. If nothing else, definitely talk to someone at AT&T corporate. Even if they don't have your CC or SS number, they may be able to get your address. It's nothing to mess around with.

I would also take a screen capture of the call log with the number, date and time in it. Never hurts to have a record at your disposal...

15. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I would try to leave this alone because, unfortunately the police can't help here. He certainly crossed a line, but I don't think he's done anything illegal, just violated AT&T policy. So all you can do is get him fired, but then I think you really are risking retaliation, as this guy doesn't sound very stable.

16. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

Since you're worried about him doing something to you or your family I'd just leave it where it is.

I couldn't let that go though.

17. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I'd go the CEO Route. If you feel that that will lead to further problems you can threaten with a restraining order. The sales rep. only has your address, and while that can be annoying, AT&T needs to find out about this employees.

18. NovemberWhiskey thread starter macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

How do I protect my account with a password? Is this just through the online wireless website?

19. Blakjack1013 macrumors newbie

Sue

Go after AT&T for money. In the end, I bet you will feel great!!!

20. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

I was at an AT&T store about a month ago, and asked about iPhone on prepaid. He said that the Original iPhone was never offere on prepaid and can't because it *needs* a data plan. After bickering with him, he said to me he would stop by my house with a prepaid sim to show me I was wrong. Because I had to pay a bill, he knew where I lived. I know it can be done. He says "dude, I've been with AT&T for 8 years". But then again, tat store didn't sell iPhones. It was disturbing when he said he stop by my house and show me. But he hasn't showed up yet. :D

21. Mademan12321 macrumors 6502

Jesus Christ people

My goodness. How big was he 6'3. I would go up there and call him out and let him know that you won't stand for that and notify his manager. Also let them know that is it happens again you'll contact BBB, record the next transaction over the phone and report to media outlets, and contact the authorities..I can't believe how scary some of you are and most of you would just bow down like that. I'm not just going to wait around until something happens. If your really just that scared then contact the authorities and corporate office and inform them of the incident.

22. bbydon macrumors 6502a

If he called and harassed you i would go to att customer service and give them the phone he called you at. And Tell them you are afraid of your personal data being compromised. See where that gets you. Chances are he has an ATT phone so they can figure out if it was him or not.
    You might wait a week or two and see if he can forget your info.... hopefully and won't harass you further. Of course its really easy for me to say this from my desk and no crazy employee calling me up scary the $#!% out of me.
    Sorry man.

23. jlwillia macrumors regular

My honest opinion. Take with a grain of salt.

I think you're overreacting.

He definitely crossed a line; no doubt about it. However, he is probably just some guy who didn't have the authority to give those kinds of discounts in the first place, got caught in his sales pitch/lie, and now feels a little embarrassed by the whole situation. I'm not justifying what he did or his complete unprofessionalism, but I think fearing for your family might be a little extreme.

I think Mademan's idea of going back into the store and calling him out and notifying his manager of the situation is a decent plan. However, I'm not convinced anything needs to be done at all. Just chill out and enjoy your iPhone.

24. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Go down to the store, find him and confront him. See if he can talk any smack face to face and also talk to his manager. Show him that you aint affraid. Anyone can pick up a phone and talk out their a$$. Go there and straighten him out and tell him never to call you again with that kind of BS again.

25. army91c macrumors 6502a

Take off the skirt and put on some pants and man up.... the guy crossed a major line! GO to the store and talk to the manager, get the punk fired. IF other stuff happens call the police. Easy solution to a weird situation.