ATT strikes again...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by oftheheavens, Feb 21, 2011.

1. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

So i just got back from a 3 year tour in japan, and still have my original iphone from 4 years ago. I did not want to get an iphone 4 right now due to the release of a new iphone coming up june/july.

so i go into the att store and ask like 5 times "so i can activate a line on my already owned iphone, and I will not be on a contract and will be able to upgrade in a few months and THEN get a contract...right?"

I got "yes of course" all 5 times.

well i was poking around my att account online and went to upgrade line, just because, and saw that it said 2012.....really???

so i called att and they said that when i activated my original iphone via itunes that it automatically signed me up for a 2 year contract and that made my upgrade 1.5 years out...

so in summary i activate MY iphone 2g (or whatever it is called) and can't upgrade for 2 years....Oh yeah and was bound into a contract that i knew nothing about..

the att store here said that they will figure out a way to make it right, but we will see...:mad:

2. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

If you're within 30 days, I'd suggest cancelling your service, going to an ATT store in person, and having them set you up. Don't do it through iTunes.

3. oftheheavens thread starter macrumors 68000

im 34 days in. so I will have to see what the outcome is tomorrow.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It doesn't make sense but they do it all the time.
    And 2G iPhone activation thru iTunes that let's you pick your plan etc automatically signs you up to a 2 year agreement.
    Figures AT&T reps would know more than what we do here but some of them are clueless.

5. tsolt macrumors regular

tsolt

New release of an iPhone? Where dis you get this news I wanna know lol

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Thats terrible. Hopefully they make it right.
    Let us know.

7. labman macrumors 604

labman

be nice polite it will get you better results then getting mad but be insistent and calm. if the salesperson can't help ask for the manager. if that doesn't work try another store or call customer service. with AT&T you will have 10 people tell you that your sol then bam 11 one fixes it. hope you get results soon though.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Let me see.
    Maybe because they release a new one every summer for the past 4 years?

9. Macdude2010 macrumors 65816

Macdude2010

If they can let you upgrade can i have your old iPhone?
    I have been trying to find a original one

10. labman macrumors 604

labman

11. gigapocket1 macrumors 6502a

Dont worry about it.. Go back to the reps at the store and have them note your account.. And they will just have to do a manual upgrade.. Thats what i did a couple of years ago..

12. ozred macrumors 6502

Remember that it's the consumers responsibility to read & understand the terms of service.

It's highly fashionable amongst many here to play the angry victim and bash AT&T. However the facts are undeniable.

While I know that AT&T was once more forgiving, they're now faced with many people moving to Verizon. Thus there is little if any latitude allowed.

There is a huge difference between a verbal exchange and the contract all carriers use. They only vary slightly. You may very well find you are locked in.

If you wish to be released, there is a provision. Smartphone early termination begins at $350.00. They will take payments with interest if you cannot pay in full at time of cancellation.

Good luck.

13. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

And now there's Verizon. Time will tell I suppose.

14. Jetaray macrumors member

I took my 2G iPhone to an AT&T store and asked the same questions, received the same answers. They set the phone up at the store, when I tried to use it the first time a recording informed me that if I activated the phone I would be agreeing to a two year contract. At this point I stopped and walk back to the store and asked questions, the rep then proceeded to tell me that is just the way it works because of the system Apple uses to activate an iPhone. I then said if that is the way it must be I want to cancel my contract immediately, when faced with loosing a customer they suddenly decided to tell me there is a way to activate the iPhone and not be lock into a new contract. Personally I think the low life sales rep was hopping I ignored the contract warning so they get the commission for setting up a new two year agreement.

What they will do is back date your contract so your bill shows the phone is no longer under contract. Another catch is they will still require you to have one year of service before allowing you to receive the low upgrade price a new customer will receive with a two year contract. For example my statement says no longer under contract but I am not eligible for upgrade prices until September 2011, even if I sign a two year agreement. So if I want to upgrade my phone I will need to pay $300 for an iPhone 16GB phone vs. a new customer who will only pay $200 for a new iPhone and two year contract. When ever you activate an older iPhone one must read all the fine print and listen to any recordings before agreeing to activation.

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That doesnt make a difference.
    Apple releases a new one every year. I dont think they will sit back and wait while other companies are pumping out new models every 2-3 months.
    Its a sure bet that Apple will release a new iphone model every year, maybe even sooner.

16. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

Exactly, this dude knows what he is talking aboot

17. drummingcraig macrumors 6502a

drummingcraig

And its the business' responsibility to provide accurate & truthful information via its employees.

The facts being that AT&T employees gave the OP erroneous information and they are at fault here.

Apparently you haven't read this thread.

You *must* work for a cell phone company. :rolleyes:

18. drummingcraig macrumors 6502a

drummingcraig

Cannot emphasize this enough. Be polite and courteous with everyone you deal with, but most importantly don't give up! No matter what people tell you there is always a way around "the rules".

The AT&T employees got you into this mess and they will get you out of it. It may just take persistence.

19. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

You are correct -- it is. Consumers get all of the liability-- same as with the fine print in your house loan. It is perfectly OK for companies to lie to consumers. Caveat emptor. If they tell you the interest rate is 1% and it says so in big type on page 1, it is your fault if it says on page 135 that the interest rate jumps to prime+7% after 6 months. You should not have signed.

Correct again. Glad we are in agreement. The company always wins. Imagine-- silly people expecting a level playing field. If you lie, it is "fraud". If they lie, it is "the marketplace". Pretty simple, really. Not sure why people don't get it.

20. shokk macrumors newbie

When all else fails, email sjobs@apple.com about the poor customer service you got. After doing so, I received the red carpet treatment at that store along with a replacement iPhone.

21. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

Perhaps. I simply think this year *could* be different. It seems unlikely to me that Verizon would release a phone as "newest" in February when Apple was planning to release a newer phone on AT&T a few short months later. Perhaps I'm wrong. But time will tell. cheers

22. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've been asking the same thing, and I've been hearing the same thing but I'm worried that I'll be in your situation.

23. dave420 macrumors 65816

Same thing happened to me. Added a line without contract, but the line wasn't eligible for an upgrade for two years. 18 months into the two years I tried to get a phone with a discount and was refused an upgrade. I ended up canceling the line and adding it again to get the upgrade.
    When I called customer service a few days later to restore the caller id name I was told that the guy in the store was wrong and should have given me an upgrade.

24. elan123 macrumors 6502

^^^^^^^ this

25. j.dstasio macrumors 6502

j.dstasio

The same thing happened to me when I added my most recent line. Added to line with an iPhoone I owned already and when it was time to upgrade, I wasn't showing eligible online.

All it took was a quick phone call to AT&T explaining that that I did not get a subsidy when I activated the new line & I had used my own phone. They manually fixed my upgrade & I had no problems picking up a new iPhone in store the next day.