ATT Unlimited Plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Los Angeles, Sep 9, 2014.

1. Los Angeles macrumors member

So I am on the ATT Unlimited plan. My question is if I upgrade will I stay on the unlimited plan or will ATT move me to another plan.

Sorry if this is a dumb question.

2. PoppaKap macrumors regular

Some conflicting info out there. I tend to think that we will be able to continue with grandfathered unlimited data.

3. Los Angeles thread starter macrumors member

thanks i should call ATT

4. HerrFaust macrumors newbie

5. Los Angeles thread starter macrumors member

Do I have to do anything special or just order the phone.

6. slookx24 macrumors member

You will need to sacrifice a goat.

7. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

And avoid the gauntlet of sales puppets telling you that you are foolish for not dumping the plan...

8. its Dale macrumors 6502

You will be able to keep Unlimited. Just verify that there are no changes on the plan

Don't let them sucker you into changing or adding things to your plan.

Simply let them know you want to upgrade your device and keep the SAME plan.

I used an upgrade on the iphone 5, HTC One M8 and again on the iphone 6 and was able to keep unlimited data. When you do it online, it shows the data plan you want to keep.

9. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

You will be able to keep it. But if you ever change your plan, you won't be able to go back to the unlimited.

----------

No. When you order the phone, you will be able to see the terms of the plan that you are renewing. It will say "Unlimited Data $30"

10. Imran27 macrumors newbie

Lol!

11. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I updated two different accounts, both kept the unlimited data plan. If you are ordering through Apple you will be able to see your plan details before you checkout. Just verify that everything is there before completing your order.

12. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

What everyone else said. I too have an unlimited plan and have been able to upgrade while still keeping it. Just make sure you confirm everything prior to finalizing.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, I kept the unlimited data in all 3 of my iphone lines on AT&T when I updated to the iphone 6.

14. Cowboy1629 macrumors regular

Cowboy1629

I upgrade my phone every year (cross upgrade). This was the first time I ever lost my unlimited plan. I called AT&T when I noticed online that they changed my data plan from unlimited to 3 GB. They switched me back after I complainrd but it took about 2 weeks for them to do it.

15. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

They are trying hard to boot everyone off those plans, even switching on you and hoping you won't notice before you pay your next bill and they run the statute of limitations out on switching back.

16. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

The real question you should be asking yourself is if you still even need the unlimited plan. Are you getting throttled at 5GB? Would it be cheaper to move to one of the mobile share data plans? The AT&T site has a tool where you can compare the pricing of your current plan vs the mobile share plan.

Just sayin.

17. ag29 macrumors 6502

Yes, you can upgrade and keep your ATT unlimited plan w/o any workarounds, just make sure you review that your data isn't going to change on the confirmation page.

With verizon, you can't upgrade and keep unlimited unless you use some kind of loophole or workaround, but verizon doesn't throttle you so you can use as much data to your heart's content.

ATT throttles you after 5 GB on unlimited so if you can get more than 5GB data for a cheaper price than your current plan, do it, because otherwise you're getting ripped off.

18. tigress666 macrumors 68040

They will certainly try.

The guy who signed me up tried to tell me they did the Verizon thing where you have to pay full price if you want to keep your unlimited. I didn't think that sounded right cause i was sure the internet would be in an uproar if that were true and I would have heard of it. Looked it up and right on AT&T's own forum some one was asking that and a rep for the board was saying that yes, you can keep your unlimited and get a subsidized phone.

Guy tried to show me that his system wouldn't let him do that, low and behold, it did. Then he tried to chalk it up to us having a fan account. Whatever (at that point I wasn't going to argue it cause I was keeping my unlimited so that's what I cared).

If they try to tell you you cannot, point them to this page: https://forums.att.com/t5/Data-Mess...fathering-my-unlimited-data-plan/td-p/4066078
    (I found it by googling "at&T unlimited upgrade grandfathered upgrade"). You can point out the date on that thread is September 2014 and that it is AT&T's own forums that is saying that...

19. bhudda, Oct 14, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2014

bhudda macrumors newbie

paranoid

Hey Guys- I too am paranoid about losing my grandfathered plan. No matter which way you swing it, the ppl at ATT act like I'm the idiot for not switching. I was told back in 2009, that I would never use more than 5 GB of data a month. Fast-forward 3 iphones, and I currently avg 7GB a month. I never got rid of my unlimited plan, and I intend to keep it... CEO of ATT even regrets ever having the unlimited data plan. So for those who are scared of losing it... login into apple store and buy it online, ... using your ATT credentials. I decided to renew for 2 years (not a fan of NEXT, cause you can sell your ph when your done with it), and my plan carried over.

Attached below is a snapshot of my cart, which clearly has the unlimited data. I have 4 phones on my shared plan for talk, and I rarely talk on the phone anymore. Hope this helps cure some of the anxiety.
    Cheers!

Attached Files:

20. mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

You certainly can keep unlimited if you upgrade. I was able to for the Plus I got from Apple. My sister bought an iPhone 6 from AT&T and somehow they neglected to give her ANY data or texting plan on her new phone. We had to call and get that sorted out and since it was unlimited they had to open a case to get it back. But they did.

The single best reason to keep unlimited is that AT&T is trying so hard to get you off of it. Even if another plan works out to be cheaper right now, I have my doubts that it will stay that way.

21. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I'm not moving off of mine (even though I have a 10GB MobileShare for all my other devices and phones), because nothing else gets your unlimited roaming LTE including roaming on cruise ships. T-Mobile supposedly gives roaming, but speeds are mixed and you definitely can't use it on a cruise.