Carrier ATT Unlimited - Price increase starting Feb '16.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PhillyGuy72, Dec 15, 2015.

1. PhillyGuy72 macrumors 6502a

PhillyGuy72

I still run on an Unlimited, grandfathered plan on my 6 Plus.
    Yeah, I guess I should have seen this coming. This email just came in. :mad:

[​IMG]

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

3. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

I got it too today. I will call and ask them to enable thetering to the unlimited plan. Not planning to change to any of their tiers. Please do the same, just ask them to see how it goes.

4. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

I wonder if they would let me do month to month when the increase happens, their email only stated switching carriers.

5. eagleglen macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

Has anyone gotten tethering added to their unlimited data plan? I just spoke to an AT&T rep via chat and was told this is still not an option, even after the price increase. I'm very disappointed.

6. baypharm, Dec 15, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2015

baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

I find it fascinating how they will go out of their way to get you OFF the unlimited data plan. And how they present their other plans as having unlimited talk/text - thats very massaginistic of them. AT&T is looking out for themselves- not their customers. For what its worth, Verizon increased my unlimited data plan by $20 but at least they let me tether unlimited data with no slow downs.

7. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

What exactly is "massaginistic"?

C

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

9. knownikko macrumors 6502

If they wanted you off, they'd just discontinue it. Done and done.

10. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Any known hashtag to request AT&T the hotspot with the price increase?

11. knownikko macrumors 6502

#FirstWorldWhining

12. appygirl82 macrumors 6502a

appygirl82

Anyone have good luck with any of the other carriers? I've been a long time att customer but.....I pay $170/mo for my 2 lines (unlimited). Changing to the mobile share won't save me more but $5-10, not worth it!

Trying to decide what to do! $10 more for the price increase isn't end of the world. But some of the other carriers can save me a bit of money! I do live in a somewhat rural town so not sure about coverage with the others?!

13. Older bird macrumors regular

Older bird

How or why is your plan so expensive? I pay 174.00 for 3 iPhones, 1 iPad, a next payment, and 20 gb of data with rollover. I also get unlimited text and talk. Is unlimited data really THAT necessary? I had it and don't miss it at all. Just wondering

14. aneftp macrumors 68040

People with att unlimited data on att most likely won't leave over a $5/line increase. Especially now that they have relaxed the throttling process 22-23gb limit and only if in congested towers.

We still get subsidized phones (unlike Verizon unlimited data users .......yeah yeah I know and have done the various verizon unlimited data upgrade loopholes since I also have Verizon). But we don't have to resort to using loopholes.

Sprint and T-Mobile slow data down around the 23gb mark as well in congested towers.

15. ray737 macrumors regular

I just got the email about the increase. I hope we will still get subsidized phones in the future. I was a bit tempted to try t mobile but from what I have read their network is still lacking.

16. Mad4clay, Dec 15, 2015

Mad4clay macrumors regular

Just got this too! I will not be giving up my unlimited. They always try to say they can get us a better deal on a different plan, I always say no thank you as I no that involves removing the unlimited plans we have.

17. whodatrr macrumors 6502a

whodatrr

Hot spot was a big problem for me, as well as being treated like a pariah, because I still had a grandfathered unlimited plan. Seriously, every call I made into them would result in them trying to do a hard sell on me ditching my unlimited plan. 20+ years with them, and they treated me like garbage.

SO, I went T-Mobile. I now have my hotspot, as well as a bunch of other features. And I'm saving $40-50 a month.

Turns out some providers still like unlimited customers, just not AT&T.

18. McGiord, Dec 15, 2015

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Wasted half hour of my life on the phone with AT&T customer disservice, they just want me to switch to a tiered data plan or leave them. I wanted to make a formal request to have the tethering mobile hotspot enabled, they were baffled with my request and just repeated like a voice recorder that it 'was impossible' and that there 'is nothing else they can do'. Not even a single case number assigned to my request nor wanted to have any type of negotiation with the customer, just repeat their script. I am seriously thinking on moving to T-Mobile. I guess that if enough customers make the request, they may include something on top of this 17% price increase, like having the mobile hotspot enabled with some data cap like T-Mobile does is reasonable. I will write them an email. Have you used their Twitter account @Attcares ?

19. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

Maybe AT&T would let you tether if you paid $20'extra per month, ask who knows.

20. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

This is a non-issue for most UDP customers. $60 a year is still better than the $240 a year Verizon charges. My bill is $63 a month, paying $68 a month is still cheaper than their 5GB mobile share plan.

21. geoff5093 macrumors 68000

geoff5093

Way better than T-Mobile, who raised it from $60 > $70 > $80 > $95 in 3 years.

22. erayser macrumors 65816

erayser

$35 for unlimited data is still cheaper than my 5gb data plan with Verizon. I average 40+gigs of data every cycle... so $35 for unlimited is still a deal.

Not tethering is not a deal breaker for me. I've carried a Verizon mifi for my hotspot since 3G, and still own a Verizon 4G/LTE mifi that I can activate for short periods. Used it a lot when I carried a laptop. When I started using my iPad, I don't use laptops anymore, but the mifi was still useful. Since the 6+ came out, I don't carry my iPad anymore... and since AT&T changed their throttling policy... I rarely use my mifi device. If I really need tethering... I would just add it to my Jailbroken iPhone. I'm rarely on stock iOS. However... I prefer the mifi over tethering my iPhone. I would rather drain my mifi battery for data than my iPhone.

23. geoff5093 macrumors 68000

geoff5093

Where does your $240 for a Verizon unlimited data plan come from? I pay $64/mo before tax for my Verizon unlimited plan.

24. C DM macrumors Westmere

25. rosemary1 macrumors regular

I just resigned my two-year contract with the unlimited data plan. Are they allowed to change the price I pay when I'm under contract, or will this change happen for me at the end of the contract?