ATT v. Verizon

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Hoyasaxa, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Hoyasaxa macrumors member

I haven't really been able to find a comprehensive discussion on this anywhere I've looked, so I apologize in advance if there's somewhere to look that I haven't found.

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts were on ATT vs. Verizon. I'm well accquainted with both networks and capabilities, etc., but I'm more interested in people's real world experiences with either network on their shiny new ipad 2s. I'm on Verizon now for cell service so trying to decide which way to go for the iPad if I go the 3g route.

TIA.

2. ea9 macrumors regular

Consider this,
    If you leave the country , you can't use 3g service (unless you're fine with roaming... :eek:) anywhere. That alone would throw me off.

I think what you really need to find out is how both networks compare in your neck of the woods. Because this is definitely a YMMV thread.

3. Hoyasaxa thread starter macrumors member

FWIW, I'm basically in DC and NY most of the time, but I'm aware that even though those are strong areas, there are flaws on either network.

4. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

To generalize it:

AT&T - Speed, and if you're always in a well covered 3G area, then this will probably be the better option
    Verizon - Reliability, you're more likely to have full service with verizon, but they're a slower network

Another benefit to the GSM iPad is if you travel to different countries - all you need to do is buy another SIM card and you can use your iPad with 3G anywhere. Can't do that with the CDMA iPad.

I have an AT&T iPad, verizon and at&t are very close in reliability where I live so I chose the faster network. However, at my girlfriend's house in PA, I won't have any 3G service where as her verizon blackberry has very good service (but there is WiFi in her house to make up for that).

Another note: While I'm at school, during the school hours AT&T's 3G service does not function (EDGE works fine, but EDGE is slow)- I'll have full service but cannot sustain any connection over 3G until the holiday breaks or late at night when the local towers aren't saturated, all my friends with verizon devices don't have to rely on the school's wifi - they can always connect, but at verizon 3G speeds.

5. Bartman01 macrumors regular

You can always purchase a local plan out of country with the ATT version. With the Verizon version you are generally SOL - most countries use the same network as ATT.

6. Hoyasaxa thread starter macrumors member

Excellent, thanks. More like this, I think this is what a lot of folks like myself, who know the ins and outs already, are looking for.

7. zinka macrumors regular

Something to think about: my iPhone is on AT&T, so I bought my iPad on Verizon. That way it's likely that if I go somewhere with crap AT&T coverage, it's possible the iPad will have coverage. The same argument would imply that you (who use Verizon for your phone) should get an AT&T iPad.

8. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

It seems there's not defined answer for this topic.

It all depends on several factors.

9. deeddawg macrumors 604

Which is EXACTLY why there's no real comprehensive discussion, because even within a particular region there will sometimes be significant differences in service quality.

10. Hoyasaxa thread starter macrumors member

UNACCEPTABLE :p

11. spgiva macrumors regular

spgiva

Also of note is pricing (all are per month):
    Verizon
    1GB - $20; 3GB - $35
    5GB - $50; 10GB - $80

ATT
    250 MB - 14.99
    2GB - $25 ($10 per GB over 2)

So if you plan on heavy data traffic over 3G Verizon is probably a better option, however if you expect to mostly use Wifi, but occasionally want to be able to use a 3G service on rare occasions, then AT&T is going to give you cheaper options.

-spg

12. Bheleu macrumors 6502

ATT
    Unlimited - $30 ($300-$400 on e-bay), I use 8GB/mo

T-mobile unlimited - $30/mo, cut sim card down, bandwidth limited after 5gb, should work on ATT iPad 2, not on iPad 1 due to different frequency usage, do not know if anyone has tried it yet but also ATT just bought Tmobile so do not expect their UL data plan to be available forever.

13. jdcell100 macrumors regular

Att

I had AT&T since first iPad came out I got the unlimited plan I have never been anywher where I could not get service. I live in northeastern Pa

14. likegadgets macrumors 6502

I travel. I have been able to use the AT&T 3G model in Mexico and in the Philippines by acquiring a local SIM card. Cannot do that with the Verizon model

15. JerseyBill macrumors member

Is there a door on the ATT iPad to open it to swap SIM cards or do you have to disassemble the unit?

16. HDJulie macrumors demi-goddess

There's a slot. It's just like on an AT&T phone. Very easy to swap sim cards.

17. wrxdrunkie macrumors member

This is exactly what made me return my AT&T iPad for a Verizon one. I figured that I will be kicking myself when I go to use my iPad and it doesn't work along with my cellphone, this way I have maximum network coverage everywhere I go with my iPad :)

18. darngooddesign macrumors G3

This was my reasoning; being a motorcyclist the Verizon version is the best option. Also, if I travel overseas I'll pop a local SIM in my unlocked iPhone and tether to that.

19. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

Could anybody else confirm this fact?
    If it's true, then get Unlimited Plan from T-Mobile, and after AT&T completes the takeover, your Plan will continue to be honored by AT&T, as long as you don't stop it.

20. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

I thought about it, but I have an Unlimited Plan already, so it's hard to let go.

21. X2468 macrumors regular

I'm on AT&T and my brothers on Verizon. We have had our accounts for about five years, and they are so similar only the bills are different. He pays just a bit more than I do which is also typical of our other friends experience. Either one is good. The major advantage of AT&T is that l can switch sims for my local number at the office in London where I spend a few months each year.

22. zinka macrumors regular

The iPad does not support T-Mobile's 3G frequencies. You would only get EDGE data rates (very slow). Not worth it.

23. Bartman01 macrumors regular

Also need to add in to the equation that with AT&T you can activate/deactivate as needed for no additional cost. For right now at least Verizon will charge to reactivate after a few months of no service.

For me another big factor is that my work phone is on Verizon so I am getting AT&T so that I will have some coverage wherever I go.

24. imutter macrumors 6502

imutter

I like AT&T costumer service I have been with them they were Cingular and before that Bell South (Way back then the big grey box phone). I hear of so many having issues with Virizon and their policies specially when they try to upgrade or renew the contract. I did live in MI and service coverage was better with Verizon specially driving in those remote areas but still I kept AT&T. I have never waited for ever when I called CS nor did I have rude people ever. It's worth it to me and they look and find the best plan for you always have.

25. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Currently, but once the merger completes, T-Mobile customers will get 3G coverage on AT&T's 850/1900 MHz bands. So the unlimited plans will carry.