Att Wi-fi price at Starbucks' ?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by tuna9720, Mar 29, 2010.

1. tuna9720 macrumors regular

any updates on pricing? such as free wi-fi just like the iPhones?

or there is no way Att will make it free for iPad users?

2. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

My hunch is that it will only be free for iPad 3G owners who have an active data pre-paid iPad subscription.

3. Mactagonist macrumors 65816

Put $5 on a starbucks card, register an account at starbucks.com with it and you get 2 hours a day free forever right?

That was my plan once I have the iPad in hand.

4. harry*333 macrumors 6502a

harry*333

5. mac jones macrumors 68040

I bought the Starbucks card which I believe gives you 2 free hours a day.

I'm not going to use more than that. ever.

You buy the card there, and then go online and register it. It should work after a few minutes.

I initially put $10 on it.

6. jedolley macrumors 68000

You also get access to AT&T Hotspots if you subscribe to AT&Ts DSL (at least my plan does). Also, keep in mind that the 3G subscription and the DSL subscription give you access to ALL AT&T hotspots, not just the ones in Starbucks.

7. mac jones macrumors 68040

Yes this is what i understand, but I haven't use it much yet.

Also, I'm not sure what would happen if you used up the money on the card as far as wi-fi goes, but I would imagine the wi-fi will still work as it doesn't seem connected to the balance for drinks.

8. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

"And with AT&T data plans, you’ll have access to over 20,000 Wi-Fi hotspots, including Starbucks, Barnes and Noble, and more."

Not sure if I'm reading this correctly but it looks like you have to buy an AT&T data plan first.

9. jedolley macrumors 68000

Yeah, one of the iPad specific data plans. Just having the 3G model alone doesn't give you access.

10. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

I'm one of those who will have to wait for the 3G units to ship.

However on this subject I would say that many libraries have WiFi in them for free, the one here in Champaign, IL also has a little food bar that I'm told serves a good little cappuccino (I don't know as I don't drink the stuff, but they do carry a mean caffeine free Diet Pepsi). They also have a comfortable lounge to use your iPad.

There is also free WiFi at Barnes and Noble, and Borders bookstores. There are just loads of places to work comfortable with your WiFi iPads that you don't have to pay a penny for. Most are also gun free! :)

11. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

+1 for the Starbucks card.
    2 hrs per day, free. Get two cards for 4 hrs....

12. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

You have to have activity on the account during the month. But you can fake that with buying and replenishing your card once or twice.

13. robby818 macrumors 6502a

There is one "restriction" with the Starbucks card, you can only share your log in with up to two MAC addresses. If you try and log in with the Starbucks account on a third machine your account will be locked and you need to call customer support. I think it their attempt to limit people sharing their account log ins. The restriction does not apply to ATT DSL account log ins.

14. puppyflightclub macrumors 6502

you and I both.

(im in california)

15. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

I remember someone saying that Starbucks verifies iPhones by simply looking for the useragent in the web browser. They also said that this can be faked by using the developer mode in Safari and changing the user agent to an iPhone and then they are able to get free access from a Mac. I have yet to test it, but if thats true, then how will they be able to know if you have a 3g iPad or not? Will they use different useragents? How will they know if your 3g account is active?

16. Surely Guest

Surely

Keep in mind that with the Starbucks cards, you must use them to buy something every 30 days, or reload them every 30 days, otherwise your wifi access expires.

17. myoldwatermill macrumors member

I am actually going to try this out today. I'll post my findings while I am there.

18. tttexxan macrumors 6502a

hmmmmmm when in doubt I will just tether to my iphone

19. Mactagonist macrumors 65816

catch found! :(

I dont eat or drink their crap so that will be a no go for me. They just serve as a convenient restroom and meeting spot here. I guess $5 for 30 days isnt bad though.

20. Hmac macrumors 68020

Around here, we just go to Caribou instead of Starbucks...wifi is free.

21. random person macrumors 6502a

22. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

I went to their web site. Most (about 80%) of Boingo's hot spots near me are either McDonalds or Starbucks and I already have access to both of those :eek: So, I see no sense in paying Boingo for access.

23. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

That's for the free AT&T-provided wifi for iPhone/AT&T subscribers. AT&T sends a text message, which includes the login code, to the iPhone you're attempting to connect.

For non-iPhone customers, you have to go through the standard AT&T login portal. This will accept your U-Verse/AT&T DSL login, a paid subscription or free Starbucks card holder login (2 hrs per day limit).

24. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

For the price of a cup of coffee or tea, you get yourself 60 hrs of free wifi for the month. Not too bad, really.

And actually, while a bit overpriced, their stuff isn't too bad. Even their pastries are made without trans-fats and other preservatives.

25. Surely Guest

Surely

^^^^Exactly.

It's not really a "catch". It's like maintaining a membership.

So you're a loiterer......

Have you actually tried their drinks/food, or do you just dislike Starbucks because you think it's trendy to do so? Making a sweeping generalization that everything that they serve is crap isn't a fair statement.