Attachments on MacRumors

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Eraserhead, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

When posting a thread with an image it is very difficult to get the menu that actually allows you to place attachments in the post to actually appear. Would it be possible to make the whole attachment button load that menu by default when there was at least 1 file attached to the post as you can still use the manage attachments button to add additional attachments.

2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I assume you are talking about the bug where this drop-down won't open after you first upload a file.
    Manage-Attachments.gif
    It's a bug in vBulletin, and we hope they will fix it. It's definitely annoying.

The workaround is to click the Manage Attachments button under "Additional Options" to open the Manage Attachments window an extra time. Once you close that window, the drop-down works again.

For those who don't know, before you attach any files, you can bring up the attachments window by clicking the paperclip & triangle or by clicking the Manage Attachments button under "Additional Options."

Once you have uploaded a file, and gotten past the bug by reopening and closing the Manage Attachments window, you can click the paperclip or triangle to open the drop-down. In the drop-down you can click the heading to go to the separate window or click a filename to put the image inline in your post. We ask that you do not put large images in-line, as a courtesy to other users.

For more information, see Inline Attachments in the Mac Guides.

3. Eraserhead thread starter macrumors G4

Eraserhead

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

The bug has gotten even more annoying for me under Safari. When I open the Attachments window, upload the files, and close the window, the paperclip button then becomes completely non-functional for me. I have to preview my post in order to make it active again so that I can make the attachments appear in line.

5. Eraserhead thread starter macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I right click on the link and then choose copy and then past it into the document, deleting everything but the attachment id, which is currently 1xxxxx.

Then I stick it between the [attach] tags manually.

Of course it would be much quicker to click on a button to do this, and sometimes I just can't be bothered ;).

6. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Mebbe that's the problem. :p

Dunno, using Camino, I think I only experience the "usual" annoyance-- having to click the attachments/ paperclip twice. Shrug. Not a huge ordeal and like the good Q says, it's vB related and follows me around to other vB forums, too.

7. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

I'm not sure if this is a software bug or just a side effect of hosting our attachments on a separate server.

arn

8. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

9. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

ah. maybe not then.

arn