"Attempting data recovery" Anyone getting this when updating iOS on iTunes?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by edlex, Sep 28, 2016.

1. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

Got no response posting this on the iOS forum but since it's iPhone 7 related I thought I'd try here too.

I got this message when I first got my 7+ at launch updating to 10.0.1 and just now updating to 10.0.2. Kinda scary. I've never seen this before. Anyone been getting this? Is it a problem?

2. jetsam macrumors 6502

Yes, I had this happen when updating my 7 Plus from 10.0 to 10.0.1, and again when updating from 10.0.1 to 10.0.2.

I got "press home key to attempt data recovery" - so I pressed the home key. After about five minutes of "data recovery", my iPhone booted normally.

This happened to me when doing a full firmware upgrade via iTunes on a Windows PC.

I'm actually relieved (I think) to know it's happened to someone else.

3. edlex thread starter macrumors 68000

edlex

Definitely scary when I first got my 7+ at launch but when it did it again today updating to 10.0.2 I was surprised. Never had this happen with any iPhone. I guess I'll have to get used it happening with every update. Just wondering why?

4. edlex thread starter macrumors 68000

edlex

So no one knows what this is and why it's happening? Can't believe just 2 people are having this happen.

5. SisterBlue22 macrumors 6502

SisterBlue22

Happened to me as well when going to 10.0.1, and everything ended up fine.

6. edlex thread starter macrumors 68000

edlex

Did it happen again when you updated to 10.0.2 as well? Everything is running fine on mine too thankfully. I'm just wondering what's causing this. Kind of unsettling to have it going through this extra step both times I updated my 7+.

7. SisterBlue22 macrumors 6502

SisterBlue22

I haven't updated to 10.0.2 yet, as I'm planning to return this phone tomorrow for the matte black one I have coming.

8. edlex thread starter macrumors 68000

edlex

Oh ok, just wondering. Good luck with the new phone!

9. teeshot44 macrumors member

teeshot44

Happen to me. Was setting up my new 7+ from a backup on iTunes. In the middle of restore, message popped up in iTunes that there was a newer version of software. 10.0.1. Weird because that was the version on my new 7+ (I had checked). After it downloaded, I declined to install because the phone was still being restored from backup. When the phone rebooted, I got the "Attempting data recovery". After 5 min or so, it rebooted and all was well. iTunes then said it had the latest version of software. (10.0.2 was not released yet). I'm guessing that it might of had something to do with the fact that the backup was from the final released beta of 10.0.1. Don't know, but all has been running well. Have since installed 10.0.2 and all still well.

10. numpsy macrumors regular

This happened with 10.0.3 update now as well. I'm now curious if we see this every time now with updating via iTunes.

11. jetsam macrumors 6502

Just happened again to me, too, updating from 10.0.2 to 10.0.3.

12. edlex thread starter macrumors 68000

edlex

I'll update on iTunes tomorrow and report back if it happens to me again as well. I had it happen on .1 and .2 so I have a feeling it's going to be a regular thing from now on. Scary every time I see that though.

13. edlex thread starter macrumors 68000

edlex

Ok so I just updated to 10.0.3 and once again it went through the "Attempting data recovery" at the end. I guess that's just the new normal I'm just surprised there doesn't seem to be a solution for this. First iPhone that's ever done this to me.

14. jetsam macrumors 6502

Lost my nerve this time. I decided to do an OTA upgrade to 10.1.
    Went smooth as silk!

15. Arjunsagar macrumors newbie

Arjunsagar

it happened to me as well, first time i was so scary. it's still running "attempting data recovery" finally it's updated

16. edlex thread starter macrumors 68000

edlex

I'll be updating tomorrow and I'll report back with my results. I'm glad your OTA went better than iTunes updates.

17. StaceyMJ86 macrumors 6502a

StaceyMJ86

It just happened to me after updating to 10.1 on my 7+ via iTunes.

18. edlex thread starter macrumors 68000

edlex

Yes happened to me too when I updated to 10.1 today. So far its happened on my 7+ with every single iTunes update since launch day. I haven't noticed any issues with any of the updates so, other than having to go through the extra long unnecessary step, it hasn't affected the phones performance. First iPhone that I've had that does this but I'm getting used to it now. I wish I knew why it was happening though.

19. StaceyMJ86 macrumors 6502a

StaceyMJ86

Same thing for me. I've been googling and waiting to hear back from Apple on why this extra step when updating now.

20. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Count me as well, from what I read, when you update with iTunes it does that; when you do the OTA it doesn't.

Not sure why Apple decided to go that route, I had to search the Apple forums real quick cause I thought my iPhone was in brick mode while doing the update.

21. edlex thread starter macrumors 68000

edlex

Ok so then this is the new normal then? I really appreciate you clearing this up because I thought something was corrupted on my phone. So Apple deliberately added this step for all their iTunes iOS updates?

22. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

It does appear like that, since other users are reporting it on the Apple support forums, and so as BGR etc.

I've tried it on my other friends' iPhones as well, and it did the same thing - if it's an iTunes update.

23. edlex thread starter macrumors 68000

edlex

Well I'm relieved to hear that it's not my phone that's causing the problem. I wish Apple had kept us in the loop regarding this change to the iTunes update process. Seeing "Attempting data recovery" after the computer says it couldn't connect to your phone doesn't exactly inspire confidence at the end of an update. Hopefully Apple will develop a more elegant solution to this new step.

24. Conan86 macrumors 6502

Happened to my 7 Plus but not the 6s and SE when updating to 10.1 with iTunes. The "Attempting Data Recovery" did not affect the update anyways, just gave quite a scare.