Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Same here on my 7+ going to 10.1. Would have been nice if we had some notice of this. Everything works fine though.

nickelro

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2013
I had the same behavior yesterday when updating from 10.0.3 to 10.1 via iTunes (and also had it last week when I went from 10.0.2 to 10.0.3).

nickelro

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2013
The update crashed my 7+ when I first got it at introduction, but have updated twice after that and no problems doing an over the air update.
Although I've learned this is a non-issue on either 7 or 7+ when updating iOS 10.x over the air, I still prefer 'update via iTunes' method... hopefully Apple will come up with a fix for this sometime down the line.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Although I've learned this is a non-issue on either 7 or 7+ when updating iOS 10.x over the air, I still prefer 'update via iTunes' method... hopefully Apple will come up with a fix for this sometime down the line.

I do major updates via iTunes but the small one I have always done over the air with zero problems until i got my new 7+ and did it's update and crashed my phone. No problems after that.

jetsam

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2015
Just updated from 10.1 to 10.1.1 via iTunes. I DID NOT have to go through the "Attempting Data Recovery" step. YAY!

I'm guessing this was an iTunes bug, since iTunes was updated a few days.

edlex

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
Miami
Just updated from 10.1 to 10.1.1 via iTunes. I DID NOT have to go through the "Attempting Data Recovery" step. YAY!

I'm guessing this was an iTunes bug, since iTunes was updated a few days.

Yes you are totally right! It must have been an iTunes issue because after updating it didn't do the extra step. I'm very relieved that whole deal is over! :D

Janesacie

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2017
Just as you said, this issue only occurs if you are updating your iPhone using iTunes. If you upgrade via Over The Air, this problem will not come. The only thing you should do is to leave your iPhone idle until it completes the upgrading process, which will take more time. Besides, for future reference, it would be better to backup all your data before upgrading. Hope this can help you fix iPhone attempting data recovery issue.

seanreynoldscs

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2017
Just as you said, this issue only occurs if you are updating your iPhone using iTunes. If you upgrade via Over The Air, this problem will not come. The only thing you should do is to leave your iPhone idle until it completes the upgrading process, which will take more time. Besides, for future reference, it would be better to backup all your data before upgrading. Hope this can help you fix iPhone attempting data recovery issue.

This just happened to me OTA on my way to ios 11.2
Not sure why? This has never happened to me before. I have an iPhone 7. Little unsettling. I don't think I backed up some photos. Hopefully they come back when it is done.

Adreitz

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2013
This just happened to me OTA on my way to ios 11.2
Not sure why? This has never happened to me before. I have an iPhone 7. Little unsettling. I don't think I backed up some photos. Hopefully they come back when it is done.

I just had the same problem this morning, in pretty much your exact same situation -- iOS 11.2 update OTA on iPhone 7, never had an issue before. I downloaded the update last night and let it unpack while I went to bed. Then I did the update this morning with the phone off the charger. I also hadn't backed up in several weeks, so I was afraid that I would lose data, but the phone came back up seemingly fully intact after the "recovery" period. Strange.

originaliode

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2017
Just got this today - upgrading to 11.2 on an iPhone 6s plus. After the upgrade completed, the phone rebooted and asked me for my passcode. After entering my passcode, It froze on the last passcode digit for about a minute and then the phone then asked me to enter my security code twice - then it rebooted and showed the data recovery screen. I've been through dozens if not hundreds of iOS upgrades on phone since the original iPhone and never saw this before - pretty scary! Not sure how long data recovery will take - but I guess I just have to wait and see - I'll reply as soon as it is finished.

originaliode

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2017
Just got this today - upgrading to 11.2 on an iPhone 6s plus. After the upgrade completed, the phone rebooted and asked me for my passcode. After entering my passcode, It froze on the last passcode digit for about a minute and then the phone then asked me to enter my security code twice - then it rebooted and showed the data recovery screen. I've been through dozens if not hundreds of iOS upgrades on phone since the original iPhone and never saw this before - pretty scary! Not sure how long data recovery will take - but I guess I just have to wait and see - I'll reply as soon as it is finished.
Data recovery finished - everything seems to be working properly. It took about 2 hours to complete.

matthew018

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2018
iPhone Attempting Data Recovery on iOS 11

If your iPhone got stuck while “attempting data recovery” screen, to get of this issue then you can force to restart your iPhone.

find out the steps on how to restart your iPhone mention bleow:

Press and quickly release the Volume Up

Press and quickly release the Volume Down

Now on the other side, press and hold the Power button until you see the Apple Logo on the screen.

For-Restart-iPhone-8-To-Fix-Attempting-Data-Recovery-Error.jpg

For iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus:

Press and hold Volume Down and Power button together for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo on the screen.

For-Restart-iPhone-7-To-Fix-Attempting-Data-Recovery-Error-165x300.jpg

For iPhone 6S/6 and earlier, iPad or iPod Touch:

Press and hold Power and Home button together for at least 10 seconds until you see the Apple logo on the screen.

For-Restart-iPhone-6-To-Fix-Attempting-Data-Recovery-Error-273x300.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.