ATTENTION!!! "Reception issue" iPhone 4 owners!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BobHail, Jun 24, 2010.

1. BobHail macrumors 6502a

Go to the Applestore immediately and demand for a new phone that doesn´t have this issue. Because there are apparently phones that don´t have this.

Don´t be a coward and settle for this cr$p!

2. admanimal macrumors 68040

Until I see two phones sitting right next to each other where one does have the issue and the other does not, I'm not convinced of this.

3. RKilbane20 macrumors 6502a

How can you not be convinced? I can have 5 bars like I always do. Put my hand at the bottom left and watch them go to nothing. Lets go of my phone and watch them go back up to 5.

4. admanimal macrumors 68040

I am saying that I'm not convinced that there are phones that do not have the issue.

My phone does it too. The problem is that people who are saying they don't have the issue might just not have the same signal characteristics in their location as people who are experiencing it. The only semi-scientific way to verify that a phone does not have the problem is to put it right next to a phone that does have the problem and try it.

5. dojoman macrumors 65816

So what? My 3GS does this too. I'm pretty sure it has always been since original iPhone. No one has noticed it until i4 because of new antenna design. I bet you non iPhone would do this if you hold it certain way.

6. RKilbane20 macrumors 6502a

My bad

7. dagomike macrumors 65816

You'll likely need to leave the Apple Store/mall to know you have a problem. Usually there's strong signal in the stores.

8. BobHail thread starter macrumors 6502a

I´ve seen few videos here on this forum with no "reception issue", full bars!

This is pretty depressing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GqUG-_Daek

Now go change those FAIL phones!

9. jb007clone macrumors 6502

jb007clone

I highly doubt that. There are too many people having this issue. I am more inclined to believe that the people who don't have the issue simply live in an area with very good reception.

10. admanimal macrumors 68040

There have been a bunch of people who tried bunches of phones in the stores and could recreate the problem on all phones they tried.

Again, having one phone in isolation that apparently doesn't have the problem proves absolutely nothing because of the wildly varying signal conditions from one location to another. You need to have one phone work and another not in the exact same location to make a real judgement.

Let's suppose a particular phone has the issue. If this phone is in a place with very strong signal, it isn't going to drop any bars even if it goes from say -50db to -70db. If it is in a different location with a poor signal, it might go from -70db to -90db and drop to 1 bar. In other words, you won't know the phone has a problem unless you're in the right signal conditions. If you start with a phone that clearly exhibits the issue and then put another phone in the exact same spot and it does not exhibit the issue, then perhaps that phone does in fact work perfectly.

11. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

12. admanimal macrumors 68040

Was there a specific spot you can touch to really kill the signal or was it a general thing when you handled the phone?

13. Dxs016 macrumors newbie

I'm fron London in the uk. My iPhone 4 arrived today as did a friend of mine. My reception has improved greatly over the 3GS. Full bars everywhere I have been today. I'm on o2. My friend has not been so lucky and does have very bad reception. He's actually struggling to make calls. We are meeting tomorrow sonim going to compare devices and see whets what.

14. AldoRay macrumors member

Exactly. My 3GS does the same thing, actually worse than mu iPhone 4. I just think that people didn't notice it before.

15. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I don't to start a new thread, so I'll post here.

Becky Worrley is currently on the phone with Apple live on live.TWiT.tv regarding the iPhone reception issues. Note: Apple e-mailed becky for her to call them to get an official statement...

FYI, incase anyone is curious o Apple's take on this.

16. admanimal macrumors 68040

The important thing to do once you are in the same spot is place your finger over the black band on the left side of the phone. Ideally you would have the same person do this for both phones, while standing in the exact same spot.

17. admanimal macrumors 68040

Did she finish talking to them already or is she waiting for them to pick up? I just see them cut occasionally to a lady with a headset on and then back to this other discussion.

EDIT: never mind I just heard them explain whats going on.

18. BobHail thread starter macrumors 6502a

Who would in their right mind keep a phone like this?

I mean seriously, come on!

Go pick a new one people!

19. bentrider macrumors member

Mine is fine. The five people I know who got theirs this morning also don't have the issue. Wondering if it was a regional thing? Seems like mostly overseas and west coast phones? Just wondering if it was just certain shipments.

I've been trying all day to get mine to do it and it won't.

20. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

Ok, mom.

21. Dxs016 macrumors newbie

Yes I will do. It's a shame if it does end up being true. My friend Scott said the signal does return once he leaves it alone. I told him
    About the utube vids and he said that's exactly what he's getting. I'll find out for sure tomorrow.

22. admanimal macrumors 68040

Why is it so hard for you to grasp that no one actually knows if any good ones exist yet, so there might not be any point to getting a new one yet?

We all want perfect working phones. We don't want to waste our time with huge crowds at Apple Stores if we're just going to get another phone with the same issue, which is quite likely.

23. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

we get is dude, we get that your mad, we get it.

24. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

I'm not going through the hassle until I get a confirmation that this is a defect and not a design flaw. Worry about yourself, Bob.