ATTN Macrumors Moral Police--Nobody Gives a Damn

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by puma1552, Jul 5, 2010.

1. puma1552 macrumors 601

So, I've bit my tongue for a long while on this, since I joined the site pretty much but I'm just tired of seeing it now and something needs to be said.

I see so many threads on this forum where people ask for help/advice/whatever, and all they get is unsolicited holier-than-thou rhetoric from the Macrumors moral police.

I see threads where people lose their computer hard drive and need to transfer their purchased songs back from their iPod to their new computer, and the moral police jump in and tell them what they are doing is so illegal and immoral and that it's the worst thing on the planet to make a copy of their own damn songs they purchased legally to put them back on their hard drive after losing everything. Nobody asked for this holier-than-thouism, and more importantly, nobody cares.

I don't think anyone's losing sleep over copying back their own music and to suggest someone repurchase thousands of songs that they already purchased? Get real. To these moral police I always say, "Well and what do you think you're doing every time you load those purchased songs on your iPod? That's right, you're making a copy. Better find a way to transfer the song to your iPod without making a copy, and harp at Apple about it while you're on your soapbox." Silence is usually what ensues when they realize they've painted themselves into a corner.

I see threads about the Amazon no sales tax deals that deteriorate inevitably into a bunch of (again, completely unsolicted/unwanted/nonconstructive) people talking about how people should voluntarily report the pittance of tax at the end of the year on their IRS forms and how they are model citizens above those who don't do so. Nobody asked for your morality input, and nobody gives a damn.

I see other threads asking for advice about which car to buy, and there's always a twat or three telling them to ditch their car and be "green" and ride their bike. Nobody asked for that, it's not constructive, and most people don't care. People asking about what car to buy sure as hell don't want to hear some hipster come in their with their "green" applesac and tell them that they should ditch the car and sweat their ass off biking unreasonable distances to work. Keep it to yourself? I have a Camaro with open headers, you think I would really appreciate such an useless suggestion? I certainly know if I made a poll with several cars listed, I wouldn't like someone coming in telling me to live a clean, "green" lifestyle like them.

I see other threads ranging from girls asking about getting waitress jobs for a paltry $2.14/hour + tips and see moral police harping on them for only reporting half of their tips and how they are getting so screwed in their six figure tax bracket by the poor waitress who doesn't report a few spare bucks. Well guess what? Again nobody asked for your input, and nobody cares. With your supposed pull by being such a model citizen, why not write your congressman a letter complaining about restructuring the business models in which tips are tracked and recorded?

I'm just tired of it. I see countless unsolicited post after countless unsolicited post here by people who obviously have been fed with a silver spoon their whole lives and who obviously live in glass houses. I'm a model citizen to a "T" more or less but some of the stuff people here find to whine and complain about in other peoples' lives reeks of absolutely retarded and unnecessary. It makes the people who complain from their pedestal seem awfully pathetic, and ultra-square.

Take a deep breath, go outside, and drink a beer. Worry about yourself. If people want moral advice, they will come to you. Otherwise help, or just keep your mouth shut.

The holier-than-thou stance that a lot of people take here at every chance they can worry about how someone else lives their life is extremely unbecoming, and extremely deconstructive to the board, and many of us are sick of seeing it every time someone asks for help.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I agree. What's the point of your thread again? Oh, right...

3. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

If the posts are enough off-topic or use a derogatory tone you can always report them. That's what I do. I don't come across too many threads like you describe and don't really see the point in ranting about it, but you are able to report posts and help contribute to the community by cleaning it up from pointless posts.

5. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Well if it makes you feel any better I also agree with you. I just tend to ignore people like that. They probably have moral issues themselves and just want to take it out on someone else so they feel better about themselves.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I'm indifferent to your rant but isn't this thread borderline pot meets kettle? :rolleyes:

7. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Ah, irony's sweet sting.

8. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

9. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

if there were more hugs in the world we'd all be in a happier place. :D

10. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

I do agree with the OP to an extent, probably not to the ranting degree, but I do still feel the tense nature of posts as of late. I think the iPhone/iPad hysteria has long-time users a bit riled-up, and we seem to take it out on the likes of people who log in to brag about their shiny new toy.

I suppose everyone has that right; to show off their expensive little gadget, but I don't think the harsh nature of some of the replies are quite necessary. And software/media police do get quite annoying, especially when you think that Apple isn't going to hand you a cookie for making some poor person's life 30 seconds more miserable by scrolling through self-righteous garbage. People use MR as a quick source of helpful information, and by parading around as the internet gestapo, we tend to make peoples' lives that much more difficult.

I applaud the OP for bringing this up, as futile an effort as it may be. This thread is undoubtably aimed at those perpetrating such condescending posts, but by their very nature, these users will shrug this off and think higher of themselves for doing so. Well done, nonetheless.

11. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I agree, the holier than thou is a PITA. I try to ignore it, as it seems to be a part of the socioeconomic bracket that Apple markets most towards, and is therefore unavoidable.

12. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Who asked you?

14. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

From what I understand from the original post, nobody...

15. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I am visiting Adelaide soon.

Edit: The Australia one.

Edit x2: is there more than one?

16. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Nope :D

17. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Then I bought the right plane ticket :D

18. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Well that was lucky now, wasn't it! :p

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Perhaps if you used your own advice, you'd not feel the need to rant or get upset. :rolleyes:

Don't worry about other people's posting, or criticizing other posters for pointing out something is illegal or immoral.

btw, if I see someone asking for help for cracking software, or warez sites, etc. I'll throw my $.02 in that they're stealing.

20. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

I have used my own advice, and have bit my tongue for the better part of two years.

It gets old to see day in day out here, so I decided it was time to comment on it instead of sitting idly by any longer.

Throw your $.02 in wherever you want to, by all means, just realize that it will immediately be filed under irrelevant/useless/unhelpful/unnecessary by most.

21. Queso macrumors G4

I'm quite impressed something so irrelevant can be spun out into 10 paragraphs. Can the OP also turn a shopping list into a novel?

22. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

As does your post. I mean really, you don't see the humor in tantrum at all?
    Just relax. Opinions are like *******s, everyone has one and they all stink ... even yours. ;)

23. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

It's Sydney you have to be careful about. You could wind up in Nova Scotia... which is more North Atlantic than South Pacific. :)

As for the OP's re-fried rant du jour. Sounds like you were posting about your own perceived morality over others. This isn't the case of the kettle calling the pot black; you are the kettle and the pot! ... a po-ettle maybe? :D

In all seriousness your rant here is equally as counter productive as the posts you mentioned above. People have all sorts of opinions and they feel free to spout all sorts of non-sense and counter advice anonymously over the internet. It's up to all of us to use our own sense of reason to decide how to respond.

Oh and blocking the iPhone and iPad forums in the forum spy helps too. ;)

24. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-