[ATTN:] Wallpaperize.app Released

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by TheSpaz, Jan 1, 2008.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

ATTENTION: I just added a new version of Wallpaperize.app. Please download version 1.0.3b that I have posted below. I also kept version 1.0.2b on here just in case there are any problems. Please try it out. It now has support for iPhone/iPod touch 1.1.3 firmware. Special thanks goes to "tk" in ##iphone for helping me fix it.

Edit: 1.0.3b also works on firmware 1.1.1 and 1.1.2.

Wallpaperize can set any jpg file that is downloaded in Safari as your iPhone or iPod touch wallpaper. Wallpaperize also downloads the jpg file and places it in your Wallpaper folder so you can easily apply it right from the iPhone/iPod touch settings menu.

Please read the Read Me file.

Thank you for trying out my App!

If you need help:

- This app REQUIRES BSD SubSystem to be installed. Look for it on Installer.app under "System".

- If Wallpaperize.app is not working properly try the following in the Terminal:
    Code:
    chmod 755 /Applications/Wallpaperize.app/wallpaperize
    Code:
    chmod 755 /Applications/Wallpaperize.app/alert
    Code:
    chmod 755 /Applications/Wallpaperize.app/gen_unique_filename
    All of those files need to be executable in order for Wallpaperize to function properly. Hopefully I'll find it a home on Installer.app so nobody has to mess with this stuff.

Attached Files:

2. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Does anyone want to donate me an icon and I'll release the whole package?

3. rocktofakie3 macrumors member

ok

OK so what format do you need the icon? and if you havnt got one yet ill try and make one...Do i need to Jailbreak ipod to use that App.:confused:

4. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Sorry: I already had someone build me the icon... I'm trying to get someone to host the App now on a repository and also trying to write the documentation for it.... hang tight... it's coming.

Yes, you need a jailbroken iPod touch for it.

5. rocktofakie3 macrumors member

this is going to seem really dumb but can I jailbreak my iPod then get that app get the home screen wallpaper then uninstall the jailbreak then upgrade to 1.1.2/current?

6. syngatesa7x macrumors newbie

no, uninstalling the jailbreak would uninstall all your apps, including the wallpaper one. But there is a way to jailbreak 1.1.2 if you really want 1.1.2

7. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

uninstalling a jailbreak involves wiping your ipod, all a jailbreak is is a modified firmware nothing you can simply uninstall and carry on as normal

8. sk8mash macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

any if your that worried about getting a wallpaper, why dont you just sync it to your ipod tocuh without jailbreaking?

9. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Can't do that on the go though without a lap top near by. This app is designed to work wherever you have a wifi connection and it's convenient to set the wallpaper when you're bored of the ones that are installed on the iPod touch. I'm really close to releasing this app... Final touches are being made on it.

10. pumpkinuts macrumors newbie

wtf lol just sync images....i bet ppl have more pcs than wifi:p

11. sk8mash macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

I was actually referring to to the guy who wanted to jailbreak just to get the app so he could change his wallpaper, but hey!

12. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Also, what you are forgetting is that when you sync images using iTunes, it degrades the image quit a bit and lowers the bit depth and you get crappy dithering. My method allows for the full quality jpeg to give nice and smooth colors.

13. TmecIPT macrumors newbie

Any update on this it sounds like a cool app...? :D

14. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Ah yes, a friend of mine took over the project because he was more into it than I was... I'll ask him how he's doing. Sorry to keep you all waiting.

15. emb531 macrumors member

16. TmecIPT macrumors newbie

Right on. Thanks.. keep us posted this sh*t has potential IMO.

17. Sketh macrumors 6502

Sketh

I've been waiting for this project for a while now, and since we basically have just seen vaporware, I'll go ahead and say I'm willing to help your friend to get this thing off the ground.

A while ago I whipped up an icon for Wallpaperize, and kind of just left it sitting there, I didn't have anything to go off of, since I haven't seen any of the app yet, but I just went with it.

If you or your friend need someone to help with the project, I'm available.

Attached Files:

18. Shanesan macrumors 6502

Shanesan

19. Sketh macrumors 6502

Sketh

I believe I did just as I was supposed to (double checking in a minute) and all the app does is seem to launch (Shows my status bar and background) then go back to my springboard. The settings menu does not show the image I had open in safari as a choice for wallpaper, I haven't fully rebooted, but I've relaunched springboard, and still no dice.

I may be missing something? Checking now.

**EDIT**

I've turned off my summerboard wallpaper, and still no luck, Wallpaperize does not seem to move any image into my wallpaper folder either, or anywhere else on my ipod (I've searched in mobile finder.)

****EDIT AGAIN****

It's possible that it isn't working correctly because I used Bosstools to move my apps from / to var, I'm looking into this now.

20. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Hello, thanks for trying it!

Do you have BSD SubSystem installed?
    Also, did you upload this to your iPod with AFP or SSH?
    Also, check and make sure that it's executable. (chmod 755 /Applications/Wallpaperize.app/wallpaperize)

I moved my Applications folder too and it works for me.

21. Sketh macrumors 6502

Sketh

i sshd using winscp, and set the permissions. Also, i have the bsd subsystem installed. Ill keep at it.

22. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I don't really know what's going on then because I used FTP to copy mine to my iPod and it works perfectly. Try this:

chmod 755 /Applications/Wallpaperize.app/alert
    chmod 755 /Applications/Wallpaperize.app/gen_unique_filename

Hope this helps.

23. Sketh macrumors 6502

Sketh

I have it working now, user error. Fine app you have here.

24. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Thanks. What was the user error (just in case I need to clarify)?

25. Sketh macrumors 6502

Sketh

I didn't set permissions to 777 like I thought I did, most people don't know to to that, I just used squid the app on installer

Some things I noticed: you can use smaller images, it would be nice to be able to use larger images and just move it around in the future.

I'm impressed, though. Also I would look into getting it on installer.