ATT's improving infrastructure

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by einmusiker, Jan 3, 2011.

1. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

I've noticed significantly improved performance on att's network since the arrival of iphone 4, and I now know for sure they are improving their infrastructure.

In a small town that I often work in, there used to be only very unreliable edge service on att. Today I noticed nearly full bar 3g coverage throughout the town. I have to say I am pretty impressed. There are still places I travel to where att can't compete with verizon but I do think they are improving.

anyone else notice similar findings?

2. liquidlink macrumors member

My house used to be only 2 bars sometimes even one. In the last week signal has improved to 5 bars of services and no more dropped calls at home. Whatever they did a week ago I am loving it.

3. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

4. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Yes, I've noticed some dead spots no longer exist. Also noticed increased data speeds.

5. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

Both att and verizon will have places where one has better coverage than the other. Verizons "map" commercials are very misleading. They are actually far closer to each other.

6. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

AT&T just turned the towers in my area on to 3G right before Christmas. I have a tower about 1 mile from my house so I've always had full strength, but it was always Edge and now I got 3G.

7. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

whats your zip?

60645 is till horrendous.

8. alectheking macrumors 6502a

like he chose to let AT&T flip the switch to 3G in his area?

9. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

As I sit in my office for 9-10 hours a day I usually have "no service": not a damn bar. On top of that, iOS4 came out and then the iPhone couldn't access the company's WiFi. I was left with a VERY expensive music player and seriously considered throwing it through AT&T's front window.

10. einmusiker thread starter macrumors 68030

einmusiker

I think this is probably what happened in the town I work

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

So far here in Boston, both ATT and VZW offer great coverage and signal strength. I can't complain about either. My wife who has an IP4 gets the same number of bars as I do on my Droidx

12. zephxiii, Jan 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2011

zephxiii macrumors 6502

In the small town of Auburn Indiana where I work, they just recently (on the 22nd) increased 3g signal strength by flipping on 850mhz channels which brought in a huge improvement.

13. iGary Guest

iGary

There were a ton of dead zones and I dropped quite a few calls in my area when the iPhone first came out. They've done a really good job in our area (Washington/Baltimore Metro), in my opinion. I haven't dropped a call in a couple of years at least.

14. chestvrg macrumors 65816

I'm so happy for AT&T. The next step is HSPA+ but I don't know if our current iPhones support the technology.

Chester - iPhone using Tapatalk

15. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

ATT has long ago completed its upgrades here and phone service still sucks.

Dropped calls, incoming calls routed directly to voicemail... one of the lowest customer satisfaction rates in the country.

16. los318 macrumors 6502

los318

i was talking to friends of mine here at work. Most of us agree that our 3g speed is pretty quick right now. LTE will be cool but i wonder how much of a differance we'll actually see in download speed. For now though, at&t's 3g coverage is pretty good for us!

17. Mark Booth macrumors 65816

Mark Booth

Sounds like the Verizon rumors are lighting a fire under AT&T's ass! :D

Mark

18. chestvrg macrumors 65816

Can you post your zip code where you live so more or less we know the area. I live in 33145 (Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Bch counties ) and Srvcs and reception in AT&T is great.

Chester - iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

20. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

The're improving, but only to keep pace with growth. I've seen speeds slowly creep up only to slide back to where they started from. This pattern has happened more than once.

It's kind of like the tide. It slowly grows than swiftly shrinks back to where it started. Again and again and again.

I'd say service is abou the same now as it was in 2008, but I remember certain months were it got much better temporarily.

That's the data network I'm talking about, btw. The voice network has gotten MUCH worse over time. The call quality went from 'fair' to 'terrible' and dropped calls were worse in 2010 than any previous year. I've been using 'Viber' recently, but no matter what you use, try to get onto the data network and off the voice network as often as you can.

21. zephxiii macrumors 6502

Voice quality on what? 3G or GSM? And where?

22. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

3G - Pretty much anywhere

It's gotten worse month by month over the last year. It's to the point now where I honestly can't understand every 6th or 7th word people say. The words just sound like people crumpling paper up.

I know it's at&t because when I talk to my wife on her iPhone it's twice as bad. If I call her desk phone it goes back to the normal amount.

And no, it's not just my phone. I've spoken with enough other iPhone owners to know I'm not alone. (In fact, there's a local iPhone-owning DJ who, when he can't understand a caller or loses the call says "Ooops, iPhone owner!")

And I know it's not the iPhone itself because Viber sounds FANTASTIC. The iPhone has amazing call quality if you use it on VOIP so I know the hardware's good.

23. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Agreed, for the most part. In the 20904 area, service (reception wise) has improved significantly within the past year or so. Fortunately, for me, they actually installed a new tower about 5 miles from me so reception is kick ass. Data, on the other hand, could be a lot better but at least there is some improvement(s) occurring so I'll be patient :)

24. diegoesk macrumors regular

My service has gotten better since when I last had att in july.

to the OP and everyone else, check out www.cellreception.com.

25. zephxiii macrumors 6502

Sounds like you are describing the hard handoffs on a GSM call....