ATV 1 streaming

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by theslaz, Oct 12, 2013.

1. theslaz macrumors 6502

Is there a program or an app that would allow one to stream video from a computer to a Tv via the ATV 1? The ATV is jail broken; so that is not a problem. I tried the Remote HD app, thinking that it would stream video; but it appears it only streams audio.

Thanks in advance

2. Delmar macrumors 6502

Good question, I want to know the answer also.

3. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Did you install Remote HD on aTV as well? On mine it makes aTV1 look like aTV2 and allows to stream video, with limitations (eg no subtitle support)

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

It could always stream video from your iTunes Library, with the option to sync and store them locally on the ATV 1. I believe there's an option on the ATV to show only synced video, or to show both synced and those in your iTunes Library (on your Mac).

Of course, you also need to make sure the video meets the maximum size, frame rate, and bit rate for the ATV 1.

The Apple Remote app for iOS will still control the ATV 1 and select media as if you were using the TV interface.

5. theslaz thread starter macrumors 6502

I should have mentioned in my original question; that I can stream videos from my computer to the ATV 1 via iTunes. Thats a given! My question is; can I stream videos without going through iTunes? What I’m trying to do is stream videos from the Xbmc program on my Mac to the ATV 1; or just play a video, that hasn’t been converted to a format that iTunes requires!

----------

I have installed the Remote HD on the ATV 1 and on my iMac. I can’t get the combination to work together so that I can stream from my Mac to the ATV 1. I know I must be doing something wrong!

6. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Do you see your aTV1 as AirPlay target in iTunes? Name should be your aTV name prefixed with RHD- ??
    I would try Beamer for streaming from iMac to aTV.
    It's been a while since I last time used my aTV1 but from what I remember, the Remote HD allowed to stream video playing on aTV back to my iPhone, not the other way around. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

7. theslaz thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes; ATV-RHD shows as a target. And I think you are right about streaming video from the Atv 1 to a iPhone; or in my case; A iPad. Its just that in reading the info on the Remote Hd; they make it sound like one can stream from the Mac to the ATV 1!

I will look up Beamer, and see what it has to offer.

8. theslaz thread starter macrumors 6502

Just tried Beamer. Looks impressive and easy to use; however; it won’t play on my ATV 1. It plays great on my ATV 3. One draw back; is that it appears you have to load a file into it in order for it to play. Using Xbmc; I don’t think that is possible. I think that the only way to play a movie through Xbmc from my Mac is to have it streamed. Beamer doesn’t do that. Correct me if I’m wrong.

When I first started Beamer it recognized my ATV 3; and My ATV RHD. I chose my ATV RHD. When I attempted to play my move; a error message came up on the TV through ATV; that it was unable to play the video; due to the fact the file format was unrecognized. I tried three different file formats; all came up with the same error message!

9. priitv8 macrumors 68020

I got mixed results with RHD. First of all, I can seem to AirPlay everything from iTunes, that remains below 4000kbps, even 1080p movies. Those that exceed this, don't seem to complete loading.
    Using Beamer, I got the same error that you cited on one occasion, but playback of a sub-4000kbps movie succeeded.
    What do you mean by loading into it? Indeed, you need to let Beamer open your file. But it will stream using AirPlay protocol in any case. It will transcode on the fly if needed (eg you can stream a AVI or MKV file, even having a DTS audio - Beamer will stream it to AirPlay correctly).

10. theslaz thread starter macrumors 6502

What I’m trying to do is stream videos from my Mac that are playing through Xbmc. There is no file associated with these videos; so I can’t load them into Beamer.

11. priitv8 macrumors 68020

OK, got it! In this case I can see 2 options:
    1) install XBMC on your aTV1 (I used ATV USB Creator + Installer to achieve this)
    2) use AirPlay mirroring
    Re option 2)
    - haven't tried if RHD can take mirroring stream but why shouldn't it?
    - does XBMC playback offer AirPlay directly? If so then you won't need mirroring but can just forward your stream to aTV.

12. theslaz thread starter macrumors 6502

What image did you use to install Xbmc? When ever I try; it seems I always wind up with Xbmc version Eden. I would like the Latest Frodo.

13. dynaflash macrumors 68020

14. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Well, I did it already a while ago and have since moved on to aTV 3 but I used the regular ATV Patchstick (ATV USB creator produces one), which gave me Launcher (currently at 3.2.5) and Launcher provides a way to install both XBMC and Boxee. Last XBMC version that I could install via Launcher was 11.0 Eden. So I've never dealt with install images myself.

15. potatis macrumors 6502a

potatis

there's AirParrot, but not sure if it works on remote-HD enabled ATV1?