ATV 4 Remote, doesn't use IR blaster to turn on TV...

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by jplusc, Oct 29, 2015.

1. jplusc macrumors 6502a

I'm seeing in the reviews that it looks like the IR blaster is only used to control the TV volume and not power the TV on and off. They're saying turning the TV on and off is via an HDMI function. This is disappointing. I was really ready for only 1 remote finally. Curious if anyone with a dev model can confirm this?

2. protobiont macrumors 6502a

There's no power button. I too am disappointed in this.

3. JoeShades, Oct 29, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2015

JoeShades macrumors 6502a

so big deal, are you constantly turning the TV on and off? good grief, turn the TV on with another remote and that is it, big deal. It would be a problem if you need another remote to control the volume because you will need the other remote more for that

4. jplusc thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am, also my kids lose remotes. Furthermore this is my sole device for consuming content on my TV, I'd like to be able to use a single remote control to control everything. I appreciate that your circumstances may allow you to not value this particular feature, I do, if you don't agree feel free to keep your opinion to yourself. Thanks.

5. JoeShades macrumors 6502a

No i will give my opinion whenever i feel like it thanks. And you don't need a remote to turn a tv on or off anyway. If it is big hassle to turn the tv on and then off you have issues. You should keep the TV remote handy anyway just in case but that is common sense

6. timmahh macrumors newbie

It'd be nice to consolidate remotes, but I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon for people like me. I have one for the cable box, which obviously ATV Isn't going to handle, and one for the AVR to change inputs and volume. One remote would be nice, but.. complicated order.

7. mic j macrumors 68030

Not too complicated for my Logitech remote. It control the TV, STB, AVR and aTV.

8. timmahh macrumors newbie

Yeah, I had a Harmony remote long ago, and it was clunky back then. I'm sure after several years they are better, but it was faster for me to press AVR ON, TV -> PWR -> Cable -> PWR, as compared to holding the harmony while it ran through it's macros.

9. ohio.emt macrumors 6502a

If it works like my fire tv thanks to HDMI CEC, I just wake the fire tv with its remote and it turns on my tv.

10. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

I thought i read you can set your receiver to hdmi control and it will wake the tv and turn it on? Thats if you have a receiver your tv is plugged into?

11. mic j macrumors 68030

They've improved a lot then. I just press 1 button (Movie, TV or Music) and it turns on or off all the needed/not needed components...quickly. It also control my U-Verse, aTV UI just fine. I am really not looking forward to now have to have a second remote (aTV) to have to have at hand.

12. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

Did you have to put it on any setting on your receiver for this to work? pass through hdmi?

13. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

if you have a newer tv, just use the remote to change the volume or whatever will wake the ATV and it will wake your TV at the same time.

14. TurboPGT! Suspended

The Apple TV Remote has a button for turning it and your TV on that the same time via Bluetooth. Your TV needs to have HDMI-CEC enabled, which most newer TVs do.

This is a good thing.

15. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

It does use HDMI CEC. I'm not sure if it is on my default.

16. ohio.emt macrumors 6502a

As long as you have CEC turned on it should work. Note it is called something different by each manufacturers. I.e. Samsungs isn't called anynet+

17. normanfox macrumors 6502a

if you have a serious home theater system with many devices, having one remote keeps thing simple, especially for wife and kids. Less remotes to lose.

I have only one universal remote and store away all factory remotes. HDMI CEC is unreliable and can create problems. if you hit any buttons on the remote and wake ATV up by accident (roll over during sleep), it can turn on the TV by accident. If you have a plasma TV, being on all night can cause burn-in damage.

18. dugbug macrumors 65816

dugbug

Also if you touch a button on the remote the apple commands over hdmi cec to switch tv to proper input.

Volume works over hdmi cec or ir

19. Gannon1 macrumors newbie

I have a TV and a receiver with surround sound. Will I be able to turn everything on and off and adjust the receiver's volume with an ATV4?

20. ajiuo macrumors 65816

Can the volume buttons be set up to Control the volume on a receiver instead of a tv?

21. maclook macrumors 65816

I see these types of people so much on MacRumors nowadays. They have nothing better to do than to sit on forums all day and talk negatively to every other user. You just gotta ignore them since they're not looking for a discussion.

22. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

Very good point. Also HDMI-CEC messes with universal remotes and macro's. Fortunately I only have a sound bar and ATV connected to my living room tv.

23. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

FOUND YOUR ANSWER!

hold down the button with the tv symbol on it. this is the power on-off button

24. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

The other problem I've found with HDMI-CEC is that unless every HDMI device you have connected supports it, it's a pain. At least how it's implemented on my TV, it means that if I need to scroll through the TV inputs to get to one of the inputs that does not use CEC, it wakes up those that do as I scroll through the list. Scrolling through the list wakes up the CEC devices, and then they send the signal to switch back to that input! It's a mess to use in practice. I guess this will work if you use CEC and the ATV is your ONLY source.

25. I am Sampson macrumors 6502

I am Sampson

I'm amazed you need any remotes at all. Microsoft made our house remoteness years ago for 90% of use.
    "Xbox on" and the tv, amp, skybox and Xbox all bootup into the right settings.
    Why apple didn't make Siri be able to do this is beyond me. So much for home automation. They could have surpassed Microsoft functionality, especially as they've been doing it for years already. For shame apple.