Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JMEANS

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2012
Two ATV4K’s no longer can find my Library?! Home share error etc. I’m thinking it could be latest update of either my Big Sur Mac update OR ATV update. Started last week after these updates. I managed to get the ATV4K back recognizing my Library ONCE after a Router/Modem unplug, but that’s not working now. The ATV4K’s are 3 years old and I remember this business happening before but cannot remember the reason or fix. Really hoping it’s temporary. Thank G for Plex as it can find the Library just fine. Any info or help on this would be appreciated. Thx in advance and Merry Christmas to all. Jim

Reactions: ep2002

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Some older routers especially cheap ones don't even do Jombo frames that Mac has had almost from the beginning of OS X doing Jomobo frame! Update you router as soon as possible! You already found one thing that router can't do! Sorry to tell you this truth! Also the Apple TV hid from the beginning !

JMEANS

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2012
Thanks satcomer for the info. Maybe my current 3yr old router just needs an update on it? I’ve never checked that out. Will try looking before getting a new one. If I do need a new router/modem, what specific capability should the new one have to play nice with the Mac and ATV 4K’s?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Thanks satcomer for the info. Maybe my current 3yr old router just needs an update on it? I’ve never checked that out. Will try looking before getting a new one. If I do need a new router/modem, what specific capability should the new one have to play nice with the Mac and ATV 4K’s?
Jumbo frames certainly have nothing to do with the problem you’re having and don’t apply to Wi-Fi anyway.
I’d start my troubleshooting with turning off media sharing on the Mac and signing the TV app on the Mac and Apple TVs out of your Apple ID, then sign back in and reenable home sharing.
I’ve had fewer home sharing problems with Macs running Monterey and Ventura than with Big Sur as well, in case upgrading macOS is an option for you.

JMEANS

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2012
Thanks for the reply, just tried what you mentioned and no positive results. Even rebooted modem and nothing. What’s weird is the modem reboot worked once, not since, so there’s that.

JMEANS

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2012
Thanks for the tip. Tried it but nothing. Rebooted my modem last week and it worked only the one time. So it’s weird it doesn’t now. Guessing this is my last Big Sur update that’s the issue and from what I can recall it was only a Safari and minor security update.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Where is your library hosted? I occasionally see this and it resolves after I quit and restart iTunes on its host, or the media server.

JMEANS

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2012
Hey ColdCase, thx for asking. My library is on my Mac mini running OS BigSur. Not sure if your referring to restarting the ATV4K only, but yes I have had to do that occasionally all along and it will reconnect to my library no problem. My Mac mini will time out and sleep without activity, so I have to wake it up. Kind of annoying but my ATV4K’s will always find the library after doing so, so I don’t mind. If your referring to logging out of my APPLE ID and or, turning off Home Share on the Mac mini and ATV4K’s I have tried that as well and the ATV’s still cannot find the library after turning everything back on. But if there is another method to restart iTunes (think it’s called ATV now?) then what do you mean? Restarting the computer as a whole? Thx for clarifying. Jim

Last edited:

GaryMumford

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2008
UK
I have a similar issue. I’ve just done a clean install of Ventura and now both me ATV’s cannot see the macs library. I have rebooted everything, signed out and in of iCloud and turned home sharing off and on, but nothing solves it. I just get a message on the ATV’s saying to share the Mac’s library, turn on home sharing on the Mac with the same iCloud account. I’m stumped???

JMEANS

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2012
Something wild is definitely going on for sure. NOW my audio doesn’t work if I switch to my bluray player and back. Nothing makes sense with it. I have to power off both devices multiple times, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. It’s like the ATV4K doesn’t know how to work as it had for 3 years?! BRUTAL

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Hey ColdCase, thx for asking. My library is on my Mac mini running OS BigSur. Not sure if your referring to restarting the ATV4K only, but yes I have had to do that occasionally all along and it will reconnect to my library no problem. My Mac mini will time out and sleep without activity, so I have to wake it up. Kind of annoying but my ATV4K’s will always find the library after doing so, so I don’t mind. If your referring to logging out of my APPLE ID and or, turning off Home Share on the Mac mini and ATV4K’s I have tried that as well and the ATV’s still cannot find the library after turning everything back on. But if there is another method to restart iTunes (think it’s called ATV now?) then what do you mean? Restarting the computer as a whole? Thx for clarifying. Jim
I dunno if its applicable now days, but I run iTunes on my 2013 mini that hasn't been updated in ages. It works for us so I don't try to fix it. It seems after a network disruption both of my ATVs cannot find the mini (this started after one of the ATV software updates). I quit and restart the mini's itunes app and there is joy again. There was quite a bit of discussion years ago, something about iTunes caching connections and they need to be cleared before it will reconnect to the same ATV.... clear as mud... sorry.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
I have a similar issue. I’ve just done a clean install of Ventura and now both me ATV’s cannot see the macs library. I have rebooted everything, signed out and in of iCloud and turned home sharing off and on, but nothing solves it. I just get a message on the ATV’s saying to share the Mac’s library, turn on home sharing on the Mac with the same iCloud account. I’m stumped???
Something similar happens to me, seems often after a password change. My short term memory is not what it used to be, but after I logged into iCoud from my mac and did something like browse files, I think there was a pop up notification that I responded too and the ATVs returned to something useful.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Something wild is definitely going on for sure. NOW my audio doesn’t work if I switch to my bluray player and back. Nothing makes sense with it. I have to power off both devices multiple times, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. It’s like the ATV4K doesn’t know how to work as it had for 3 years?! BRUTAL
Recently I have noticed the ATV seems much more finicky about HDMI sync/DRM. Restarting the ATV or TV doesn't seem to fix it but disconnecting the HDMI cable and plugging it back in seems to do the trick. Don't understand it but works for us.... but annoying.

AL2TEACH

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2007
North Las Vegas, NV.
ATV4K’s no longer can find my Library?
I've had this also and I restarted the iMac. Most of the times that spinning wheel shows up, I'd use the home button to get home, open another app and try again. If that failed, I would try computers and home about two times ( I must luv the stress). I would restart the Apple TV from the menu if all that failed, go to the TV app and wait a sec for the posters to appear, move to the movies icon and wait for the posters to appear, open another app, then open the computers app and all would be good until the next time, lol. I have yet to unplug anything except for the HDMI to make sure it was in.

JMEANS

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2012
I’ve tried everything. Restarting the Mac mini, 2 ATV4K’s, signing in and out of iTunes, turning on and off homesharing multiple times. Rebooted modem three times. Nothing! Whatever this update is on my 2018 Big Sur OS Mac mini it really does t want to play nice with my ATV’s latest update. Sux

Last edited:

JMEANS

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2012
What I would do is to make sure the movies folder is in the correct place for Apple TV. The pathway stuff. I would use the First Aid in the Disc Utility.
Thanks for the tip. Interesting idea, but how would this have changed? I haven’t moved or changed a thing. Could the updates of done something?

JMEANS

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2012
Doubt it or else many others would be experiencing it. I would check just to be sure. Is there another update? Try turning home sharing off and on.
Yes turned everything on and off countless times, restarts etc. the Mac mini ATV (iTunes) itself is connected to my library no issue. It’s the 2 ATV4K’s that can’t seem to now find it.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
So you actually quit the ATV (iTunes) app on the mini that hosts your library? And then reopened it? Just double checking as that seemed to be the only thing that worked for me when things got out of sync, restarts or plug pulls were not effective.

JMEANS

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2012
So you actually quit the ATV (iTunes) app on the mini that hosts your library? And then reopened it? Just double checking as that seemed to be the only thing that worked for me when things got out of sync, restarts or plug pulls were not effective.
Yes and just tried that again and nothing. Frustrating. Thx for help

mpainesyd

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Maybe try turning file sharing off on the Mac in Settings/Preferences, restart it, turn file sharing back on and restart again. This should clear any corruption in file sharing.
I am using an old Mac running Mojave as my Homesharing server. Touch wood, it works well with an ATV4K but I am concerned that Apple will neglect the older macOS in future tvOS updates.

JMEANS

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2012
Yeah, no luck guys. Hoping next update with either device will fix this glitch.

AL2TEACH

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2007
North Las Vegas, NV.
Yeah, no luck guys
Maybe, it's the sign in/account?
or look at these steps
or you can try a safe boot

did you ever try First Aid in the Utilities folder?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.