Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
Someone put a toxic knife in the hearts of Auburn University football fans who learned Wednesday that the landmark live oaks at Toomer's Corner have been deliberately poisoned and may not survive.

The university in eastern Alabama confirmed a herbicide commonly used to kill trees and brush was deliberately applied in lethal amounts to the soil around the two 130-year-old oaks on the edge of campus, next to downtown Auburn.

"There is little chance to save the trees," the university said in a statement.
Link

And from just a few minutes ago:
A 62-year-old Dadeville man has been arrested in connection with the poisoning of the historic Toomer's Corner oak trees at Auburn University.

Harvey Almorn Updyke Jr. was arrested early Thursday morning and charged with one count of first-degree criminal mischief, a spokeswoman for the Lee County Sheriff Office said.

Bond was set at $50,000. If convicted, Updyke could face one to 10 years in prison.
Link

Unsurprisingly, he called in to a radio talk show to brag about having done it. I hope they throw the book at him.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Yeah, pretty shameful

I posted about this last night in the College Football thread

Apparently the guy has kids named "Bear" and "Crimson" according to Stewart Mandel's tweet (Sports Illustrated)

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
That is sad but I don't get the point of the toilet paper being tossed on the trees as a vigil.

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
That is sad but I don't get the point of the toilet paper being tossed on the trees as a vigil.
It's just a tradition.
The intersection of Magnolia and College streets in Auburn, which marks the transition from downtown Auburn to the university campus, is known as Toomer's Corner. It is named after Toomer's Drugs, a small store on the corner that has been an Auburn landmark for over 100 years.

Hanging over the corner are two massive old-growth oak trees, and whenever there is cause for celebration in the Auburn community, the trees are festooned with toilet paper. Also known as "rolling the corner" or "rolling Toomer's," this tradition is said to have begun when Toomer's Drugs had the only telegraph in the city. During away football games, when employees of the local drug store received news of a win, they would throw the ticker tape from the telegraph into the oak trees to signal a win to the public. Traditionally only used as a way to celebrate football victories, in recent years it has become a way to celebrate anything good that happens concerning Auburn. The Student Government Association worked with the City of Auburn to bring pep rallies on the plains back to Toomer's Corner during football season.
Link

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
I hope they throw the book at him.

Glad they twigged onto the perp quite quickly. Send the case to special branch.

Lord-of-The-Rings-Tree_l.jpg

CorvusCamenarum

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2004
Birmingham, AL
Yeah, pretty shameful

I posted about this last night in the College Football thread

Apparently the guy has kids named "Bear" and "Crimson" according to Stewart Mandel's tweet (Sports Illustrated)

It's incredibly sad that this douchebag's life is so empty that he 1) gets that worked up over a football game, and 2) that he has to live vicariously through a sports team associated with a college I'll wager he doesn't have the mental fortitude to have ever attended.

I have yet to hear of anyone here expressing anything but disgust for this loser's actions. It's just as bad as if someone had taken a wrecking ball to Denny Chimes.

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
what an utter moron.
he should be sentenced to pay for all costs in the attempted rescue of the trees and those of the eventual replacements and to hundreds of hours of community service.
cleaning the toilets of Auburn's sport facilities for the next 5 years seems an appropriate punishment.

on the other hand, 10 yeras of jail time? that is simply ridiculous. however an idiot this man is, it is trees we are talking about, not people.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I'm not an Auburn fan by any stretch of the imagination, but I do value traditions in College Football for all schools

The Dawgs have "between the hedges", and it would be tantamount to poisoning the hedges in Athens

Here is a video of Toomer's Corner and the traditions there for Auburn

Toomer's Corner

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
Criminal intent (or if this is a tort) is bad enough, but stupidity maddens me even more.

A nearby, but tiny (and then unaccredited military university) wanted a plot of land they rented which had beautiful gardens by Luther Burbank, and old pre-Colombian oaks, and with their presence the oaks were unintentionally destroyed. Though not meaning to kill the oaks, they planted thirsty lawns all around the oaks and killed them all with sprinklers and root rot.

These oaks were on location for hundreds of years, and when the navy decided to make a home there for 50 years, under a very generous lease agreement, they "modified" the landscape to look like big city office buildings with cookie cutter square structures and lawns galore. Today there is no evidence of Burbank's work or the pre-Colombian oaks.

Mind you, this was all done right next to a famous Pebble Beach Company golf course and in a city of fewer than 20,000 people.:mad:

While we can prosecute the guy/people who poisoned the trees at Auburn, good luck on going after DoD with the eyesore they created from what was once a California landmark location with last remaining life on the west coast before Europeans came. When the navy base was almost closed, locals were going to bring the few blocks of eyesore back to the landmark it once was with the Burbank hotel and grounds.

Last edited:

ehoui

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2011
Who cares about jail time. This person should have to spend the next 10 years taking care of the trees for the University of Auburn. How can a 62 year old person be such a moron?!

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
what an utter moron.
he should be sentenced to pay for all costs in the attempted rescue of the trees and those of the eventual replacements and to hundreds of hours of community service.
cleaning the toilets of Auburn's sport facilities for the next 5 years seems an appropriate punishment.

on the other hand, 10 yeras of jail time? that is simply ridiculous. however an idiot this man is, it is trees we are talking about, not people.

Agreed, he should be fined and be responsible for all costs incurred trying to save the trees. This guy is just pathetic.

codymac

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2009

Ever price a large tree?

The ****** Paul Cullen got nine years for poisoning the Treaty Oak in Austin back in 1989 - a glorious and historically significant 500 year old oak that, sadly, still looks like hell today.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
he was dumb in so many ways. First for doing it.
2 for bragging about it on a radio show.

3. Bragging about it still during the winter.

If he really wanted the trees to die he should of kept his mouth shut until a good part of the string was threw because then it would of been to late to save the tree. The trees are in their dormate cycle right now so they have more time to try to save the trees and they not of suck up as much of the poison.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Inmate 1: ...So, yeah, the cops raided me and found all the stuff, and here I am. Hey man, what are you in for?

Inmate 2: I caught my girlfriend cheatin' with my best friend. Shot 'em dead.

Inmate 1: And you?

Inmate 3: I robbed a bank...almost made it across the border too. My buddy got killed in the shootout.

Inmate 1: How about you?

Harvey: I, uh, killed some trees...

Inmate 1: What?

Harvey: But they were like, really big trees!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.