audio in on Mid 2012 13" Macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gsvar2004, Jun 17, 2012.

1. gsvar2004 macrumors member

just connected up the guitar to the "audio in/audio out" and it doesnt seem like this thing has option for audio in in the system preferences. Its advertised as a audio on apple site.

any suggestions?

2. gsvar2004 thread starter macrumors member

yeah i have done it before on an older macbook but when i do what i have done before and the same things discribed in that blog nothing happens. i have no option in sys pref to change to line it

3. derickdub macrumors 6502

You don't see an "Input" option under sound in user preferences?

Should look something like this:
    [​IMG]

If not, I suggest doing a PRAM reset.

4. gsvar2004 thread starter macrumors member

yeah i have that but the only option shows "built in microphone"

5. Xcallibur macrumors 6502a

Xcallibur

And you have actually plugged in a line in cable? If so, try unplugging it and blowing into the hole to clear it of any debris.

6. gsvar2004 thread starter macrumors member

yeah i had my guitar plugged in just as i used to do on my older macbook but i still didnt see an option for audio input.

anyone else had this problem with mid 2012 macbook pro 13.3.

The reason i ask is i am new to lion as on my previous model all i had was leopard and im wondering if im doing something wrong.

7. derickdub, Jun 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2012

derickdub macrumors 6502

Are you switching the drop down menu to the right of "Use audio port for" to "Input"?
    [​IMG]

8. gsvar2004 thread starter macrumors member

i dont have that drop down box as an option

Attached Files:

9. ml.sail1 macrumors regular

Though this should have been available to you from the drop down menu a couple of posts above, try Option-Clicking the volume control slider, and it *should* have an option to switch between input/output. This screenshot is from a friends 13” MBP, but as you can see at the top it has an option for the Audio Port.

Attached Files:

10. gsvar2004 thread starter macrumors member

yeah i dont have that either. i must be doing something wrong.

11. derickdub macrumors 6502

It still hasn't showed up after a PRAM reset? I would take it to an Apple store. It's probably defective.

12. gsvar2004 thread starter macrumors member

well after a call to apple care looks like i have a faulty audio in/out port and ill be bring this brand spankin new macbook pro back to the apple store on thursday. :(:(:(:(

13. macman70 macrumors newbie

macman70

Oh man, how disappointing. I am a guitarist also and practice a lot in Garageband on my iPad with the iRig. I can imagine how frustrating that must be to plug in and not see the input device. I am craving a 13" MBP also. Rare an issue is seen like that on a new unit. Still, good job you tested it and picked up on it now rather than later! let us know how you get on.

14. gsvar2004, Jun 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2012

gsvar2004 thread starter macrumors member

genius bar appt today

so i have my genius bar appt today to have them take a look at my defective audio port (or so apple support says)

My question is do you guys think they will repair this or just give me a new one i mean the computer is 5 days old.

i just dont want to have to use my old macbook if they have to ship this one back or something.

ive gotten used to the speed of this new updated computer

15. macman70 macrumors newbie

macman70

Hard to tell, push the angle that you are disappointed see if they will give a new one. Let us know how it goes, good luck!

16. gsvar2004 thread starter macrumors member

so i took it in and aperantly all of the 13" do not have the "line out option" in the system preferences>sound menu. i have no idea whats going on and the genius bar was no help at all. the guy i talked to had no clue what i was even talking about and even went as far as trying to sell me a iRig or a auido interface. I know this should be possible with this computer to plug a standard electric guitar into the audio in and record. i have seen it done a hundred times or better.

getting really frustrated.

17. macman70 macrumors newbie

macman70

18. kookenhaken macrumors newbie

i too have just purchased one of the new 13" macbook pros. I was intending to use the jack for line level recording from an exterior source. Bit miffed and pissed, seeing as the apple website specs say "audio in/out".

19. iamdavekennedy, Jun 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2012

iamdavekennedy macrumors regular

Works fine for me using the option key on the menu bar to switch between input/output... that is the only place I can find to do it though, I know this might be stupid sounding, and I genuinely don't mean to patronise the OP or anyone else having an issue, but you do know which key is the option key right?

I know a friend of mine had no idea what it was for when I tried to get him to use it before, he started freaking out about his MBP being a 'shitheap' only for me to find out he was pushing the cmd key (thinking the weird hashy fan looking thing beside it was what I meant by 'wierd symbol when I told him over the phone which one the option key was)

The only other thing I can think of depends on how you're connecting your guitar, using cheap instrument cable > headphone jack converters is known to have issues with input ports, especially ones that are dual input/output and also support a digital audio output, if you're connecting it that way, do you get anything if you plug it in around halfway (wiggle it about a little) rather than the whole way in, this problem is also common in pairing the wrong adaptor with the lead/input ie; instrument cable > mono adaptor > stereo input.

20. kookenhaken macrumors newbie

this is what i get from option pressing on the volume icon.

Attached Files:

21. gsvar2004, Jun 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2012

gsvar2004 thread starter macrumors member

thanks mine looks the same as well as all the 13" at the apple store.

i just wish i new why this isnt working i have tried 2 diff cables 2 diff 1/8 to 1/4 adapters my electric and my acoustic with built in pickup.

have no idea and genius bar was no help

ETA i guess ill go pick up an iRig and see if that works and report back

22. gsvar2004 thread starter macrumors member

update

update bought an iRig and it works just fine. More than i wanted to spend but not nearly what guitar center was trying to get me to spend.

23. mikethehamster macrumors newbie

this is bullcrap, why would they remove this option *frustrated*

24. TheRdungeon macrumors 6502

Apple clearly removed this because the new retina doesn't have it... Poor form apple. God I hate when they remove a feature that used to work fine