Audio skipping over HDMI since 10.6.8 update

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MakX, Jun 24, 2011.

1. MakX macrumors member

Ever since the update to 10.6.8 today, audio sent to my Sony TV via the Moshi HDMI adapter skips about 3 times per minute. Happens in both VLC and MPlayer OSX Extended - and if I redirect the audio through the iMac speakers it does not skip.

iMac is the mid 2010 model.

2. muddynet macrumors newbie

I am having exactly the same issue after the 10.6.8 update. Playing a video to samsung tv from mid 2010 27" iMac over a 10 metre hdmi cable connected to display port via moshi adapter. It is a recorded video played back from EyeTV 3

Audio pushed to TV cuts out intermittently but pushed to speakers connected to headphone port on iMac works just fine. Video shows on tv no problem.

3. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

so take your cloned backup hdd and go back to 10.6.7 if you don't have a 10.6.7 clone ask a friend if they have one.

i do advise you to get a blank external hdd and clone the imac to it via superduper

4. MakX thread starter macrumors member

I don't really have any beef with it, if it's fixed in Lion - but I need someone to test it :/

5. 5piN macrumors member

I have a similar problem but when using the spdif out, I've had it before the update but found a work around by lowering the quality to 32000.0 Hz in the Audio Midi Setup.

I guess you could give that a try if it is available with hdmi?

6. MakX, Jun 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2011

MakX thread starter macrumors member

Lowered to 32kHz and 16bit depth and it's still doing it, seemingly as frequently as before. No noticeable difference.

Is there any feasible way to report it to Apple?

7. drpiety macrumors newbie

Same problem here, a solution would be great, my superduper image is too old. Will never update without fresh clone, lesson learned.

8. KuC macrumors newbie

And here as well, same stuff. Audio over HDMI worked fine now skips. :mad:

9. kfscoll macrumors 65816

kfscoll

Weird. I was using Soundflower to output system audio from my '11 iMac over SPDIF and was hearing intermittent clicks and pops. I went to the standard analog headphone output and the clicks and pops stopped. The reason I started using SPDIF in the first place was because my '09 iMac clicked/popped when using the analog output but was fine when using SPDIF. All in all, it sounds like I'm not experiencing a particularly unique problem with my new iMac. Hopefully Lion will clear this up.

10. MakX thread starter macrumors member

Great to know it's not just me. I mean, I can still watch content on my TV but the audio content keeps skipping. There are huge discussions over on Apple's forums about audio problems (somewhat unrelated to this but at least there are indeed problems). Hopefully we've made enough noise for Apple to notice and fix it.

11. RealSkyDiver macrumors 6502

How do you connect SPDIF to a 2011 iMac??

12. kfscoll macrumors 65816

kfscoll

The headphone jack is also a mini-Toslink optical output jack. Just connect your optical cable there and you're good to go. You might have to change the output device to optical digital using Audio MIDI Setup in your Utilities folder, but I can't remember for sure off the top of my head.

13. RealSkyDiver macrumors 6502

Cool! I'm currently using that to watch PC stuff on my TV. This way I don't need to reconfigure my receiver when I get an iMac. Just hope Lion fixes the sound issue. How bad is it really?

14. kfscoll macrumors 65816

kfscoll

It's not that bad; I think I only heard popping when playing stuff back using iTunes. Besides, it's entirely possible that the Soundflower software or my outboard D-A converter was the source of the popping (although they've both worked fine in the past with my old iMac).