August 2nd Approaches... iPhone Update Soon?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The security vulnerability is set to go public on August 2nd, leaving Apple only 2 days to patch the iPhone before this information is publicly released.

Some iPhone update is expected "soon" but no one knows the exact date.

For interest alone, an unconfirmed news tip had claimed that August 1st (tomorrow) would be a day that Apple would be offering some form of Ringtone service. We'll see in the next 24 hours.

Article Link

Joshua8o8

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
Honolulu, Hawai'i
F the ringtones, i already got some, haha. Make my spell check feature work all the time! Not just when it wants to! Damn it, dosent apple know we all cant spel?

Ha ze

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2006
isnt the vulnerability public knowledge already?? I thought it had been reported already

chr1s60

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
California
I may be wrong, but couldn't they unlock a ringtone maker in an iTunes update without having to do anything as far as updating the iPhone software? It seems like they would be able to, but who knows. I do hope they release an update to patch this security issue before it gets out as general knowledge, some new iPhone features wouldn't be too bad though.

knelto

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2007
Forget the ringtones. Give me an earpiece and speaker volume I can hear.
Agreed. That was my first beef with it. First night I had it, I could barely hear over my friends loud, old Jeep.

Ringtones and iChat would be awesome as well. Also, I'd like to see faster rendering in Safari when you zoom in. Not sure if it's possible, but I'd like it.

SoCalStud

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2007
Update is already out

The iPhone update is out. :) Nothing special, but the "bug fixes" mentioned are surely a patch for the recent vulnerability.

chr1s60

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
California
I have a feeling that we wont be seeing any updates for new features or anything like that until October. The fact that the release today was simply security stuff tells me that they simply aren't ready to put anything new on the phone. If they were, why didn't they release it with this update?

knelto

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2007
I have a feeling that we wont be seeing any updates for new features or anything like that until October. The fact that the release today was simply security stuff tells me that they simply aren't ready to put anything new on the phone. If they were, why didn't they release it with this update?
I tend to agree. I don't think we'll see anything until Leopard, although one reason for the security update is because some independent security firm was going to release a list of vulnerabilities next week. Hopefully Apple cleared that all up.

yoman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2003
In the Bowels of the Cosmos
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1C25 Safari/419.3)

knelto said:
I tend to agree. I don't think we'll see anything until Leopard, although one reason for the security update is because some independent security firm was going to release a list of vulnerabilities next week. Hopefully Apple cleared that all up.
Why does everyone think that an update with new features will not come until Leopard? Is it because these new features will be Leopard only? Would this leave windows users in the dust.

Yankees 4 Life

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
College Station, Tx
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1C25 Safari/419.3)

Why does everyone think that an update with new features will not come until Leopard? Is it because these new features will be Leopard only? Would this leave windows users in the dust.
Dont worry, apple isnt stupid to leave us in the dust

bigmc6000

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2006
Hmm

yeah, i can't hear hardly anything on my iPhone. hopefully the update today will help that (installing now)
I haven't had that problem at all. I can always hear people - quite clearly actually. I've tried the headphones, speaker phone, iPhone, and my old bluetooth headset and have yet to have a problem hearing anyone. Do you have the volume all the way up??

blankleader

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2007
Little Rock
You obviously didn't suffer through Apple's dark days in the 90's.

:rolleyes:
You are so right about this.

I'm as big an Apple fan as they come — I have never owned a PC, and got my first Mac in 1992 — but I sweated through years of Power-using OS8 and OS9 at newspaper design jobs and just swallowed my pride and restarted my computer at least once a day after the inevitable freeze. Command-S was the First Commandment.

Apple made it over that horrible bump because they had a loyal niche in the publishing and education markets, make no mistake about it. Graphic artists like me had no choice but to use Macs and the buggy operating systems because Macs were the industry standard.

Thank God for that, because it bought time for Apple to redeem themselves. As buggy as those old systems were, they were superior when it came to user-friendliness in a high-speed environment. They just needed stability.

When Steve came back, I held out hope. When OSX came out, I felt vindicated.

I've never looked back.

AustinJamMan

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2007
Austin, TX
update killed my SMTP

Ever since running this update, and restoring my iPhone due to having the iFuntastic ringtone hack installed, I have not been able to send mail through my POP account on my Exchange server. Gmail works fine and I can receive email fine through POP (exchange), but SMTP mail just sits there at 'sending' and never leaves. Compared the settings with a coworker who can send and they are identical. Fun stuff. :mad: