Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Photographer Austin Mann, who often goes hands-on with new iPhone models in exotic locations to test their capabilities in real world situations, has taken a first look at the iPhone XS and shared some images captured with the new device.

Mann took the iPhone XS to Zanzibar to test it out, and shared the images with PetaPixel.

austinmanniphonexs1.jpg

The iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max are using the same 12-megapixel dual-camera system that was in the iPhone X, with an f/1.8 wide-angle lens and an f/2.4 telephoto lens, both of which feature optical image stabilization, but Apple has made some serious improvements that result in better-than-ever iPhone photos.

Apple has introduced a new image signal processor that integrates with the Neural Engine to introduce Smart HDR, a feature that offers up more detail in the highlights and shadows of images. The image signal processor also offers up more sophisticated bokeh (aka background blurring) to better match the results you can get from high-end DSLRs, and there's a new Depth Control feature.

austinmanniphonexs2.jpg

Depth Control is a new Portrait Mode option that lets you adjust the depth of field after you shoot, an impressive function that allows you to choose just the right amount of blur to bring out the subject of your photo. The Depth Control feature is available for both the front and rear-facing iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max cameras.

A bigger sensor with deeper, larger pixels lets in more light, which leads to better low-light photos, and sensor improvements paired with Smart HDR and no shutter lag result in sharper action shots.

austinmanniphonexs3.jpg

We'll get a better look at what the new cameras are capable of when iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max reviews hit later this week, and customers who pre-ordered the device will also be able to try it out when shipments start arriving this Friday.

The full range of images captured by Mann can be seen in high resolution via a Flickr album, which can be accessed here.

Article Link: Photographer Austin Mann Shares First Photos Captured With iPhone XS

rcooked

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2015
I’m no expert, but welcome the ability to shift the background blur. Looking forward to my early October Max delivery.

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
I love that we can see what's in the shadow of the Tortoise in the bright sunlight. The auto HDR is one of the things that gives that to us. Not to many years ago the shadow areas would just be black with the rest of the image adjusted for the bright sunlight.

TL24

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2011
A lot of noise reduction in these shots!

That's been an issue with iPhones forever now, I simply don't understand the need for such heavy NR. A little grain in the picture isn't a bad thing, give me some grains + sharpness over this horrible NR any day! This is why I only shoot RAW when the picture I'm taking really matters for quality and flexibility.

diamornte

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2009
Can a photo expert tell me why these are great? They don’t “look” exceptional to me, but I’m just a civilian.
I work as an editor (film & tv) - The details in the highlights like the sun are more apparent, while at the same time showing details in the shadows that normally would not appear because the sun would blow out the shot's exposure etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.