Australia's Commonwealth Bank Now Supports Apple Pay

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 22, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Commonwealth Bank (CBA) today implemented support for Apple Pay, making it the second of Australia's "Big Four" banks to offer the payments service. CBA is the biggest retail bank in Australia and was a notable Apple Pay holdout.

Multiple MacRumors readers in Australia have reported being able to add their Commonwealth Bank cards to Apple Pay, and Commonwealth Bank is listed as a partner on Apple's Apple Pay site in Australia.

[​IMG]

Commonwealth Bank first announced plans to support Apple Pay last month, giving in to consumer demand after a years-long dispute with Apple over fees and access to the NFC chips in iPhones.

When announcing Apple Pay support, Commonwealth Bank Group Executive of Retail Banking services Angus Sullivan said that the bank had heard many requests from customers asking for Apple Pay, leading to its implementation.
    Commonwealth Bank, along with NAB and Westpac, tried to collectively bargain with Apple to attempt to force Apple to open up the iPhone's NFC capabilities to support other digital wallets, like those offered by the banks themselves.

Apple said that this would be harmful to consumers and would stifle innovation, a position that Australian regulators agreed with when denying the banks authorization for collective bargaining.

ANZ was the only one of the four major banks in Australia to support Apple Pay when it launched in the country in April 2016. Other smaller banks later implemented support, but Commonwealth, NAB, and Westpac continued to hold out amid negotiations.

It's not clear if NAB and Westpac will implement support now that Commonwealth Bank has done so.

Bankwest in Australia is also now supporting Apple Pay, along with ASB Bank Limited in New Zealand and Bank of America Merrill Lynch in Canada. Multiple smaller banks in the U.S. have implemented Apple Pay support as well, with a full list available on Apple's website.

Article Link: Australia's Commonwealth Bank Now Supports Apple Pay

2. domneedscoffee macrumors newbie

domneedscoffee

Can't believe it's nearly 3 years already since I moved to ANZ...

3. desmond2046 macrumors regular

desmond2046

Ironically, Apple Pay is much more widely supported in Australia than in the US, especially for small businesses, because most of the POS machines in Australia already support tap-and-pay.

4. tonyduffe macrumors newbie

tonyduffe

Just in case the author of this article is not aware Bankwest and ASB Bank is owned by the Commonwealth Bank.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 22, 2019 ---
    To add to this Visa and Mastercard have also publicly stated that contactless payments acceptance is the highest in Australia than any other country.

5. Lozza013 macrumors member

Lozza013

Well well well Westpac and NAB are you going to continue to be incredibly stupid and refuse Apple Pay or are you going to swallow your pride and finally allow it but as a former Westpac customer, even if you allow it, I'm not changing back from ING as it offered better interest than what you were offering. Not to mention my local Westpac branch had terrible customer service.

6. bLackjackj macrumors member

Judging by their share price, they haven't missed you, Lol
    "Incredibly stupid"? Have you seen their net worth!! You would dream to be that "incredibly stupid"!
    ALL the POS terminals support Apple Pay, even the mom & pop suburban milk bars.

7. Glasgowuk macrumors newbie

Glasgowuk

Westpac have lost 30% of their market cap over the last two years and is being investigated by the government for bad practice. Nope, I don’t think they are that great

8. Juiceboy macrumors member

Australia had tap and go for years. It's incredible popular here. Most people don't even carry cash ever.
    Vending machines, sushi joints everywhere accept contactless payments so apple pay is available everywhere. It's baffling that places like "wall-mart" or what ever the american stores are called don't accept apple pay for some observed reason.

What ever retailer has a POS terminal from the last 10 years that accept contactless, accepts apple pay by default.

9. tonyduffe macrumors newbie

tonyduffe

Yeah you're more likely to encounter a merchant that hasn't got card facilities than one that doesn't support contactless payment.

For the most part that's correct but a lot of them don't like American Express and may not support that. But if your card is eftpos, Visa and Mastercard. You're pretty much golden here in Australia.

I have entirely relied on Apple Pay as a sole payment method for 2+ years no physical payment cards here.

10. AshGuy macrumors newbie

AshGuy

This is at least partially due to the great investment by our banks in this technology. While I love Apple Pay, I can also appreciate that the banks were working on and investing heavily in this tech quite a long time before apple jumped on the bandwagon, which is why they don’t want to give up their own IP and market share to Apple... they lose out quite significantly.

Unfortunately for them they don’t own the devices that people use to perform all their transactions so they could never make as seamless an experience as apple can.

11. tmiw macrumors 68000

The US has some of the highest interchange fees in the Western world so it's no surprise that stores here are extremely hesitant to encourage card use any more than it currently is. A lot of the other quirks of the payment system here start making sense considering that (terminals that are much slower than most other places, limits on check splitting at restaurants, etc.), not to mention the constant lawsuits against Visa/MC and the continued push for payment apps/solutions that avoid those networks altogether.

Anyway, if things had gone a bit differently I can totally see us being more like Germany or Japan in that cash is used for basically everything. That's something for another thread though.

12. tonyduffe macrumors newbie

tonyduffe

The forces made by the government to move things to more secure solutions

What Technology and what IP, out of curiosity did the banks lose out on? Most of it was developed by other companies and was just used by the banks.

Only cost to them has been implementing those technologies developed by others into their own infrastructure and rolling out to some extent but they were going to have to do this in most situations anyway due to government regulation.

With Apple Pay give up a small cut of interchange which is a lot less than what is rumoured to be requested everywhere else in the world because our government heavily regulates Interchange fees which means there isn't much of a cut for Apple to take.

13. bLackjackj macrumors member

Westpac's market cap is 88B,..I don't think they are sheding any tears, Lol

14. martyjmclean macrumors 6502

martyjmclean

I moved to ANZ two years ago for Apple Play and lower fees, but I do miss being with CommBank.
    Contactless has been standard here for 15 years, it was a culture shock when I visited the US and everybody used cash lol.

15. mauriziocorso77 macrumors member

Does anyone know what the payment limit is? Could I theoretically purchase a $10,000 item with Apple Pay?

16. sinsin07, Jan 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2019

sinsin07 macrumors 68040

Get real
    You're seriously trying to compare the Australia, with a population of what, 25 million to the US's 325 million?
    You could dump the entire population of Australia into four or five mid western states and you be hard press to find your cousin.

If Australia was state, it wouldn't even be the largest state by population, California has more people.

There is no irony here.

Only a much larger economy with a scale you failed to take into account.

Here is some background into US challenges:

UK’s Lessons For US Mobile Payments Adoption
    Here's an excerpt:

NOW FOR THE “BUT”

OK, you say, so all we need to do now is hustle up and get contactless POS terminals out there in massive force.

If it were only that easy.

In the U.S., there simply aren’t the same dynamics in play.

Two million contactless terminals today sounds like a great start — until you do the math. There are something like 13 million POS terminals across a massive geography that is the United States, not including mPOS devices.

The U.S. is also a market in which there are 1.2 billion payments cards in circulation, more than 47 billion debit card transactions, more than 26 billion credit card transactions and 209 million adults over the age of 18.

Oh, and something like 14k financial institutions that issue those cards and countless merchant acquirers and ISOs all hawking merchants to deploy new terminals.

It’s a whole lot harder to wrangle this ecosystem to the ground given the diversity of merchants and the engrained plastic card habits honed by consumers over the last 50 or so years.

17. tonyduffe macrumors newbie

tonyduffe

The limit is whatever set on your card by your financial institution so if you have a card limit of $10,000 you could go nuts and if your financial institution and the merchant supports CDCVM you may not even get asked for a card PIN for this transaction.

18. JoshBoy macrumors 6502

JoshBoy

All banks in Australia have lost market cap mainly due to regulation and capital requirements. They still are a dividend play like always, not a growth play.

Westpac still is the second largest by market cap in the country.

To lastly state they are getting investigated for bad practices is fake news. There is a royal commission taking place and from my view Westpac have come through far better than any of the other majors and the only major to retain their wealth arm of the big four.
    I do love how much room we have to swing a cat (the one size is basically the same as the entire US) oh and we tend not to shoot each other too much.

Attached Files:

19. AussieAdam26 macrumors newbie

Speaking to my local cafe owner the other day, he said at least 90% of his transactions are now contactless. RIP cash.

20. sinsin07, Jan 22, 2019

sinsin07 macrumors 68040

Swing cats? Nice deflection, however irrelevant.
    Incidentally, plenty of room in the US to swing cats if that's your thing.
    By the way nice pic, which is also irrelevant.
    Another deflection.
    You're on a roll.

21. JoshBoy macrumors 6502

JoshBoy

Point did not pass me by, I just cringe when I read statements from Americans that feel they are the biggest and best in the world. Whilst we may only have circa $25m I say quality over quantity.

The other persons post you were attacking was just making the point that as a nation we have adopted to tech in this space far better than other locations. The same thing happened where we moved to 3G phones back in about 2000/2001 when the US were still trying to adopt Edge.

22. bLackjackj macrumors member

I would assume that’s normal, I can’t believe you even asked.
    You will get asked for a pin if over $100.
    You miss a bank? Lol what on earth could you miss from an institution that screws over customers with high mortgage & credit card fees??

23. davidec macrumors regular

Silly CBA. If you can’t beat em, join em. Only problem is your a few thousand customers short. How long Westpac and NAB?

24. tonyduffe macrumors newbie

tonyduffe

As I mentioned in that reply you've quoted you may not be asked for a PIN.

As I mentioned if the financial institution you're with and the merchant supports CDCVM (Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method) you will not be asked for a PIN on a transaction over $100 in Australia.

25. Lozza013, Jan 22, 2019

Lozza013 macrumors member

Lozza013

Knowing NAB and Westpac they will come out with their usual spin as they have done on their Facebook pages saying they are open to Apple Pay. Eventually they will cave in because they don't want to look stupid. Shouldn't be too much longer IMO.

EDIT: I discovered this on NAB's FB in response to a customer: I know you’re looking for Apple Pay. We’ll be keeping everyone updated and when we have more to say about Apple Pay we’ll let you know. NAB will be the next bank to cave in.