Authorizing/deauthorizing computers and moving iTunes movies to new computers

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by txinternational, Jun 27, 2012.

1. txinternational macrumors newbie

I've done a bunch of searching here and on the Apple site and have found a bunch of info that's already answered many of my questions on iTunes authorizing/deauthorizing. However, I still have a few things I want to double check with someone who has had experience with iTunes movies.

I haven't bought movies through iTunes and am considering moving to buying most of my movies through iTunes since I have to move every few years and travel frequently for work.

My understanding, from the searching I've done here, on Apple's website, and in general lead me to believe the following: You can only authorize 5 computers at any one time. As you upgrade computers, you can deauthorize old computers and authorize new ones to stay at 5 or fewer computers. When you buy a new mac, you can move your movies purchased through iTunes provided that you authorize the new computer and haven't exceeded your 5 device limit, yes?

I have no problem staying at or below 5 devices at any one time, but I want to make sure that I'm not going to have to re-buy all the movies I buy after 10-15 years, when I've gone through a few more computers and have already maybe had 5 computers I wanted to put things on, though not at the same time.

I also understand that iPhones, iPads, and Apple TVs do not count against the 5 device limit, correct?

Am I on the right track or am I wrong in some of my conclusions?

Thanks!

2. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

No problem at all. Of course nobody knows what will be in ten to fifteen years, but the iTunes store should still be in business :D

Sometimes you can't deauthorise a computer - if it is broken, or stolen. When that happens it is possible to deauthorise _all_ computers together, then all you have to do is authorise each computer again as you use it.

3. txinternational thread starter macrumors newbie