Auto-Brightness not working

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CosmoPilot, Sep 21, 2012.

1. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Wirelessly posted

After I updated my 4S to iOS 6.0, auto bright stopped working. Now I've noticed it on my new iP5. Auto-Brightness is definitely not working. Anyone else have this problem?

2. warehouse40 macrumors member

My 4S seemed to have issues working correctly.

My new 5 doesn't seem to work at all.

3. drb1992 macrumors 6502

drb1992

Ya mine isn't working on my iP5 either. It's probably just a software issue, so it should be fixed soon, hopefully.

4. iregret macrumors 6502

If you haven't done so try resetting the phone.

5. madmonkeys macrumors member

I noticed this today too on my iPhone 5 auto brightness is not working at al

6. meganator macrumors member

Come to think of it I've never noticed any difference when auto-brightness was on. I don't actually think it's ever worked for me.

7. leo8877 macrumors member

Unfortunately it works differently now. Set it low and turn on auto brightness and then go stand in bright light facing your phone. You'll see it gradually increase. No longer does it jump quickly up/down depending on the ambient light. Seems to me that the old method was much better.

8. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

Not working on my iPhone 5 either. Def worked on my 4S. Ughhh.

9. filman408 macrumors regular

Take a gander:
    Brightness and wallpaper hasn’t changed (with the addition of a few new wallpapers), but iOS 6 fundamentally changes the functionality and curves for auto brightness. Brightness now seems to be more of a log scale, and the slider seems to set a lower bound rather than a window for the auto brightness function. Where previously I would set brightness to around 50%, I now set it on iOS 6 to around 10% to get similar behavior. There’s a much longer hysteresis for change as well, and though this was initially disconcerting for me, I’ve found less blinding happening with iOS 6 than past releases.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6302/apple-ios-6-review-maps-investigated-and-more/12

10. CosmoPilot thread starter macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

No dude, it's not functioning! anandtechs was probably broken too and wrote that jibberish!

11. GeorgieAcevedo, Sep 22, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2012

GeorgieAcevedo macrumors 6502a

GeorgieAcevedo

It does work guys. But it's different from the past! Now it has the ability to dim when going back to dark area from bright area. Test it like this. Turn auto brightness on. Go a dark room and then put a flashlight on the sensor and watch the brightness go up.

12. CosmoPilot thread starter macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

I'm so glad you're an expert on my iPhone and can make such absolute statements!

Your test proves you wrong!

13. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

Actually, no, I tried it and he is correct but the adjustment is very VERY slow. I almost thought it wasn't working but then noticed the brightness slider was actually slowly moving up. Yes, the slider actually moves now as it auto adjust the brightness.

14. GeorgieAcevedo, Sep 22, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2012

GeorgieAcevedo macrumors 6502a

GeorgieAcevedo

Thank you for making him look like a fool after his smart response when I was just trying to help.

15. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

iPhone 5 here and yes...this works perfectly. The sensor goes up quite quickly when it low and you are in a dark room and shine the flashlight. When you take the flashlight away....it slowly goes back down.

-Kevin

16. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Small correction.

17. brinycbri macrumors 6502a

if you manually set the brightness to let's say really high, the highest. it'll keep it there and auto brightness just turns off

18. CosmoPilot thread starter macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Wirelessly posted

I've tried your tests and sat in a dark room for 30 mins.

With auto bright "on". After 30 mins of it still being WAY bright, I turned auto bright "OFF". Guess what? NO CHANGE!!!

It is not working on my phone. I'm happy it is working on yours, but don't tell me if something is working on MY device when I say it's not!

My OP was simply to ask if anyone else's is broke as well.

In a dark room, auto bright should dim the screen after 30 minutes. It's not doing that one bit.

19. raf66 macrumors regular

Yep, it worked for me too. You have to set the slider down to really low, then go from a dark room to a much lighter area. You can then watch the slider auto adjust. Thanks for the tips.

20. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

I am noticing that normal usage with Auto brightness is barely noticeable with the iPhone 5.

You need to try this to see if the actual sensor isn't working:

Set the iPhone to a low brightness but not all the way down.
    Make sure auto brightness is on.
    Go into a darkened room with a flashlight.
    Shine the flashlight directly on the front of the phone.

If the slider doesn't go up immediately....then yes, your phone is broken.

You should notice that after you turn off the flashlight....the brightness will slowly return down.

-Kevin

21. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Same here.

Since I've had three distinct problems with hardware & software on this iPhone 5, I've come to the conclusion it's best to re-frame how I view Apple. In this new mass produced, ultra high volume era, it's unfair to expect Apple to deliver what they advertise, as such superior products.

By thinking of them as more of an average mass market retailer, focused primarily on profits & grabbing market share, suddenly the scratches & software bugs are not so disappointing.

Furthermore, we know they have an obsession with elevating their image & that of their products, to unobtainable heights.

So instead of expecting them to deliver & make good on their boastful claims, it's so much easier to collapse ones expectations. Now there's far less disappointment & unfulfilled claims. After all, it's not magical or revolutionary, it's just a phone.

In that light it's much easier to let Apple do whatever they do, without expectation. It allows them to continue to spend a good portion of their time & focus on the legal assaults they seem to enjoy.

At some point if they choose to focus solely on the marketplace, and compete fairly with the rest instead of having them banned from being sold, Apple will prevail & be far better off than today.

22. gforce216 macrumors 6502a

It's a bug in iOS 6. Same problem happened on my 4S last week with the GM build. Then this week with the 5.

In order to fix it I had to go to Reset All Settings.

Once I did that on both the 4S and 5 I never had the issue pop up again.

23. katmeef macrumors 6502

Sarcasm in your post aside, if apple's stuff wasn't so expensive compared to the average mass market retailer I could swallow that pill.

24. CosmoPilot thread starter macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

I don't expect every device out of millions produced to be flawless. In fact, this isn't a big deal to me. I was just curious if others had this problem. Other than this, I've found nothing wrong with my phone.

I'm sure it's a software bug because my 4S was broken as well when I upgraded to iOS6. The phone should definitely dim when going into a dark room. This morning when I woke up (complete darkness) it was like an alien invasion was going down when I turned on the screen!

25. terriyaki macrumors 6502a

Confirming what GeorgieAcevedo said.

The algorithm has changed. To fully understand how it works and to effectively set it up at a proper setting that works for you I suggest sitting in a dark area for a minute or two and setting the brightness slider all the way to the left and making sure that Auto Brightness is on. Then rapidly expose it to a bright light like a lamp and watch that it will shoot up to maximum brightness. bring it back to a dark area and it will slowly dim down and will most likely stop somewhere between 25% to 50%. Once it stops, and if the dark area you're in is dark enough it will shoot all the way back down to the leftmost side of the slider.

CosmoPilot you need to chill out. Whether yours is malfunctioning or not I'm pretty sure GeorgieAcevedo was just trying to help you out.