Auto brightness on or off

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jcorbin, Oct 21, 2016.

?

auto brightness on or off

1. On

56 vote(s)
    76.7%
  2. Off

17 vote(s)
    23.3%
  1. jcorbin macrumors 6502a

I always wrestle with turning auto brightness on or off. On the one hand it is so much easier. Set it and forget it. On the other I can't count the number of times I've accidentally touched he slider in the control center and had to recalibrate as a result.

So...on or off?

2. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

i usually leave in off during the day, and on at night.....i'm crazy like that!

3. QueenTyrone macrumors 6502a

QueenTyrone

My battery has been pretty bad with auto enabled but it's convenient

4. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Definitely "on".

When the ambient light sensor of my old iPhone 5S was not working, I went through so much trouble to get it fixed. It's still worth it.

5. Brookzy, Oct 21, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2016

Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

Note that the only way to get the iPhone 7 to full brightness (the 7 has a peak brightness 25% higher than the 6S) is to have auto brightness enabled. Without it, even with the slider all the way to the right, it only gets about as bright as the 6S. This is according to DisplayMate.

6. danny8200 macrumors 65816

danny8200

Personally I have mine off. I like dark screens. I keep the brightness slider almost all the way to the left too.

7. rodetrip macrumors regular

rodetrip

i leave mine on all the time. ill adjust it if i have to.. but i dont like dark screens, why waste this beautiful screen??

8. marzfreerider macrumors member

I have never turned auto brightness off on any of my phones.

9. deano1972 macrumors 6502a

deano1972

10. jonstatt1 macrumors regular

If you compare two phones with auto enabled they will be different in brightness even in the same conditions. This is due to display and sensor variances.

If you put auto on and then move the slider a bit so that in a certain light then brightness is to your preference then the phone remembers this as an offset to auto mode. This is very useful. I found my phone a bit too dim at most light levels so moved the slider a bit while auto is on. Now I find it correct in all lighting conditions.

11. Benz63amg macrumors 68020

Benz63amg

its a very needed feature and i have it on my iphone 7 plus, cant adjust the brightness constantly throughout the day

12. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

On. It's not difficult to adjust if the setting is to high during certain lighting.

13. Ipadlover29 macrumors 6502a

I only switch mine on when I leave the house.

14. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

This is THE reason to have auto brightness turned on. It's a lot better outdoors now, and the battery is good enough that you don't really notice it on the 7. I can be up from 6:30am to 2am the next day and not hit 20%. Actually did this yesterday and was at 23% at bedtime, and that's with a decent amount of use including taking some photos in LR Mobile and editing them to post, and using my flashlight a fair bit outside at a hayride. Freaking love this phone!

15. Henkna macrumors regular

16. doba87 macrumors newbie

On. If I need I adjust it from time to time by my self. BTW my ip7 is the first phone that I use with auto brightness and I wish I had done it soner on my old devices.

17. Dieego macrumors member

Always off and I just play with it from the control center depending on the light etc.

18. iArneezy macrumors member

iArneezy

Off. I'm on my phone at work a lot so it's always around 70% brightness and it kills my battery if I have auto on. I set mine to around 45% manually and leave it there throughout the day

19. MCube74 macrumors 6502a

Same here.. i have brightness set to 45% most off the time and auto brightness to off.

20. jgelin macrumors 6502a

jgelin

On, and it seems to remember when you adjust it and when the same conditions appear again it will go to the user adjusted setting.
    Easy enough to set from control center, since it does it on its own.

21. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

On. Auto has (almost) always worked just fine.

22. AppleWarrior macrumors member

AppleWarrior

How do you guys know what percentage (40%) you are putting it on? Mine doesn't show percentage. Are you just guessing?

23. SoN1NjA macrumors 68000

SoN1NjA

I used to say no, because it never worked and would only put 50% when in bright sun
    But now it's great

When I go outside, brightness increases and when I go back inside it dims down, amazing...
    --- Post Merged, Nov 17, 2016 ---
    Turn it off and turn it back on

24. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

I've been using smartphones since I got my first iPhone in 2008 and I never used auto brightness until earlier this year. I remember it not really working well in the early days so I always turned it off and never bothered trying it again until I got my Galaxy S7 Edge back in March. I'm not exactly sure what caused me to give it a chance again. Maybe I just constantly had issues with the screen being too bright or too dim. I don't even remember.

But it worked so well that I decided to give it another shot on all of my devices. Now I use auto brightness on both of my iPads and all of my phones. It works great and I never want to go back to constantly adjusting the slider manually.

25. SoN1NjA macrumors 68000

SoN1NjA

My story is the exact same as yours, auto brightness sucked on the 4s so I gave up on it until this year

I hate my iPod and Apple Watch how they don't auto change