auto forum search

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by squeeks, Oct 29, 2007.

1. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

so on AVS Forum, they are using VB 3.6.8 and when you type in a new thread title it does a quick search and displays every thread with a similar title, that would be a really useful feature here to cut down on so many repeat questions, what do y'all think?

2. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I like it.

Then again, this all depends on whether or not Arn can update at this time (or in the near future).

3. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

I've tested it out in the past. the big issue when I tried it is that it would pull threads from years ago (2003, 2004), which didn't really help.

I had asked if there was a way to just search recent threads, but I don't think that was an option.

arn

4. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Ahh that makes sense. Would it be possible to prevent it from searching the archives? I'm guessing that's where truly old threads head off to.

5. squeeks thread starter macrumors 68040

squeeks

yeah that wouldnt be much good if someone typed new macbooks and it give them threads form the past 4 updates lol

6. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

At least it wouldn't bring up any iBook threads... ;)

Yeah, I think this would be a handy feature as well, but only truly useful if, as arn says, it keys on relatively recent threads and not old ones from years ago which are most likely irrelevant to what the user is undoubtedly searching for.

7. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

if it could be limited to recent stuff that would be great - i saw it on another forum the other day, and was quite impressed by it.

i bet nobody here would notice it, however :rolleyes:

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Can there be an option to pick a time frame to search, sometimes I want to dig out an old thread and the search gives me the past few days.

I like the idea of an auto search if we can work the bugs out of it.