Autocorrect horrendous!

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by dontwalkhand, Dec 30, 2014.

1. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Is it just me or is autocorrect just plain bad now?

Payment = oaymenr
    Terminals = remibals
    The= rhe

What are the words it tried to correct to anyway? Of course I fixed these in the keyboard shortcuts app, but who uses a word like oaymenr anyway????

2. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Auto correct makes me laugh actually. Sometimes it recommends words in other languages. It's funny and a bit frustrating when you are trying to type very quickly

3. woodynorman macrumors 6502

I frequently text my wife the word "gate" to ask her to open my side gate to where I park my work truck when I get home. Only since IOS8 does the autocorrect change it to "hate" nearly every time. Frustrating!!

4. lyceumHQ, Dec 31, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2014

lyceumHQ macrumors 6502a

lyceumHQ

What really bugs me about autocorrect is it's supposed to be smart. It's supposed to learn your typing behaviour. It doesn't.

After 2 years it still changes 'vape' to Cape every single time. It still changes Dave to save every single time. Despite the fact I obviously use the former words a lot more than the latter words. I have in fact never, until this post used the word cape intentionally. And yet it still changes it every single time. And they're just two examples.

When you type a word and it changes it, you go back and again type the word you actually want and AC changes it again, because obviously typing it twice doesn't mean that's the word I want. So much for learning your specific typing style.

My favourite is my friends name, it's Gaenor, AC without fail changes it to haemorrhage. Because those two are so similar.

It's honestly the most pathetic part of iOS.

5. stiligFox macrumors 6502a

stiligFox

I agree it's terrible. A great many times I'll type two words - the first correctly and the second, and then it changes the first word. Or sometimes it'll change a word in the weirdest way possible, correcting some mundane word into some weird word I never knew existed. I thought it was supposed to be context aware?

6. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

7. PsyOpWarlord, Jan 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2015

PsyOpWarlord macrumors 6502

PsyOpWarlord

Have you tried using the Shortcuts to set words that are important to you? This helps some people in keeping it from changing those words.
    Settings > General > Keyboard > Shortcuts

IMG_0082.PNG

IMG_0083.PNG

8. Zxxv macrumors 68040

Google always knows what I'm asking and typing. Just saying.

9. Mildredop macrumors 68020

It's one of the main reasons I left iOS. I found Auto Correct so counter-intuitive. The way the word iOS wanted to correct to had to be cancelled rather than accepted made typing very slow and, I agree, the suggestions were ridiculous.

But now Apple have opened-up the keyboard to third parties, haven't they? I find both Google Keyboard and Swype to be excellent if Apple allows you to download them.

10. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

Swipe is available here but not Google Keyboard. That is google's fault though

I personally use an iOS exclusive keyboard called nintype which absolutely destroys any keyboard iOS OR Android. Its that good.

----------

So my question to you is why don't you use a different keyboard then? so many great options.

11. Mildredop macrumors 68020

Are you asking me or the OP?

12. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

The first part was addressed to you but the second one is for the OP.

13. kolax macrumors G3

Since iOS 7, autocorrect really has been horrendous. It'll sometimes change a word that's three words before, so when I hit send, I look like a moron. Other times it'll change a word, so I go back and change it, then it'll change it again! It used to help me a lot, but lately I'm finding it's more of a PITA.

14. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

You must be the slowest typer in the world right now. With auto correct turned off its almost impossible to type at any normal speed.

15. Mildredop macrumors 68020

It really makes me wonder if the people at Apple actually use iPhones. Surely they're as annoyed with it as everyone else?

16. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

I could imagine your wife's reaction to an "hate" sms :D

17. vexorg macrumors 6502a

OSX isn't much better. I've switched it off for emails on OSX and it would change words on the fly without highlighting them.

It's not difficult, MS Word has been doing it well for many years. What I find infuriating with IOS is that stopping the autocorrect usually ends up with it putting the wrong word in. I never had this problem with the 4S, only since moving to the 5S, I think the screen selection/detection is not as good as the 4S.

18. Q-Dog macrumors 6502

Q-Dog

It would benefit a great many people to slow down a bit and actually think about what they are saying before they hit the send button.

19. bushido Suspended

bushido

I have it turned off too. Haven't had a need for autocorrect since the old physical Nokia keyboard days. By the time I get an actual suggestion I am done writing it lol. I am just faster typing everything out by myself instead of going back and correcting every other word constantly.

It's (autocorrect) sad (autocorrect) I type fatter (autocorrect) than on my macbook. Lol screw that

20. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I type like a bumbling idiot with auto correct turned off.

21. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

So do I. That's the only way I can be fast.

22. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I have never used auto-correct or any other kind of spellcheck on my devices. Every word is typed in full and I'm very quick.

23. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

It's slower when i have to go back and correct auto-correct.

24. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Writing in English, that's not my primary language, Swype and Auto correction comes in handy

25. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I can understand that. I do correct words often but overall I type faster with autocorrect on.