Autocorrect iOS5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kubus, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Kubus macrumors regular

I am under the impression something has changed in the way autocorrect works in iOS5. I have been using the iPhone since the original one way back when so autocorrect has become incredibly familiar and I am mostly able to write very sensical things. As soon as iOS5 came out I have had an astonishing number of very awkward messages with people.

Some recent examples from the last two days:

This was to a cop offering me a place to stay if I can't DRIVE after going out
    [​IMG]

To my gf regarding TAPING the ceiling for painting the kitchen
    [​IMG]

To a friend while I was TUTORING Adam
    [​IMG]

Has someone at Apple played a sick joke on the autocorrect? The drifting isn't too bad but the fact that I sent it to a cop makes it more awkward

2. mrochester macrumors 68000

3. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

To me it seems much more stringent with trying to predict the letter it thinks you are trying to hit so it is almost impossible to hit the letter you actually want at times. I'm usually an extremely fast typer on the iPhone but have had to really slow down and check what it interprets I'm typing as I do so but things like that are expected for a beta and the downside of using my main phone for development.

4. Kubus thread starter macrumors regular

You're right. I noticed this too. Forcing a letter you want is sometimes so difficult. I use three languages regularly for typing on my iPhone with English being the primary one. Sometimes I wish to type a French word quickly without swapping keyboards and I am unable to select letters I want no matter how hard I try to hit that letter. Its like that letter is disabled based on the letters I've already typed.

I know this behaviour existed before but never to this extent. The only mistakes I used to have were adding space and b after my texts because I was trying to hit the spacebar twice to get a period.

5. vultureboy macrumors member

vultureboy

I really struggled with auto correct in Beta 1, but the latest beta update seems to have taken things back to how they were in iOS4.

6. Kubus thread starter macrumors regular

It allows you to actually hit the [x] to keep what you've typed which is nice but its still being difficult.

7. shandyman Suspended

well since going to iOS5 beta, everyone will have had to start from fresh, so autocorrect from previous iOS will have been wiped and it's learning from you from scratch, that's probably why.

8. Kubus thread starter macrumors regular

Still the autocorrect should have selected tape as opposed to rape. How common is writing about rape?

9. jap1198 macrumors 6502

Even if you restored from backup?

The auto-correct right in b2 is killing me.

10. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

11. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

Haha made me smile big time, especially the last one. :D

12. Kubus thread starter macrumors regular

Coming up with RAPE out of nowhere twice now is a bit ridiculous. Especially out of this word

[​IMG]

Someone at Apple must be having a lark

13. shandyman Suspended

It's beta, just a glitch. Now if it does it in official release then you've got a valid issue.

14. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I felt the same way with iOS 5. I feel like they screwed up the autocorrect, but it might just be a glitch. or it might not be :eek:

15. sbddude macrumors 6502a

16. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

17. Kubus thread starter macrumors regular

Expand on that. I'm actually curious where your premise for that argument lies.

18. Aduntu macrumors 6502a

Aduntu

Proofread messages before sending. Problem solved.

Oh, and damnyouautocorrect.com

19. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

20. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

You have an overly apologetic, not confident tone, beginning with the first message.

21. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

You can also just turn autocorrect off in the keyboard settings without installing anything. But where's the fun in that? :p

Kinky.

22. AreYouIn?, Jun 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2011

AreYouIn? macrumors 6502a

AreYouIn?

Half of the time with my 3GS I've already hit the send button by the time word auto changes itself. I have a love hate relationship with iOS autocorrect. When I attempt to take notes in class with my iPad I spend** half the time changing things back to what I had typed originally. Reading before you send doesn't solve all the problems. Especially not for someone who types fast coming from a blackberry (that just worked).

23. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

Hey, you edited your message to include the link I'd already posted directly after you! Quit sneakily making my posts redundant you evil swine! :p

24. Kubus thread starter macrumors regular

My message was blue... Not grey... She apologized for not taping the kitchen and leaving work for me.

25. Aduntu macrumors 6502a

Aduntu

You'll never be able to prove that!!!