Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Stephen Fry has been posting video and images from his brand new iPad this evening, but one set of images has been particularly revealing. Fry posted a screenshot from the app revealing that Autodesk SketchBook Pro is already available for the iPad:

231010-sketch_500.jpg

Autodesk does currently have a mobile version of their Sketchbook App for iPhone and iPod Touch, but a Pro version taking advantage of the iPad's larger screen is intriguing.

Meanwhile, MGS Development has posted images revealing their upcoming sheet music app for the iPad called forScore:

232103-forscore.jpg

ForScore will come with over 1300 pages of score, from 18 world-renowned composers, and almost 300 different pieces. The app will include the ability to make notes to yourself as well as a visual metronome. No word on pricing.

Article Link: Autodesk Sketchbook Pro and forScore Sheet Music App Coming for iPad

zarusoba

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2006
Australia
SketchBook Pro is great but you still have to draw with either your finger or a sausage stylus like the Pogo, which is a functional but inelegant workaround.

Comment

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
I almost wonder if the iPhone/iPod eco-system was just the beginning of apps. Looking at what I have seen/know so far the larger and/or more professional companies seem to be making a splash with the iPad. At least it seems that way.

Comment

alphaod

Contributor
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I quite interested in Sketchbook, but even more interested in the Sheet Music app.

Hopefully this will encourage will to start playing some music again. :p

Comment

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
I'm not a musician, but the idea of using the iPad for sheet music makes me wish I was. It's really great seeing developers make apps that really benefit from the bigger screen. I don't want the iPad app store to be full of straight ports of iPhone apps, because the bigger screen really makes it capable of doing things that the iPhone just can't quite muster.

Comment

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
Pay no attention to these apps. As we all know, having been faithfully informed on these forums, the iPad is merely a giant iPhone and thus of no interest.

Comment

Super20

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2004
Council Bluffs, IA
Being a semi-professional musician and a band director, forScore looks completely awesome. Especially with the future of the program including the ability to upload your own pdf's of scores. HOWEVER....something very similar to this already exists. Freehand Music has this Music Pad thing. It's a whole device that looks similar to the iPad. I know this isn't the only thing the iPad is for, but as a music ed person, this has lots of possibilities.

Comment

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Pay no attention to these apps. As we all know, having been faithfully informed on these forums, the iPad is merely a giant iPhone and thus of no interest.

Insert sarcasm? Troll?

This is just the beginning...I can't wait for developers to get their hands on the device and really start innovating!

Comment

SirOmega

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2006
Las Vegas
The Sketchbook pro demo was on twit.tv earlier. It looked good, considering the limitations of the device (you have to use your finger and its not pressure sensitive).

Comment

pimentoLoaf

Contributor
Dec 30, 2001
The SimCity Deli
All the critics (and the bozos who complained about the iPad name) will be eating their words over the next few weeks and months.

And wanting an iPad of their own. :p

Love the ForScore program. I could use that.

Comment

2contagious

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2008
UK
SketchBook Pro is great but you still have to draw with either your finger or a sausage stylus like the Pogo, which is a functional but inelegant workaround.

The Sketchbook pro demo was on twit.tv earlier. It looked good, considering the limitations of the device (you have to use your finger and its not pressure sensitive).

It's possible to pair Bluetooth devices with the iPad (such as Apple's Wireless Keyboard). Autodesk should work on a bluetooth stylus for the iPad version of SketchBook Pro. The multitouch screen could be used for the positioning and the stylus could take care of pressure detection and send it to the iPad via bluetooth. This combination would be a huge @ss kick for Wacom (especially for the expensive Cintiq products).

Comment

Nykwil

macrumors 65816
Nov 5, 2002
Boston, MA
fear not everyone, haters will have you believe that the ipad is merely a content consumption device. do not let these content creation apps fool you. move along now and get back to gizmodo and engadget so you can troll the comments sections on all the iPad articles

Comment

Nausicaa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
Wow. I was just using SketchBook mobile on my iPhone, and was dreaming of how nice it would be on the iPad screen. I scour the internet and find nothing, then come here before logging off and it's the top story!

Needless to say, I'm very exited. This and Brushes alone make the iPad worth it to me. Pogo Sketch is requisite, however. Sure, it's not pressure sensitive, but the benefits of being able to draw directly on the screen more than offset that downside. Especially with software as well designed as these two apps, pressure sensitivity isn't so important.

Comment

macdoofus

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2009
The forScore app would be highly useful to me but according their FAQ Apple is not currently allowing me to add my own scores. forScore is hopefull they will. I will buy an iPad when Apple allows this user freedom. Otherwise, looks great!

Comment

jrichie

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2003
Aus
All I can say is COOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLL

Sketchbook pro is the killer app for me. I am 100% convinced to get an ipad now......

All that is really needed is a really good capacitive stylus and I will be a happy boy.

So when is the NZ launch.... I hate waiting.

Comment

ventro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2006
It's possible to pair Bluetooth devices with the iPad (such as Apple's Wireless Keyboard). Autodesk should work on a bluetooth stylus for the iPad version of SketchBook Pro. The multitouch screen could be used for the positioning and the stylus could take care of pressure detection and send it to the iPad via bluetooth. This combination would be a huge @ss kick for Wacom (especially for the expensive Cintiq products).
This is a genius idea.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.