Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zarusoba

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2006
Australia
It's possible to pair Bluetooth devices with the iPad (such as Apple's Wireless Keyboard). Autodesk should work on a bluetooth stylus for the iPad version of SketchBook Pro. The multitouch screen could be used for the positioning and the stylus could take care of pressure detection and send it to the iPad via bluetooth. This combination would be a huge @ss kick for Wacom (especially for the expensive Cintiq products).

Sounds like a great idea. Does this mean that the stylus could have a fine tip?

Yelmurc

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2008
Houston TX
I was planning on waiting a few months to see what type of apps come out but from this article alone I'm really thinking about ordering one tonight. A sheet music app was on my wish list and I already love my autodesk app on my iphone.

andrew12

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2009
forScore

ok... as a musician and teacher, this is a dream come true! You expect me to sleep now?

Just add a tuner (a la ClearTune app, which is extraordinary) in addition to the existing metronome, half-page turns (like the MusicPad from the soon-to-be defunct FreeHand Music) and the forScore developers can retire rich and adored by millions - performers, students, teachers, amateurs, concert-goers...

Talk of a complete game-changer: play Sibelius files in the browser with Scorch or read along your own music PDFs...

Looking forward to accessory producers coming up with a designated stand...

forScore + imslp.org FTW!

md4peace

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2007
I'm thirsty!

So, will forScore turn the pages automatically for me? or do I have to give it a little brush of the page like the eBooks? HAve to put Velcro on the back to keep it in place.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I'm not a musician, but the idea of using the iPad for sheet music makes me wish I was. ...

I saw this and said "that is something I might buy" and then thought fr two more seconds I said. "how is this different than a simpe PDF file viewer? Well it's not. If the iPad can read PDF files then it can already display music or anything else.

I read the forScore FAQ. And yes that s all it does. It come preloaded with 1,300 pages and you can't add your own. Pointless.

Ingot

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2010
Being a semi-professional musician and a band director, forScore looks completely awesome. Especially with the future of the program including the ability to upload your own pdf's of scores. HOWEVER....something very similar to this already exists. Freehand Music has this Music Pad thing. It's a whole device that looks similar to the iPad. I know this isn't the only thing the iPad is for, but as a music ed person, this has lots of possibilities.

I too am in the music ed business as is my entire family. I now no longer have to justify buying an iPad anymore. This app just did it for me. Yeehaaaa!!!!!

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
Oh, dear!

Stephen Fry... that pretentious snob with that 'general knowledge' quiz, filled with useless facts about animals' sex life... one of the first hundred thousand to use Twitter and for some reason associated with it ever since...

IS HE NOW A SELF-APPOINTED TECH JOURNALIST?!

This is a sad day for technology and Apple.

EDIT: He might be watching Apple, but his nose is smelling Microsoft. OR: His face might look Microsoft, but the nose is in Steve Jobs' ....

Attachments

• Fry_071128103104906_wideweb__300x375,1.jpg
    Fry_071128103104906_wideweb__300x375,1.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 129

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Stephen Fry... that pretentious snob with that 'general knowledge' quiz, filled with useless facts about animals' sex life... one of the first hundred thousand to use Twitter and for some reason associated with it ever since...

IS HE NOW A SELF-APPOINTED TECH JOURNALIST?!

This is a sad day for technology and Apple.
Hi kernkraft!

The typical iPad user isn't going to be a techie. It's perfectly fine having a journalist with a broader audience review what is basically a consumer-level media device.

As for it being a sad day, AAPL shareholders will probably wake up tomorrow and not be terribly upset.

I hope you are having a good day. Mine is great.

Cheers,

CV

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I cannot even express how excited I am for Sketchbook Pro. This is the #1 app that I wanted on my iPhone. So is this saying that it will be available for launch? I can't wait! That's it, I'm going to order a Pogo Stylus to draw with. I hate stylus, but for drawing, its pretty helpful.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
The forScore app would be highly useful to me but according their FAQ Apple is not currently allowing me to add my own scores. forScore is hopefull they will. I will buy an iPad when Apple allows this user freedom. Otherwise, looks great!

That is not really what it says.

It says:

Q: Can you use your own files?
A: Theoretically, yes. The code and the hooks are all there, but Apple hasn’t said much quite yet that can be confirmed. So for the moment you should assume that you cannot.

jviphone

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2008
First Wacom revolutionized the tablet with pressure sensitive drawing tablets back in the late 90's.

2009 - Wacom introduces intuos 4 with tilt pen sensitivity and over 2000 levels of pressure sensitivity.

2010 - Apple gives us the ipad and introduces us back to finger painting.

Any real artists out there check out axiotron's modbook, this is what apple should have done with the ipad, especially for artists which at one time were the heart of the mac user base. I can see wacom working feverlishly on an ipad compatible pressure sensitivity pen for the next "pressure sensitive" ipadpro. Can't you see it coming.

jviphone

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2008
Sounds like a great idea. Does this mean that the stylus could have a fine tip?

No way could this happen the wacom pressure sensitivity is build into a pad under the glass like in the cintiq, they would have to work with apple to get this to work right, if you look at the modbook, thats exactly what they did. The touch screens in the ipads arent designed for the pin point accuracy as the digitizers are in the wacom tablets, autodesk doesnt know about tablet or pen creation they make the software. I see a later edition of the ipad coming with a stylus its all that its missing for true artists, that and pressure sensitivity and they could crush wacom's base, maybe apple will buy them?

bludodge

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2010
No way could this happen the wacom pressure sensitivity is build into a pad under the glass like in the cintiq, they would have to work with apple to get this to work right, if you look at the modbook, thats exactly what they did. The touch screens in the ipads arent designed for the pin point accuracy as the digitizers are in the wacom tablets, autodesk doesnt know about tablet or pen creation they make the software. I see a later edition of the ipad coming with a stylus its all that its missing for true artists, that and pressure sensitivity and they could crush wacom's base, maybe apple will buy them?

with the money they will make off the iPad...ha

Zc456

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2008
2010 - Apple gives us the ipad and introduces us back to finger painting.

While I get your point I must point out...

Finger painting.
2867499060102237573s425.jpg

Finger painting? (using Brushes)
hadalittlenipatlunch.png

I guess Apple just revolutionized, well, finger painting.

jayemm999

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2010
Mr Fry has a calendar - have you checked yours?

If you look at Stephen's original page, it's dated April 1st (the UK's ahead of es-time).

Given his profession, I think it'll be a while before any of these apps appear!:)

ThirteenXIII

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2008
itd be great to pair wireless devices such as magic mouse using some applications.

itd begreat to have a dreamweaver/photoshop app to edit graphics for a website, then id have a reason to consider consolidating some of my macbooks.

the device definitely looks promising.

jaison13

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2003
pittsburgh
this is killing me!! i told myself i would wait for 2nd gen ipad, which is crazy since i was 1st gen for just about every other apple thing. i'm gonna have to stop looking at this and every other apple site!!! these program look so cool. i have to keep telling myself, but there is no camera, but there is no camera. over and over!

DrumApple

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2009
Funny, I remember when I was in high school I imagined a futuristic orchestra playing not from paper sheet-music but from a digital pad/screen, it seems Apple has made my vision come true.

However, for me, I think a guitar tab app would be more useful :)

BTW

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2007
Autodesk is the one company I hold out hope for Apple to purchase and make all their wares Mac-only. I love their products but for years Autodesk ignored the Mac platform and pretty much still does. There's a few of their apps that run on the Mac but there's no reason why all of their apps could not be ported over.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.