Autographed Steve Jobs 1st sold iPad 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Jnava420, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Jnava420, Mar 30, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2012

Jnava420 macrumors regular

2. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

3. WalledMacGarden macrumors regular

I really like this part in the description:D

"I purchased this item at auction here on ebay from someone who picked it up at a pawn shop in Palo Alto California. Pawn shop info is written on the back of the box."

4. harry454 macrumors 6502

Might be real...look at this feedback of other items he's sold all autographed

5. andothfc macrumors regular

It couldn't be a more obvious fake. I mean. the whole thing is ridiculous.

Look at the engraving for starters - why is 'First' capitalised? Why is there no space between iPad and 2? Why would such a thing end up in a pawn shop?

Not even worth considering, it's a pretty distasteful fake.

6. Acathla macrumors newbie

Knowing the people on this forum, somebody would buy it and then try to return it because they were convinced it had yellow tint, or thought it might catch fire if they played angry birds for more than 10 minutes....

7. omyard macrumors regular

It there is one thing I've learned from watching Pawn Stars, it's that with out a certificate of authenticity the autograph doesn't mean squat.

8. Tander macrumors 6502a

Tander

You sir, get the post of the day! :cool:

9. WalledMacGarden macrumors regular

A 2007 Story from CBS on autographs: http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-207_162-672929.html

"Only six percent of all autographed Beatles memorabilia is authentic, according to PSA/DNA Authentication Services, a California-based organization that examines collectibles. Only 24 percent of Marilyn Monroe and Elvis Presley signatures PSA/DNA has examined were genuine, and only 33 percent of more than 10,000 Woods and Michael Jordan autographs they scrutinized were real."

WOW, and I thought it was like 50% and that's bad enough.

10. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

And from what I have learned from watching Hardcore Pawn (on TruTV) if the seller is missing 6 teeth and weighs 546 pounds it's also a fake. :D

----------

Too bad it wasn't authenticated although the "v" on the iPad looks "forced." It's not smooth but has "skips." Pretty good fake.

From ebay:

[​IMG]

From http://handwritinguniversity.com/me...ional-articles/steve-jobs-signature-analyzed/ :

[​IMG]

11. iEvolution macrumors 65816

LMAO at the engraving. Could anyone really be so niave as to think this is authentic?

If so I have a baseball to sell them, signed by Jesus himself!

12. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

Can anyone tell me if there are any bids on it. Cant load the page at work. It sounds terrible.

13. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

I'm no expert in handwriting, but the bottom of the 'T' on the iPad shows what appears to be pauses and hesitation ( looking at what appears to be sharp angles) on copying the signature.

14. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

You can tell who ever wrote it did it very slowly. It looks unnatural but still quite a decent match.

15. palpatine macrumors 68040

hilarious, especially since he could just order an ipad with that engraving and then sign it with a permanent marker. if he fails in the scam, he has an ipad, so not much to lose there. of couse, he probably has ten of them :)

16. ZipZap macrumors 601

I'm liquidating my collect - HINT

No Pawnshop receipt picture - HINT

I have to imaging he has been asked 100's of questions yet not one has been published to the auction - HINT

No signature authentication evidence - HINT

17. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

At first I thought it was fake, but then I saw the engraving. Now I know it's authentic.

18. Hello... macrumors 6502a

Hello...

I have Steve's baby, wonder how much I could get?

19. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

You're 100% right on this item, but regarding Pawnshops in general you would be quite surprised on what can be found. In this economy the pawnshop is the new bank. Did you happen to watch Rock Center this week?

20. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

21. simply stunning macrumors regular

Lol, hurry someone buy it before it goes back up to $6,999! It is a steal at that price! :rolleyes:

It makes me wonder if the box serial number matches the iPad. I wonder how many pawn shops buy iPads in the original box? ;)

Also wonder how much backlight bleeding it has...

22. iMaven macrumors 6502

iMaven

I've never heard of Steve autographing any of his first gen products...or am I missing something?

23. WindWaker macrumors regular

The engraving is really random in terms of capitalization. Also Apple generally likes to put periods after small phrases... there are none in between the two.

24. inaka macrumors 6502

If you buy an autographed item on eBay, always assume first that it's fake.
    This case is no exception.

25. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

In favor of it being authentic: An iPad, such as a baseball or bat would be more difficult to sign than a paper such as a photo or contract.
    Also, he is selling other Steve Jobs signed memorabilia. Those signatures look authentic.

What I'd like to see is the build date of the iPad. Perhaps the serial number would be an indication, but we don't have that information as the seller hasn't provided a shot of that screen (with the iPad turned on).

The engraving doesn't bother me as anyone giving instructions for the wording could have specified or the engraver himself could have made those slight modifications (capitalization).

Interesting item.
    What would you think it would be worth if it could be proven to be genuine?
    (I think his asking price is about right on the valuation and he isn't leaving any money on the table.)