Automatic App Updating

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by WhackyNinja, Sep 16, 2013.

1. WhackyNinja macrumors 68000

WhackyNinja

I have a question...sorry if this thread may have been made.

But everytime a new update for an app comes, it doesnt automatically update on my iPhone. I have to go into the App Store then see theres a new update then when I exit out the App is automatically downloading.

How much time does it take to automatically update the apps after the update comes in?

2. ajiuo macrumors 65816

The option has to be enabled and you have to be on a wifi network.

3. WhackyNinja thread starter macrumors 68000

WhackyNinja

Yes I have that and I am on a wifi

4. TrenttonY macrumors 6502a

Do you get a notification when a new update is available or when's it's downloaded?

5. WhackyNinja thread starter macrumors 68000

WhackyNinja

I get a new notification when its downloaded. But its not updating automatically unless I go to the App Store

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

It probably checks/installs once a day or so, so I'd give it a day or two at least to see if it would install on its own. It's another part of the reason why I don't even use it and just check and install on my own.

7. Black Magic macrumors 68000

Black Magic

Not sure what's going on with yours but it does seem to work. I got 3 updates today (Angry Birds, Jetpack Joyride, and I think iBooks). You get a notification and when you look at it you get details and what was updated/changes.

8. WhackyNinja thread starter macrumors 68000

WhackyNinja

Well I get the notification and the app updates by itself just I have to open the App Store and then it will tell me I have a pending update and it installs it for me.

I think Im just going to disable it

9. Black Magic macrumors 68000

Black Magic

Maybe you just need to reboot or something along those lines?

10. WhackyNinja thread starter macrumors 68000

WhackyNinja

Well I go on the App Store at least daily to check for an update...force of habit from iOS 6. I think Im just going to disable it for the time being cause I think its a little flawed.

Question is how to disable it...do you go to iTunes & App Store and disable Updates from Automatic Downloads?

----------

Maybe I'll just do that..if not I'll disable it altogether....I never had a problem checking the App Store for an update and updating the apps myself. So I wont have the problem now. I actually like to see what App has updated and whats new.

11. Am3r1ca16 macrumors 6502a

Am3r1ca16

so it doesn't auto-update via cellular data?

12. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

It does if you allow it in Settings.

Love the auto update feature... I wish the control freaks among you would just relax and let it do its thing- for your own mental health :p

----------

Yep

13. brian017 macrumors regular

I experience this too. The only app that downloaded fully automatically was Viber but that was when I was asleep.

With all my other apps, I had to launch the AppStore and the available updates download automatically after about 5 seconds.

It seem it only checks for updates once a day if you don't launch the store.

14. djtech42 macrumors 65816

djtech42

Hope they change that if that is indeed the case.

15. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

im having the same issues, and its only started recently. it will send me a notification about the update in the missed notification menu. but i need to go into app store for the download to actually begin. and i have auto update enabled. i think in the past few weeks it stopped working correctly for some apps, others it does.

16. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

I noticed it to during the whole update spree that was going on in the update thread :p

I think it just refreshes every so often or at set intervals? Like it checks every hour or so? I'm leaving it on just to see if I get any over night because I know it works because Netflix and Spotify auto-updated for me today but Snapchat, Flipboard, and Instagram did not.

17. WhackyNinja thread starter macrumors 68000

WhackyNinja

Vine for me updated automatically today but others did not

18. Ensoniq macrumors regular

Auto-update is definitely working for me. But I'm getting mixed results on the blue dot indicator. Some app updates show up with the dot to tell me they are new, others don't.

Anyone else seeing this random behavior?

19. Spacial macrumors 6502

Random behavior is normal. Apple will fix it.

20. Nevaborn macrumors 65816

Nevaborn

I think its a feature that everyoneshould have on. Like everything though with iOS it doesnt always kick in like it should. A hard reset or restore might sort it. But I usually just find toggling the on/off button a bit seems to wake these things up.

I like being able to just swipe down notifications and see whats updated than having to go into apps. Its progress by Apple. Yay

21. Gymgenius Suspended

Similar here - except I've yet to see a blue dot against an app that has been automatically updated.

This is a great feature of iOS7 imo.

22. KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

It's good, but naturally it's a battery hog.

I put in a suggestion to Apple to have the option (in addition to the choice of WiFi only updates or not) to only update when the phone is connected to the charger.

I'm constantly switching Auto Updates on when I charge and off again when not. It'd be nice to leave it on all the time and have iOS do the work.

23. Gymgenius Suspended

My battery isn't drained excessively by auto updates, but I have got Use Mobile Data turned off - so I imagine it only tries updating when connected to wifi.

24. squall101403 macrumors newbie

experiencing the same issue now. Works fine in beta. Problem is that the app store is not automatically notified if an update is available. You have to manually open the app store to detect the updates then it installs automatically

25. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

Automatic app updates probably make use of the optimised background task process that Apple introduced with iOS 7. i.e. it will download and install at optimal times when the phone's powered up already for other stuff, so it doesn't unnecessarily waste battery powering it up just to do its own thing.

Unless you urgently need an app update right away, just sit back and let iOS do its thing...

You're probably just noticing it not immediately download updates more now because you're so eager for updates at this time.