iPad mini Automatic contrast ruins my iPad Mini 4

Discussion in 'iPad' started by WashupDawg, May 10, 2016.

1. WashupDawg macrumors regular

Hello

I was very happy with my iPad Mini 4 until I discovered the terrible effects of iOS automatic contrast adjustment. This is not the same as brightness.

The problem is that the contrast is adjusted on the fly, making the screen's black levels adjust all the time. It is extremely irritating in full screen mode with dark scenes where you have subtitles that pop up from time to time. My only solution right is to NOT use full screen. Because when you have something that is white (such as in Youtube comment section or Twitch chat), the contrast will not fluctuate to same extent.

Can automatic contrast be disabled if I jailbreak the device?

It's monumental shame that this software feature completely ruins a great display for video playback...

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

You must be referring to one of two things.

Auto brightness. Or nightshift.

The mini 4 did not get a true tone display so it can't be that.

Auto brightness can be turned off in settings > display & brightness.

Nightshift is I the same settings.

3. WashupDawg thread starter macrumors regular

The automatic contrast has nothing to do with brightness, True Tone or Nightshift. I don't even use automatic brightness.

The effect is that the software automatically adjust contrast when depending on what you view. When you have a lot of black on the screen, the screen will dim slightly. When you have a lot of white, the screen will light up slightly.

So when you have a dark scene in a video and suddenly a white subtitle pop up, the black level will suddenly light up in a distracting way.

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Sounds like you have one of the accessibility features enabled then because by default iOS does not do that

5. maclancer macrumors regular

You are correct... I have the iPad mini 3 and I do not have the issue he is referring too. It's definitely an accessibility setting on.

6. WashupDawg thread starter macrumors regular

And which specific feature could that be?

7. journeyy macrumors regular

Most people don't notice it. but it's there. It annoys me on my Mini 2. The contrast is being adjusted in dark scenes when watching videos

8. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

General -> Increase contrast -> turn all 3 settings OFF

9. Skika, May 10, 2016
    Last edited: May 10, 2016

Skika macrumors 68030

10. kameradhund macrumors newbie

i have the same problem and there is nothing one can do about. the only thing that helps a little bit is to turn on (!) assistive touch. i read about this somewhere and tried it. the automatic contrast adjustment is gone BUT you will have the virtual home button always distracting you instead. so: one problem gone, another problem there haha. but try it for your self please.

11. Ffosse macrumors 6502a

I always set my brightness manually on the iPad Mini 4.

And nightshift is pointless in the Summer with 6 hours of permanent twilight (during which I'm asleep).

12. iOSUser7 macrumors 6502a

iOSUser7

It's not Night Shift, auto-brightness, accessibility or anything like that, we all have this feature it's built in every iOS versions (since iOS 7 I believe). Some people just don't notice it, some others does. Personally, even if I notice it every time it happen, it never bothered me at all.

But anyway, OP I don't think you can disable it and I'm not sure someone even bothered to make a jailbreak tweak to disable that feature. Though, you could probably disable it by jailbreaking and tweaking yourself the OS, if you have some knowledge.

13. ZEEN0j macrumors 6502a

I find this on my 6 and air 2. I don't notice it all the time and it's worse in some videos than others. Best way to test is a dark video in any app in full screen. Then go to app switcher and the contrast will be very bright and take maybe a second to readjust.

14. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I found this annoying on my iPad mini 3. I haven't noticed that happening on my 9.7" Pro yet.

15. maclancer macrumors regular

I have the iPad mini 3 and does not bother me. You just have to set it or turn the thing off.