Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

attilahun

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2008
Wow

This thread saved me!
Couldn't get auto sync via wifi working and now it does.
I've got the latest iOS installed in both iPhone and iPad.
I unchecked "prevent iOS stuff from auto syncing" under iTunes prefs, devices.
Then I checked open iTunes when this device is connected.
Finally, when I connect the device to a wall power source they synced!

A N G E L

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2008
San Francisco, CA

"Wirelessly sync your iOS device to your Mac or PC over a shared Wi-Fi connection. Every time you connect your iOS device to a power source (say, overnight for charging), it automatically syncs and backs up any new content to iTunes. So you always have your movies, TV shows, home videos, and photo albums everywhere you want them."

The quote above is accurate considering the fact that automatic syncing is on by default, but many users tend to turn off the feature (and the last place one would check is the Preferences pane as opposed to the iPad/iPhone/iPod tab.)

This thread is from October, but for those who are still having trouble figuring it out, check out attilahun's post above. Make sure that under Preferences > Devices > "Prevent iPods, iPhones, and iPads from syncing automatically" is UNCHECKED! This way automatic wifi syncing does occur when plugged into a power port. :D

outaru

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2008
Hopefully Apple enable backing up to PC and to iCloud consecutively during wireless syncing.

Right now my iCloud is full, i want itunes to also create a backup if icloud is not available.:confused:

scottelloco

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2009
Thanks for the tips. I was able to fix the problem of automatic Wi-Fi syncing not starting when connecting my iPhone (iOS 6.1.3) to a wall power adapter by doing the following:

Connect iPhone to computer with iTunes via USB

Select the iOS device and click the 'Summary' tab

Uncheck 'Sync with this iPhone over Wi-Fi'

Sync

Check ''Sync with this iPhone over Wi-Fi''

Sync

Unplug the iPhone from the computer USB cable and connect it to a wall charger adapter

Automatic Wi-Fi syncing should start now

As other people suggested, make sure "Prevent iPods, iPhones, and iPads from syncing automatically" is NOT checked (On a Mac, go to the iTunes menu -> Preferences -> Devices. On a PC, go to Edit -> Settings -> Devices)

pondosinatra

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2009
Calgary, Canada
Thanks for the tips. I was able to fix the problem of automatic Wi-Fi syncing not starting when connecting my iPhone (iOS 6.1.3) to a wall power adapter by doing the following:

Connect iPhone to computer with iTunes via USB

Select the iOS device and click the 'Summary' tab

Uncheck 'Sync with this iPhone over Wi-Fi'

Sync

Check ''Sync with this iPhone over Wi-Fi''

Sync

Unplug the iPhone from the computer USB cable and connect it to a wall charger adapter

Automatic Wi-Fi syncing should start now

As other people suggested, make sure "Prevent iPods, iPhones, and iPads from syncing automatically" is NOT checked (On a Mac, go to the iTunes menu -> Preferences -> Devices. On a PC, go to Edit -> Settings -> Devices)

No, this doesn't work!

Did these steps exactly and no change. Can synch manually, won't synch over wifi. Prevent iPods...from syncing automatically is not checked.

I plug the iPhone (6.1.3) into the wall charger and it never shows up in iTunes. Although from the iPhone if I go General, iTunes Wi-Fi Sync it sees the Mac.

pondosinatra

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2009
Calgary, Canada
No, this doesn't work!

Did these steps exactly and no change. Can synch manually, won't synch over wifi. Prevent iPods...from syncing automatically is not checked.

I plug the iPhone (6.1.3) into the wall charger and it never shows up in iTunes. Although from the iPhone if I go General, iTunes Wi-Fi Sync it sees the Mac.

Update: I finally got it to work by turning Airport off and then on again on my Mac. Now (as long as iTunes is running) when the iPhone is plugged into the charger it'll synch. But the problem is, when it's disconnected it still shows as connected in iTunes. And if you then plug the iPhone into the charger again later, it doesn't synch because it still thinks it's connected from before.

Pretty piss poor implementation Apple!

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
I Googled and Googled and followed all the various suggestions to no avail. Finally, it occurred to me that maybe there was a problem with the trust relationship. This is what solved the problem for me:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203887

So easy!

I have an iPad and iPhone. The iPhone was showing up in iTunes, the iPad was not. The iPhone would not automatically sync when plugged into power.

As per the instructions in the linked article I deleted all files in the folder (including the PLIST file, it's recreated when launching iTunes). My iPad is now visible in iTunes. The problem is neither iPhone or iPad will automatically wifi sync when plugged into power. I can manually start sync from my iMac or device.

The other advice in this thread does not fix my problem. If anybody has any suggestions how to get wifi sync working please post them here.

macdaddy84

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2015
WiFi sync has never worked automatically for me. I'm not sure that it's supposed to. I always initiate the sync from the host Mac. After figuring out the above solution, if I'm still unable to see the target iOS device from the host Mac, then I simply have to make sure the iOS device is awake. For example, I have an old iPhone that I use as an iPod in my car. It falls asleep when the car is off. I usually open the door to my car to tickle the power to my iOS device. Then I go back to my Mac and sync.

I hope that helps.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
WiFi sync has never worked automatically for me. I'm not sure that it's supposed to. I always initiate the sync from the host Mac. After figuring out the above solution, if I'm still unable to see the target iOS device from the host Mac, then I simply have to make sure the iOS device is awake. For example, I have an old iPhone that I use as an iPod in my car. It falls asleep when the car is off. I usually open the door to my car to tickle the power to my iOS device. Then I go back to my Mac and sync.

I hope that helps.

It looks like you and I are in the same boat then.

The iOS device syncs automatically whenever it charges and iTunes is open on the computer.

Source: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT203075

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.