HomeKit Automating a cup of tea?

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by Jamie0003, May 31, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Jamie0003 macrumors 6502a

I know this is really lazy, but I would love to be able to add my kettle to my morning automations with my hue lights, to boil the water for when I come downstairs. I have heard this is possible with smart plugs, however..

Whenever I see people talking about this, they say it’s as easy as plugging it in and automating the plug to turn on in the morning. My guess is in the US, this is easy enough to do, but here in the UK, you have to actually press a switch to activate the boiling process. I’m guessing it’s due to safety. Is there a way of getting around this?

2. cyclingplatypus macrumors 65816

cyclingplatypus

What about the appkettle? It says that it is compatible with alexa so you could either use that or see if there is a IFTTT - I don't know of any homekit compatible kettles.

3. Jamie0003 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah I would want one that works with HomeKit. Ah well, maybe one will be released in future

4. LiveM macrumors 65816

LiveM

Besides the safety trip switch, rather than a timer, what about setting by motion sensor in the morning?

5. BlankStar macrumors 6502

BlankStar

My kettle has a switch you can activate when the power is off, so I can do that setup with a smart plug.
    This kind of button

My coffee machine on the other hand has a single on/off-button instead, so can't do it for coffee...
    This kind of button

The button links are just so you can easily understand what the hell I'm trying to explain :-D

6. elf69 macrumors 68020

elf69

My mum had an old goblin teasmade alarm clock.

although no longer used it still works.

[​IMG]
    Note generic internet photo, not my mums item

7. cjbryce, Jun 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2018

cjbryce macrumors 6502

cjbryce

Ohmigod - I had one of those in my first flat, a housewarming gift from my gran. The tea-making process was almost as loud as the klaxon-style alarm. It was absolutely NFU for me as even back then I was a confirmed coffee drinker and not that instant powdered stuff either.

Like the OP, a connected kettle would be useful for me nowadays as SWMBO is a tea-in-the-morning person, and guess who's been delegated the task of making it for her:)

8. elf69 macrumors 68020

elf69

Arn't we so glad automation come long way from those things lol

automated kettle great just need it auto fill with water too.