'AutoSleep 5' Brings Live Sleep Tracking to Apple Watch and iPhone X Support

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 19, 2017.

1. jermwhl macrumors regular

jermwhl

Well, it isn't a phone replacement and not designed to function in the way you described. I didn't know what to expect when I bought mine, honestly. I bought it during the holiday period so that I could return it after the new year if I decided I didn't like it. It only took a few days for me to appreciate the watch. I will be keeping it. But I never expected to use it on LTE 24 hours a day, as you stated. There are a few things it's good at by itself, but it mostly compliments the iPhone. I have run to the store (and went on runs) without my iPhone and it's worked fine then. But I wouldn't expect to leave my phone at home and use the watch as a replacement.
    I don't consider myself a heavy user, so my usage may not be typical, although it seems most people on here are somewhere close to describing the same battery life as me. I just used mine two days in a row and charged it last night. After 48-50 hours of use, it was at 23%. Some of that was on its own (away from the iPhone). I put it in theater mode at night, and never disabled LTE, GPS, Wifi, or Bluetooth (except for a 4-hour flight when it had to be on airplane mode).
    If battery life is your biggest hangup on getting the watch, and you don't consider yourself a heavy user, I would say go for it. There is a 14-day return policy, so you'll easily get an idea if the battery life will be an issue for you.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 26, 2017 ---
    It appears the app is tracking my heart beat all through the night, it appears to be checking in 10-15 minute intervals. (Apple Watch series 3 though). Not sure if series 1 has an issue.

2. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    It works perfectly for me on my original Apple Watch. You might want to email the developer if you’re having an issue, he is usually pretty responsive.

3. ErikGrim macrumors 68040

ErikGrim

It’s not running on your watch, so it’s not using any battery at all. All it does is take a reading of the data when you wake up.

4. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    I’m not sure if that’s entirely true anymore. With this update you can wake up at like 3am and check your watch (without touching your iPhone) and see your up to date sleep pattern. I’m not saying it drains your battery necessarily, but it doesn’t appear to need to iPhone as much as it used to.

5. ErikGrim macrumors 68040

ErikGrim

If you are using the app of course it drains battery. But you don’t need to run the watch app at all. You can completely remove it from your watch and still have the same functionality.

6. markol macrumors member

Does the Watch app work if I put the watch to Airplane Mode at night? I don't want to have the wifi/cellular radios on and near my body 24/7.

7. ErikGrim macrumors 68040

ErikGrim

8. jon08 macrumors 68000

Does AutoSleep record ambient noise/sound like Pillow, for example? If not, does anyone know if it's in the pipeline for a future implementation?