availability for upgrade on rogers/fido?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Acronym, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Acronym macrumors 68000

anyone know how long you have to be with rogers to upgrade? to the 3Gs? i have been with them for a year but from what i got from there website im kind of in between.

also what happens with your old iphone? you keep it? return it? sell it?

when you upgrade are you paying the subsidized price or the full phone price?

2. taran420 macrumors 6502a

i assume you didnt call them, or you would`ve posted a rant post instead
    so after the announcement yesterday i called them and asked when i can upgrade (i upgraded last july), they told me that to upgrade to another smart phone its 2 year wait, so july 2010, and if i want a normal phone then its one year

so yea, rogers and its BS screwed us 3G owners

3. Acronym thread starter macrumors 68000

that is BS a friend of mine used this tactic with his BB when he wanted to upgrade he had threatened to leave his carrier and go somewhere else to get the phone he wanted after some negotiating and what not he got the newest BB for free.

i wonder if the same effect will work with the 3Gs, cause i was watching the keynote on the 3Gs and i have become addicted to it :S

4. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

You could also try but it at full price but thats not fun. I wish it was 2 year contracts instead of 3. I am going to be getting the 3GS but I don't like the 3 year contracts.

5. rugox macrumors regular

Both Rogers and Fido have put up information about the new iPhone 3GS on their site now.

Fido: https://www.fido.ca/web/content/faq/iphone_qa09

Rogers: http://www.rogers.com/web/content/wireless-products/iphone_faqs

Keith MacArthur who is the public relations rep for Rogers has been answering questions for the customers on his twitter account.
    Basically, you can only upgrade at the subsidized prices after 2 years of contract time. If you are still in the contract and haven't reached your 2 years time yet(say 1 year only), you will be paying the no-contract device only price. This is pretty much identical to the complaints made by the AT&T customers about their upgrade eligibility and prices.

So if you've bought your iphone 3g last july, then you will be paying the no-contract device only price which will be in the $400-500's. They said they will release the exact price few days before June 19th the launch date.

6. Acronym thread starter macrumors 68000

so then it would be best to sell the iphone 3G and then put that money towards the 3Gs

7. taran420 macrumors 6502a

yes, thats what i will be doing
    and if you want that kind of money, unlock your phone. i have a 16GB, so i can fetch something around that if i unlock it, hopefully, lol

8. rugox macrumors regular

Yes that's your best bet if you still have lots of time left in your contract.

9. C0die macrumors newbie

It's retarted, the new contract states that it's 2 years for smart phones, however I signed a contract before they updated there ToS and I can upgrade after 1 year.

10. Acronym thread starter macrumors 68000

i unfortunately upgraded to the 3.0 GM firmware :( so i cannot unlock

and mine is only a 8 gig model

11. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

I am concerned about how much monthly is going to cost for data. I am wondering how I can get cheaper rates for the minutes part of the plan. As currently I pay less with telus compared to the same plan on rogers.(not counting data)

12. rugox macrumors regular

How much do you pay on Rogers?
    You can actually pick out your own voice plan and a data plan separately and combine them instead of taking their preset combo packages if you can work it out to a cheaper value.

Also, Don't forget to take advantage of the limited time offer of 6GB data/$30 per month data plan available starting June 9(today).

Take the limited time 6GB data plan and combine it with a voice plan that suits your needs. For me, I will be combining the $25 voice plan with the 6GB plan and this will come out to about $65 per month. Not bad.

13. Acronym thread starter macrumors 68000

all i know is Rogers is offering the 30$///6gb data plan again and right now i am paying 55-57$ for 200 weekday 1000 weekend/evening minutes with a my fav 5 +5 for being a student.

but i just signed up for a data plan so now its at 75-80

now for my question

anyone know how to actiavte MMS on iphone 3G? i assume im gonna have to call rogers and that there will be a charge for each MMS sent, but i have seen guides for ATT users was wondering if there was the same sort of process for Rogers/fido

14. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

Do you have 3.0 yet? I heard Rogers will included both MMS in your sms total and tethering in your data total as long as your plan is over 1GB.

15. taran420 macrumors 6502a

If u have any txt plan/bundle, u get certain amount of mms for free. I just upgraded to 3.0 and mms worked

16. taran420 macrumors 6502a

Did u call and verify this and when did u sign ure contact?

17. Acronym thread starter macrumors 68000

i am on 3.0 and right now my plan is at 500Mb

how so? i tried sending a photo to my brothers iphone it gave me an error saying "Your message was not sent. Tap "Try again" to send this message"

18. taran420 macrumors 6502a

Call them and make sure data and media aren't blocked on your account, u need those two to send mms

19. Acronym thread starter macrumors 68000

actualy when i had first bought my iphone i didnt use data so i old them to block it when i called them back asking for the 500Mb data plan they said it wouldnt be availble till the day of my next bill to avoid billing problems could this affect MMS?

also my brothers iphone is only 2.2.1 but it should still receive it as a flash sms right?

20. taran420 macrumors 6502a

Yes that's what affecting it, it needs data, and they probably still have it blocked till the next billing cycle, I would also tell them to unblock media, if they had it blocked. So yea, just wait till you have data and mms will work

since you can't send mms, your brother won't recieve anything, but once you can he will get a MSG saying that go to Rogers site to view the mms

21. Marconelly macrumors 6502

Marconelly

So Rogers and Fido are selling iphones with no contract? I could use them with pay as you go, as long as I'm using it with one of them (and hypothetically when I don't want to be with them anymore at any point I could unlock the phone and use it with some other provider)?

22. Acronym thread starter macrumors 68000

If I am understanding the whole 3G and 3Gs deal you'll still be under a contract with the 3G iPhone

23. Kevlar macrumors 6502

Log into your account online. Then go to 'my wireless services' and then click on hardware upgrade. That will give you when you are eligible for a hardware upgrade. What the price for the upgrade is going to be is unknown, whether rogers will give the phone at the fully subsidized price or not on a new 3 year contract is also unknown. Last time with the 3G they gave anyone eligible for a hardware upgrade the phone at the fully subsidized price when they signed a new 3 year contract. But they forced the person either to use one of the iphone value packs or have some sort of data plan to go along with a voice plan.

MMS worked for me right out of the box to say for 3.0 GM firmware no changes to the account needed. I have the 6gb data pack with a my 5 voice plan and the Visual voice mail pack.

24. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Currently I receive the following from telus:

200 anytime minutes
    5 pm unlimited evenings and weekends
    caller ID
    voicemail
    unlimited incoming minutes
    unlimited texting

all for $45 a month and thats after system access fee and 911.

I use alot of minutes in a year. Over 25 hours a month. However, a my 5 plan should be able to pull it off for me. I need caller ID, voicemail, and some texting to those not on my 5. Yet to get something that would work gets on the large side. The $35 iphone package would work. But then I can't take advantage of the $30 6gb package.

25. Marconelly macrumors 6502

Marconelly

I don't own any iphones right now. If I get 3GS, it would be my first one. So I'm wondering if it's possible to just buy the phone outright from Rogers, and continue using it on my current, voice only plan with them (which expires in September) and then continue using it with pay as you go (again with them, and with some data plan, whatever seems the best at the time).