Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kkachurak

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, FL
Please pardon my ignorance if this has been touched on before.

I'm a YouTube user and post videos from time to time. They aren't incredibly popular or anything, and probably average around 10-20 views a day.

I tried searching for them on an iPhone in our local Apple store and nothing came up.

Does YouTube only encode some (i.e. the most popular) videos to h.264 for viewing on the iPhone?

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Please pardon my ignorance if this has been touched on before.

I'm a YouTube user and post videos from time to time. They aren't incredibly popular or anything, and probably average around 10-20 views a day.

I tried searching for them on an iPhone in our local Apple store and nothing came up.

Does YouTube only encode some (i.e. the most popular) videos to h.264 for viewing on the iPhone?

YouTube converted about 10,000 videos to h.264 for the Apple TV and iPhone. They are converting the rest too... which should be done by fall.

From my understanding I think all new videos are automnatically converted to h.264. So by the fall, 100% of Youtube should be accessible.

arn

loudestnoise

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2005
Nashville, TN
I was wondering the same thing. I have been searching for a video I made a few days ago on my iPhone, and when I search for the title of the video or even my username nothing comes up. I hope they add the ability to search videos by username.

loudestnoise

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2005
Nashville, TN
YouTube converted about 10,000 videos to h.264 for the Apple TV and iPhone. They are converting the rest too... which should be done by fall.

From my understanding I think all new videos are automnatically converted to h.264. So by the fall, 100% of Youtube should be accessible.

arn

Hopefully so, and they better add better search. I can't get my find my videos :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.