Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by joro, Mar 14, 2010.

1. joro macrumors 68020

joro

It's getting very frustrating to have to resize avatars or compress them to the point of oblivion because of the restrictions on avatars. I understand the 75x75px limit but why is the file size limit so low? If possible, could we raise it to something decent perhaps 50kb + because I know that increase won't put a substantial load on the server especially given the number of people around here who have avatars.

Thanks for the consideration!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

^ rude. :cool:

It'd be nice to increase it ever so slightly but with a member base this large maybe it is a load issue.

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

It is a request that has been made often over the years, but perhaps the Admins would be willing to revisit it again

5. joro thread starter macrumors 68020

joro

Any response from Arn, Dr. Q, or Wild Cowboy in this regards?

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

MacDawg already answered, what more do you need?!

I kid I kid!!

It'd be nice to see if this could happen but so far things have been fine. The only c-block on my avatar was one that was probably not ok on this site. :D

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I too have asked this every year or so and it's not likely to happen. Not even for the mods.. :(

8. Friscohoya macrumors 6502a

Friscohoya

Ah, a room full of Avatar holders. I am on my way guys......

9. bartelby macrumors Core

10. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

And you know this how?

11. joro thread starter macrumors 68020

joro

Because I've run numerous vBulletin & SQL-backed forums and increasing the limit doesn't do a whole bunch to bandwidth, especially given the relatively small percentage of users here who have avatars (relative to the entire membership base)

12. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I'm not necessarily disagreeing, but did those sites have MR page view numbers? MR is very popular and its page loads are huge (compared to most forum sites), so even a couple KB here and there can add up quickly. It's the same reason Google uses such simplified code in their home page.

13. joro thread starter macrumors 68020

joro

Even with a large amount of page loads, bandwidth shouldn’t be an issue for a relatively minor increase to maybe around 50 - 60kb. I’ll concede it will increase bandwidth overall; however, if the servers at MacRumors can’t handle such a minor increase it’s probably a good indication they need more horsepower behind the forums (something which may be true given the recent slowness & outages that have been reported in this forum over the past few months).

It’s worth pointing out again that we aren’t talking about adding 25 – 30 kb for 417,000 users. We are talking about a likely small fraction of that which doesn’t add up to nearly as much as you may think. Maybe Dr. Q or someone could confirm the number of users who are avatar eligible and/or using avatars??

If you check the memberlist and do an advanced search for users who have over 500 posts (the number required to "qualify" for an avatar), it only comes up to 2,813 members – some of which don’t even have avatars uploaded. So if you take all those members and multiply by 30kb, it comes to 10.3mb which is smaller than many full-sized photos

Plus when you figure that after the initial load these images become cached, the real load on the serve would be negligent after the first few days.

14. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I'm actually surprised how few members are eligible for avatars compared to the whole. If somebody had asked I probably would've guessed 25%! :eek:

15. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I don't think you can extrapolate your personal experience to claim you know how it will affect MacRumors. But I'll leave it to the site owner and admins to provide the best insight. If they respond, you'll have your answer. If they don't, you'll also know (i.e. they probably aren't going to increase it).

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Just over 2,800 members, or only .78%! If you count only those who have posted in the last year, it's about 2,500, or about 2.2%. That's a tiny percentage of members. Personally, I think the current avatar allowance is fine. I'm glad MR isn't cluttered with outlandish avatars and signatures, that make other forums so difficult to read!

17. belvdr macrumors 603

That's the exact reason I choose to hide avatars and signatures. The page loads faster and wastes my bandwidth, especially on my WWAN device.

18. dernhelm macrumors 68000

dernhelm

But the percentage of posts by people with avatars is much higher. If you think about it, that's why they have avatars in the first place.

Myself, I usually block them - especially when I'm at work. There are many that are very distracting - others that I felt were a little lewd. Better just to turn them off altogether.

19. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Actually, MR added new servers in Februrary to address several issues

20. joro thread starter macrumors 68020

joro

To my earlier point, the fact that they added new servers in February should more than cover them for the few MBs – possibly even less – that increasing these limits would incur. ;)

21. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Kind of alarming from a business perspective. Why don't people stick around?

22. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Many join for a specific question and when it is answered, they leave
    Others lurk but don't really feel comfortable posting
    Some don't feel they have enough expertise to contribute anything that isn't being already said

Some are trolls who grew tired of having their fun

And some posters are so quick to answer everything, others don't get a chance to... (raises hand, guilty)

23. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

484 people with 'tars have posted in the last year. That is not that many considering the size of the forums. Seems we are a dying breed.

24. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Where do you get that number? Are you counting only those with avatars, or only those qualified for avatars? If I search for all the members with 500 posts or more, whose last post is in the last year, I get a different number:
    Picture 2.jpg

25. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

You are correct GGJ, its been a long day spent in front of my computer :eek: