Avengers Tickets

MasterControlOp

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 28, 2019
Looks like the new Avengers movie is going to break a few records considering it already froze the AMC site and app. Fandango also had an hours long wait to buy tickets. Finally got through myself and bought tickets for Thursday night. Honestly surprised they were still available at 2PM EST.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Looks like the new Avengers movie is going to break a few records considering it already froze the AMC site and app. Fandango also had an hours long wait to buy tickets. Finally got through myself and bought tickets for Thursday night. Honestly surprised they were still available at 2PM EST.
I’ll watch it on tv in a few years.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
I remember when star wars hit the streets and people waited in long lines, it was a crazy time. Seeing how the tickets are being highly sought aftered, It reminds me of that time. Yet the difference now, is the multiplexes that exist and running one movie on 10 screens at once. I am in no hurry to see the movie, and I can wait until it comes to on demand. The cost of movies is so high, I rarely go out to see a movie

MasterControlOp

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 28, 2019
I hate spoilers so it’s opening night for me. Something I have literally never done but I happened to have that day and the next day off from work so I figured why not.

AngerDanger

macrumors 601
Dec 9, 2008
I remember when star wars hit the streets and people waited in long lines, it was a crazy time. Seeing how the tickets are being highly sought aftered, It reminds me of that time. Yet the difference now, is the multiplexes that exist and running one movie on 10 screens at once. I am in no hurry to see the movie, and I can wait until it comes to on demand. The cost of movies is so high, I rarely go out to see a movie
Maybe I'm just no fun, but I don't really see the point of going out to see movies anymore. You pay more, can't pause or rewind, and have to listen to a bunch of other people chatting, eating, or reacting.

If you want to eat while watching the expensive movie, you again need to pay more for fewer and less healthy options than you'd have at home.

Reactions: kazmac

MasterControlOp

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 28, 2019
Maybe I'm just no fun, but I don't really see the point of going out to see movies anymore. You pay more, can't pause or rewind, and have to listen to a bunch of other people chatting, eating, or reacting.

If you want to eat while watching the expensive movie, you again need to pay more for fewer and less healthy options than you'd have at home.
All true but the only way to see a big action movie for me is in the theater. Hopefully, you get a good crowd.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

Agreed. And when you get to my age you struggle to go two hours without needing a comfort break!

Reactions: MasterControlOp

MacDawg

macrumors Core
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
All true but the only way to see a big action movie for me is in the theater. Hopefully, you get a good crowd.
The last few I went to were bad experiences

One had a lady with little kids she let play on the floor in the row I was on (eeeeww) and they were LOUD
Another had a guy who sat on our row (top) and was on his phone with max brightness on that kept flashing us
I turned my flashlight on and shined it on him till he put his phone away
Haven't been back since

Reactions: MasterControlOp

Apple fanboy

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
The last few I went to were bad experiences

One had a lady with little kids she let play on the floor in the row I was on (eeeeww) and they were LOUD
Another had a guy who sat on our row (top) and was on his phone with max brightness on that kept flashing us
I turned my flashlight on and shined it on him till he put his phone away
Haven't been back since
Last time I went the cinema issued two tickets for the same seat ( SW The last Jedi on opening night), and the cinema was full.
I was sat in the seat and this guy comes up and says I'm in his seat. I explain I wasn't. We checked both tickets and had to go see the manager. He had no clue what to do.
So I said it's simple isn't it. Who bought their ticket first (I knew I bought it the day it was released). I went and sat down. Not sure where they squeezed him in.
2 years before that (same cinema), I bought a ticket for SW on opening night (and one for Mrs AFB). The one screen was almost full but there were two other screens showing it.
Anyway we went and sat in the theatre, no one else was there yet.
5 minutes before the film was due to start a lady came in and checked our tickets again (still no one else there).
She explained they had originally planned to show it on three screens, but were now only showing it on two. I was about to kick off but she took one look at my wife who looked like she was about to break down at the thought of trying to find seats in what would now be a full cinema, and said she could play it in there but it would just be the two of us.
Result! I was more than happy. No people talking, no noisy eating, no smelly people!

daimos

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2009
People at work once talked about a major event in Game of Thrones. Totally ruined it for me.
You can be smart about your movie-going experience, but you're still surrounded by inconsiderate people.

Reactions: rhett7660

MasterControlOp

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 28, 2019
Last time I went the cinema issued two tickets for the same seat ( SW The last Jedi on opening night), and the cinema was full.
I was sat in the seat and this guy comes up and says I'm in his seat. I explain I wasn't. We checked both tickets and had to go see the manager. He had no clue what to do.
So I said it's simple isn't it. Who bought their ticket first (I knew I bought it the day it was released). I went and sat down. Not sure where they squeezed him in.
2 years before that (same cinema), I bought a ticket for SW on opening night (and one for Mrs AFB). The one screen was almost full but there were two other screens showing it.
Anyway we went and sat in the theatre, no one else was there yet.
5 minutes before the film was due to start a lady came in and checked our tickets again (still no one else there).
She explained they had originally planned to show it on three screens, but were now only showing it on two. I was about to kick off but she took one look at my wife who looked like she was about to break down at the thought of trying to find seats in what would now be a full cinema, and said she could play it in there but it would just be the two of us.
Result! I was more than happy. No people talking, no noisy eating, no smelly people!
Jackpot!!!

kazmac

macrumors 604
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....

You’re smart and having more fun. I’ve cut way back due to price and I hate people talking, texting etc. I did not pay through the nose to hear or be distracted by other people.

Most movies aren’t worth the rental either, but I am going opening day. The last one had some great moments from two characters I’ve enjoyed reading for eons, so I hope the same is true for Hawkeye.

Generally, I buy older movies and rent new ones, but this is an exception.