AVG & El Capitan

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by Hook85, Jul 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hook85 macrumors member

Hook85

Does anybody else have AVG Anti Virus installed with El Capitan? If so, does it work?

I've been having some problems with 'spigot' on my mac, I've removed it manually but I wanted to run AVG to double check but it can't seem to connect to the internet?

Cheers,
    Dan

2. chama98 macrumors regular

You don't need antivirus on a mac. if you really want antivirus get a free one from the Mac App store like ClamXav

3. Hook85 thread starter macrumors member

Hook85

Well for starters, AVG is free.

Second, it doesn't just scan for anti-virus it also keeps an eye for malware and spyware. And if you think that the mac isn't susceptible to that you better think again.

4. randomgeeza macrumors regular

Yawn... Not this old argument again. Clearly, if you believe what you type then it is you that is mistaken. All AVG will do is slow down your machine or worse, become incompatible with one or more apps that run on it. ClamXav is fine if you feel safer using AV... otherwise sensible practices whilst on line are enough to protect you.

However, each to their own...

5. chama98 macrumors regular

That old chestnut! Gatekeeper will do that for you. Unless you change its settings. Seeing that Mac OS X is and uses Unix. There are very very little 'viruses' out there mainly Trojans you would have to be very thick to launch one of these!

But and the end of the day it's your own wish if you wish to install antivirus. Mac OS X does a pretty good job. In the end it will cause system to slow down, false positives, headache blah, blah,blah.

But it's your system not mine.

6. Hook85 thread starter macrumors member

Hook85

Oh my.

I come on here for advice about why it's not working and instead I get a load of advice that I didn't ask for.

I'm well aware of what the limitations are of the software, I'm aware of the impact it may/may not have on the performance of my machine. I also know what Gatekeeper does and how it functions. However as you rightly state it is my system, I have chosen to install AVG on it and I would like it to work.

Now if somebody wouldn't mind suggesting what the problem might be (for example is it linked to the java issue, or is something else entirely) I would be very grateful.

:)

7. chama98 macrumors regular

Speak to the manufacturer they have a support system. Or look at this support pages

8. KALLT macrumors 601

As I pointed out in another thread (link below), it may have something to do with System Integrity Protection. It’s a new security policy in El Capitan that blocks all unprivileged (non-Apple) processes from writing to certain locations (/System, /usr, /bin) and injecting code into other protected processes. You can try by disabling the policy in the recovery OS (reboot and hold the cmd + R keys, then look for a program in the utility menu).

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/av-software-installs-failing.1900848/#post-21599173

9. Hook85 thread starter macrumors member

Hook85

Thank you - much appreciated.

I was trying to test it out for a client, but I'll keep my patience until AVG get up to speed.

10. leman macrumors 604

OS X has a built-in malware scanner (XProtect), which works jut as well as any third-party solution. The malware definitions are updated automatically for you in the background.

11. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.