avid on the new macbook pro retina

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by frozi, Jun 23, 2012.

1. frozi macrumors member

Anyone install Avid MC6 on the new macbook pro Retina?

I am plan on upgrading the ram to 16 gb and hope this laptop will do the trick.

2. HMI macrumors 6502a

HMI

should work / safer to wait for avid

I've been curious about the same thing, but it has been difficult finding any specific reviews/experiences in regard to this.

I just installed the mc6 trial on a late 2011 15" mbp with 256ssd/8gb ram on 10.7.4, and it seemed to work fine.

FYI: (In case you are new to avid or lion)
    On lion, the default avid settings on startup are expecting an external drive to be connected because lion turns off the system write access permissions for all users. I'm assuming you'll have another drive for your projects, but if you need to work on "Macintosh HD", select it and choose file/get info, then unlock with admin password, and in permissions select "everyone" and change the value from "read only" to "read and write". pretty simple.

According to avid, the most recent "officially supported" OS is 10.7.3. The forums do say 10.7.4 works well, but is still being tested. As far as I know, Avid is only scheduled to start testing the mbpr sometime soon, or, if we're lucky, it has just now started testing.

If you need to use mbpr now to start cutting now, I'm guessing it should work fine. MC6 seems to work well on 10.7.4, and mbpr adds improved performance over late 2011 mbp. If you can wait for avid to officially support mbpr on 10.8 then that would be safer. They will probably only officially support 1 or 2 configurations, so you may want to wait to see what they do before you spend all that money on unsupported / unchangable hardware. Historically, avid users say it is wise to wait for officially supported configurations before purchasing new systems.

I'm planning on waiting for avid because the wait time for mbpr is 3-4 weeks and we'll be moving to 10.8 ML anyway. I'm guessing that may be when avid begins their testing and releases their supported configurations for 10.8.

I know this post probably didn't help too much, but this computer is still new, Avid is slow to support new setups, and I'm asking the same questions you are.

Best of luck!

3. frozi thread starter macrumors member

You said its expecting an external to be connected. I will be purchasing an external to store my footage. I am thinking usb 3.0..this one
    http://www.amazon.ca/Western-Digita...UV4A/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1340668368&sr=8-4

thoughts?

I am new to lion and am currently finishing avid tutorials online, so the info you gave me did help.

i appreciate it, thank you

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

5. frozi, Jun 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2012

frozi thread starter macrumors member

Which external would you reccomend me to keep my fottage onto?

6. HMI macrumors 6502a

HMI

No

Those little passports might be okay for small document backups, but they are way too fragile and break too easily. I have had this happen personally. I would NEVER trust them for anything actually important, especially large videos or entire projects that you need to depend on. Hard drives choice is critical. You get what you pay for.

If at all possible I would try going for a much larger thunderbolt drive. If you can't afford a Pegasus, then try two separate external thunderbolt drives (one for your project/import/capture, and the second one as ONLY a backup of your first external drive). Ideally, they would have two thunderbolt ports per device to enable daisy-chaining. As soon as you finish importing/capturing any footage, immediately back it up to the second drive. Make this a habit.

All drives will fail eventually, so you need to plan your backups accordingly. This will be especially true on the mbpr because you will never be able to swap out the internal drive. Make sure you always have a backup of everything.

7. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

That depends on how much footage you are talking about and what you are doing with it. A lot of high bit rate footage will require bigger, faster storage a a lot of low bit rate footage. If you are working in multicam you'll need more bandwidth than if you are doing single camera work.

Lethal

8. HMI macrumors 6502a

HMI

I agree!

USB3 should work fine for single cam, provided the external drive itself is very fast. Avoid anything lower than 7200rpm for physical/mechanical drives. Try to buy as much space as you can, as long as you know the drive and connection speeds are both fast enough.

Hope this helps!

9. frozi thread starter macrumors member

I agree and fully understand why you would reccomend away from these little portable. I would love to get a Pegasus, but def out of my price range. Which external thunderbolts woudl you reccomend me to go with? Are you refering to raid-1 it?

10. HMI macrumors 6502a

HMI

At the moment there still aren't too many thunderbolt drives available yet.

Here are a couple that may work well for you:
    LaCie's 2big Thunderbolt Series - up to 6 TB.
    Elgato 240GB Thunderbolt Solid State Drive

They might be the best thunderbolt options given the cost.

For other connections, you can consider this:
    LaCie 3TB d2 Quadra Hard Disk Drive (once the FW800 adapter is released)

11. frozi thread starter macrumors member

I am leaning towards Lacie... 100 bucks cheaper than g-raid 4 tb.

thanks for the advice

12. HMI macrumors 6502a

HMI

welcome

No problem!

Make sure to check out the avid forums and more if you have any questions. There are a lot of very knowledgeable people there who can help.

Have fun cutting with mc6! It really is quite nice!

13. mBox macrumors 68020

If its last years and older LaCie then Id spent the 100 exra for GRAID.
    To date Im not sure where LaCie will be at due to their sale.
    LaCie have been known (and Ive experienced it) too many times to die fast.

14. frozi thread starter macrumors member

thanks everyone for the imput.

I wish there was a g-raid 2tb thunderbolt.

I guess if I drop the money on the 4tb I wont need to worry about another external for some time. But it looks like it can only go RAID-0.

I dont feel safe with that, espesially spending 700 bucks

15. mBox macrumors 68020

How long can you wait? I keep hearing soon as far as the smaller TB but again that was months ago.

16. HMI macrumors 6502a

HMI

I've heard that

Well, to be fair, by now, in 2012, I believe all/most drive manufacturers are "known" to have undesirably high fault rates. I've personally used Avid on HDCAM features with a mbp and Lacie drives. In my own experience they worked great, however, I do know others who experienced problems.

I think it is just the nature of manufacturing a fragile product for a mass market. At some point, the quality is bound to have hiccups (or major issues).

All I can recommend is that you do a lot of your own research to find the best drive that you are willing to trust. Whichever brand you choose will likely change over time, just like car brands or any other important purchase.

Good Luck!

17. HMI macrumors 6502a

HMI

Two drives

This is why I recommended two external drives. Raid gives you increased speed across multiple drives and automated protection, but isn't always necessary. Backups can be done manually to a second drive for much less money if that is what your budget decides. Using Raid 0 doesn't matter if you are backing up your data elsewhere anyway.

I think you might be surprised what can be accomplished with relatively inexpensive configurations.

Just a thought.

18. projectrally macrumors newbie

I have two of the LaCie 2Big TB raids, both 6TBs. They're great. I've been using them since early April, and not had a single issue with either of them. Not the quietest drives, but that doesn't bother me much.

I'm headed oversees for a two-month project in late July, and I'm going to need a mobile editing station while I'm away, so I've already placed my order for a new MBP+R. I can't wait for Avid to officially certify it (I'll be in the arctic by then), so I'm going to take a risk and hope it works right now. I really don't see why it wouldn't. The intel video card is powerful enough to run MC6,

My order's been in for a week, but I went through our company's business account, so we tend to get bumped to the front of the cue. I expect to get the thing sometime in the next ten days or so. Anyway, I configured the base 2.3GHz machine with 16GB ram, and I'm going to see how that runs MC6. I'll be the guinea pig, and I'll be sure to post the results here. If it doesn't work, I'll just return it to the local Apple store, and somebody else will buy it about ten minutes later.

19. frozi thread starter macrumors member

GOOD WORK!
    much appreciated

20. PodPacker macrumors regular

PodPacker

Second third and fourth that

DUDE! Don't buy a LaCie or Seagate drive. We has a bunch of LaCie drives for back up and guess what - All failed! I would never in my life trust LaCie again. I've had a Seagate drive fail on me and my friend had the same model fail on him as well. Also there was that whole issue with failing Seagate drives in Macs a few years ago.

DON'T DO IT!

21. JMG macrumors 6502a

JMG

Yes, I'm done with Lacie after 2 shows I was working on had issues transferring VFX to us and we lost some media from a previous season and had to batch import a bunch of sfx and mx. We used graid and now CalDigit drives. So far so good.

22. todus24 macrumors newbie

I'm a big RocStor fan for externals...

My two cents (and not shilling here, just another AVID editor) - we've used RocStor RocPro drives since we ran into them at the back of a Macworld expo a number of years ago. Fanless, MTBF for us has been infinite - vs. LaCie, which ate a few of our jobs over recent years. And, the RocPros are portable and modular. The model 900s have USB3 and FW800, so they'll work fine with the MBPR. I'm bummed that my MBP 17" is doomed to obsolescence, but the new 15" is beautiful. Good luck in the arctic...

23. projectrally macrumors newbie

Checked in with the guy who handles our Apple Business account, and he said the laptop isn't shipping until the 13th or 14th.

24. projectrally macrumors newbie

Well, sorry for the long delay. In the end, the laptop took a solid 4 weeks to arrive. Order on June 20th. Arrived on July 19th.

But it's here, and I've got it loaded up with Media Composer 6.0. So far so good! I've been working in a timeline for a feature length doc, and it's been stable and fast. The only real glitch I've seem to come across is that Avid doesn't recognize the boundaries of the screen very well when I'm running the display resolution in 1920x1200, which I usually do for more real estate. In the native "best for retina" 1440x900 resolution, the interface looks a bit soft and low-res, and you'd expect now that one pixel equals four. But in 1920x1200, the screen looks fantastic.

Of course, I'm running 10.7.4, which isn't officially supported by MC 6, so I don't expect it to operate without some errors. But so far everything works smoothly. Fingers crossed and wood knocked on.

25. mBox macrumors 68020

Oh thats normal. Avid from day one has never played nice with any window placement. worse when you have dual screens.
    sure its great on a laptop since it locks it to the single res but add another and it gets wacky.