Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coreybox

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2005
hello guys,

When using maps.google.com there is the option to avoid toll roads.

Does this functionality exist in the iPhone app? If it does I can't figure out how to enable it.

Many of the locations I specify bring up routes with roll roads, and I can't figure out how to choose any alternatives.

Thanks,
Corey

sr5878

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
how much more gas would you be wasting trying to avoid a $2 toll by trying to find your way around it?

Flhusky

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Florida
Sometimes you find really neat places off the beaten path(skipping toll roads).
Other times you are sorry you had taken the 'free' ride cause the 2 lane horse path your on is in worse shape then your freshman liver after pledging.:D

Thuongy

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2009
Figured it out!

I don't know if anyone has worked it out yet but if you want to avoid toll roads, in the iPhone maps app, at the end of the destination address put a space & type "no toll" and it will avoid toll roads. It makes me wonder "how much more can it do that we don't know about?"

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
I don't know if anyone has worked it out yet but if you want to avoid toll roads, in the iPhone maps app, at the end of the destination address put a space & type "no toll" and it will avoid toll roads. It makes me wonder "how much more can it do that we don't know about?"

Cool find! Anyone wanna confirm?

RandomGuy26

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2009
the mapquest app

hello guys,

When using maps.google.com there is the option to avoid toll roads.

Does this functionality exist in the iPhone app? If it does I can't figure out how to enable it.

Many of the locations I specify bring up routes with roll roads, and I can't figure out how to choose any alternatives.

Thanks,
Corey

the old mapquest app is the answer to your toll troubles my friend.. i dont know if they (mapquest)still has it in store.. with this new GPS thing out now.. but the old one definitely gave you the route and the functionality of avoiding toll roads.

tobinlam

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2010
This was an issue I was having and the "no toll" string on the end of the destination address worked for me.

Oops. Spoke too soon. It tried to send me on a different toll road to the wrong destination. No toll definitely does not work.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Go to the App Store and download google maps.. Worked for me!

This thread is years old!

But yes the Google map app has this function. When you are selecting a route after entering an address press route options > avoid tolls. You can also select avoiding highways and ferries.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I wish tolls around my area were only $2.

Right? Crossing the bridge between my and the neighboring county is 8 dollars where I live. Its much less expensive for me to avoid it just slightly less convenient.

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
Any real heads-up navigation app (I use Navigon) will have an "avoid toll roads" option.

I would not use Google Maps for real navigation.

TyShawn

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2010
I'm not bashing you but I've used Navagon google maps and the maps app and I don't see Navagon being the leader in this race.

Car you share your views on why you feel this way?

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
how much more gas would you be wasting trying to avoid a $2 toll by trying to find your way around it?

Sometimes I'm in a rental car that doesn't have the electronic badge to pay tolls and I've found a few roads that don't accept cash.

Apple maps will suggest several routes. A message does appear saying that a route includes tolls. If you click the different options you might find one that doesn't include tolls. The other thing I do is simply take the service road to avoid the tolls.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.