AVRCP with iPhone 3G S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macfanboy, Jun 13, 2009.

1. macfanboy macrumors 6502a

i've been hearing that in the 3.0 software, only pause/play works with A2DP headsets. Since the 3G S has 2.1 bluetooth, is it possible that it will support the full AVRCP protocol and allow ff/reverse with music playback?

2. hefeglass macrumors 6502a

i honestly dont know if it will allow full AVRCP..but im hoping so!

My main issue is the poor sound quality with the current bluetooth in the current 3g...sounds like crap.
    If they can fix the quality, then ill have a reason for wanting AVRCP to work. a2dp is pretty pointless without it

3. camarobh macrumors 6502

With a Sennheiser MM 200 play/pause and volume up/down work, but not fast forward/rewind.

4. macfanboy thread starter macrumors 6502a

do you have 3.0? Your post is confusing so i'll explain. The reason why the audio quality is bad now is because it doesn't have A2DP, which is the high quality audio bluetooth profile. AVRCP is the bluetooth profile that allows bluetooth devices to control playback. So far only pause/play has been working, but ff/reverse SHOULD be working but theyre not

but im speculating about 3G S because of its updated bluetooth. i know about current devices.

5. darkflounder macrumors regular

darkflounder

The audio quality on my Jaybird JB200 is pretty damn good with v3.0, better than it was with v2.2.1 and that damn bluetooth dongle. I'm so glad to be rid of that.

Wish 3.0 supported AVRCP, but if it did, then we wouldn't have anything to complain about, now would we.

6. dstager macrumors newbie

iphone 3gs sonyDR-BT101

Hi,

just got both iphone 3gs and sonyDR-BT101 headphones

working great

AVRCP only works for PLAY/PAUSE, not for NEXT/PREVIOUS

then sound is quite good, but I am not a melomaniac.

It all works very well for me.

The best part is that I don't have a wire to break now !

Dante

7. ikaka macrumors regular

ikaka

Please everyone visit http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html and let Apple know we want AVRCP on our iphones! C'mon it's a at leaset 3-4 year old technology!

8. yappersan macrumors newbie

AVRCP on iPhone

I have been sending messages to iPhone and I followed the link, ikaka, and posted more comments. I think Apple support folks are so full of themselves and I'm not so sure they really care!

9. hatchfan macrumors newbie

Bluetooth Helper

If you have a Stereo Bluetooth accessory that can only Play and Pause the iPhone, check out the Bluetooth Helper iPhone app. It enables you to skip tracks by tapping Play/Pause twice to skip to the next track, or three times to skip to the previous. It's a good stopgap until Apple enables full AVRCP on the iPhone (if they ever do). If you're jailbroken, it works in the background too.

I should disclose that the app was written by me. I have my own Motorola Bluetooth and I was pretty disappointed that it doesn't let you skip tracks on its own. Until now!

10. stuartf macrumors newbie

Thanks hatchfan

I ski with a bluetooth helmet. Digging the phone out of my pocket to change tracks is difficult, and risks dropping it from the lift. I tried bluetooth helper and it worked perfectly! Well worth the 99 cents. Now if I just could get the icy morning helper to fix my skiing.

11. chuckys1180 macrumors newbie

Music Controls

If you have a jailbroken iphone with cydia then you can download music control 1.2, it gives you FULL AVRCP support! Works perfect with pandora, regular ipod, xbmc streamer, and just about every music app. It also allows music apps like pandora to run in the backround. I finally get to use my track select buttons! It does have a 5 day free trial then asks you to purchase it for $4.99. Ive been using it for 3 days now along with my rocketfish MAB2 stereo bluetooth without any problems. :D

12. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

ill be waiting for some reviews. does this work directly in the ipod app? I know there was some other lame app that you had to use their app directly or something to get it to work. I forget what the name of it was.

13. chuckys1180 macrumors newbie

yup, works directly with the ipod app. AVRCP works and acts as if it came right from the factory.

14. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

AVRCP support does not work in the trial version. Won't be shelling out $5 for the app until I've had a go with it.

15. chuckys1180 macrumors newbie

I'm using it trial version so is the girl and one of my friends. Did you go to settings and activate your 5 day trial? If not your only running the free version, if so you might have to click reset to default setting (this happened on my girls and after I clicked restore defaults it worked fine).
    I have it working on 2 3gs and 1 3g all on 3.1.2, paired with a rocketfish mab2, moto s9 HD and a halo.

16. Natesac macrumors 6502a

Natesac

I Just don't understand how the iPhone does not already do this. Every other phone with A2DP does. The iPhone is the best iPod/music phone on the market and it's missing fairly standard features.

I need this feature so I can bite the bullet and get a sweet Bluetooth kit for my motorcycle helmet.

17. bmwhd macrumors 6502a

bmwhd

As much as I want this too, I'm having good luck using the voice control via my Interphone F4 BT headset in my helmet. Even at highway speeds its easy to change tracks and playlists.

18. Natesac macrumors 6502a

Natesac

How do you like that set? That was one of the ones I was looking at. I think if we can get the ff/rw + a nice BT kit + a turn by turn app working in the background = the hands down best phone for a motorcycle.

Right now I just use the in box apple headphones under my Arai. I can listen to music and skip track and pause and such. I really wish my tomtom app would work with the screen locked so I could have voice guidance in the helmet. Maybe one day.......

19. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

chuckys1180 - Thanks for the heads-up. That was indeed the problem. I now have full AVRCP support with my Jabra CRUISER, and am loving it. I even find that since installing Music Controls the Play/Pause button functions more reliably--perhaps it replaces the entire AVRCP bluetooth stack? In any case, I think I will have to register after all!

Navigon works with the screen locked, and I think it has better Text-to-speech. You might want to give that a try.

20. jbro1999 macrumors regular

thank you!! Works great using the SYNC in my Ford!

Now If I could only get it to read my text messages through bluetooth...

21. bmwhd macrumors 6502a

bmwhd

The F4 is a great setup. Plenty of volume and battery life, pairs up with the iPhone quick and easy. Callers report that I sound loud and clear even at speed.

22. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

music control 1.2
    Thanks, thanks, thanks. Have only been waiting 9 months for his.
    I have this working on JB 3G using Motorola S9.

23. noah82 macrumors 6502a

noah82

It is pathetic that this is a feature that we need to pay for.

24. chuckys1180 macrumors newbie

Seems that music controls replaces the iPhones bluetooth stack, I'm now 3 days past my trial end an my track select buttons STILL WORK!
    Lost all other features of the program but don't care since I didn't use any of them anyways.

25. Tiki35 macrumors 6502

Can I use this on my 3rd gen IPod touch even though it is not jailbroken. I certainly don't mind paying for it if avrcp works. Can someone post a download link please.